• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry styles

doc.storm

imported post

Curiosity has gotten the better of me, and I feel compelled to ask:

Does anyone who open carries, carry 'cowboy style'?

If so, why, if not, why not?

molonlabetn

imported post

Not sure what 'cowboy style' is, specifically, but if you mean OWB Strong-side, then yes. My favorite holsters are Blackhawk CQC SERPA and Don Hume 721OT. I don't wear super-tight jeans, cowboy-hat, or boots.

That, or taped to my forehead...

molonlabetn

doc.storm

imported post

:)I suppose I more or less meant, dual holstered, that sort of thing (think of a movie cowboy).

Not really certain why, exactly this would seem important for me to know.

jimwyant

imported post

It's not my "usual" carry, but I have, on more than one occasion, carried G20 right side and USP 45 Tactical left side. If I ever get around to buying another Alaskan, I'll get a LH holster for it and go true "cowboy style" (matching revolvers).

ChadW

imported post

I often will carry both of my S&W M64s on my belt. I have a nice basketweave holster from El Paso Saddlery for my strongside(RH)and a matching belt. For the left hand side I have a Don Hume JIT belt slide that is a RH rig but works good for a crossdraw. I am getting a matching LH holster from El Paso for my birthday next month if I can butter up my wife enough.:lol:

By the way I do wear a cowboy hat and boots. The matching revolvers just make the look.

doc.storm

imported post

I'm a cowboy action shooter, and I basically dress in victorian (late 19th century) fashion pretty much all the time - I always said, if I lived in an open-carry state, I'd look like a gunslinger of yore, double-hung cartridge belts, single-action revolvers, etc.

Call me a geek, or call me foolish, I just thought that would be keen.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I think I detect a certain flavor of fantasy...And to a degree I can relate with the fascination with the old west and the rigs. It would be quite the conversation generator, but I'd lean towards something more practical myself. Strong side OWB holster- But who am I foolin'? I havent OC'd yet.

doc.storm

imported post

Well, yeah, there's definitely some fantasy there - for one, I don't live in an open-carry state, and, unfortunately, Texas seems unlikely to become so any time too soon. As far as practicality goes - I can't, personally, see that it would be impractical, and it would be awfully convenient, for me.

possumboy

imported post

doc.storm wrote:
Well, yeah, there's definitely some fantasy there - for one, I don't live in an open-carry state, and, unfortunately, Texas seems unlikely to become so any time too soon. As far as practicality goes - I can't, personally, see that it would be impractical, and it would be awfully convenient, for me.
Come visit us here in Virginia. Make your fantasy a reality.

ChadW

imported post

I wouldn't say wearing two guns on your belt fulfills a fantasty, it is very prudent. They call it a New York reload, however since we are talking about two openly carried pistols, service sized guns I'll presume, I will call it a Dodge City reload.:D

Most people I know that have carried in this fashion usally carry revolvers. The second revolver is quicker to draw than reloading the first. However my best friend did carry two Glock 19's till I bought one of them. I may have to ask Santa for a another one so it won't be lonely.

savanacrystal

imported post

yes i carry 2 guns on my side one is a 22 and the other is a 9mm i carry both just in case one jams or i am in real need of two and besides i am a pettit chick people might think i am easily bullied and i live in a open carry state.

mercutio545

imported post

I like tactical thigh holsters. Mainly due to the fact that I wear t-shirts and don't tuck them in when dressed casually. If the shirt is covering the weapon, that would be a no-no. And you dont have to bend your arm as much to draw it...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I have when hunting (even bird shooting) carried a colt single action clone (OC) in a cross draw rig as it is very comfortable and accessible. It leaves the house with me in that position and stays there until I get home. Could that be called "Doc Holiday carry?"
CDA CWP - I was born in Nebraska, raised in Virginia and travel some, mostly south, west but never north to N.Y., N.J.,etc. Enjoy resting in my lodge and being warmed by the fire after a long trek in the woods.
Yata hey :D

psychophipps

imported post

I use a Ted Blocker thumb-breakbelt-slide holster for OC, myself. Also have Ted Blocker tilted internal-spring double magazine pouch held up with a, you guessed it, Ted Blocker pistol belt. His showroom was local to me until recently, you see.

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )