• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry styles

DJ TURNz

imported post

doc,BD45,CPA,

I wonder if one of you would be willing to discuss something with me through email?

Basic Guy

imported post

I have carried a custom ordered USFA revolver – basically a high end version of the Single Action Army – in a custom made, tooled rig while driving through AZ and NM on vacation. Most of the time I was wearing jeans, boots,, and western shirt and hat. The pistol and rig are a really good looking set so it doesn’t look as “aggressive” as a modern auto does to most people.

Of course I had a number of other pistols in the car and/or close at hand depending on the state laws of the location. I figured that the peacemaker would be enough for close work or to shoot my way to an “upgrade” if the threat needed more gun.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
Not sure what 'cowboy style' is, specifically, but if you mean OWB Strong-side, then yes. My favorite holsters are Blackhawk CQC SERPA and Don Hume 721OT. I don't wear super-tight jeans, cowboy-hat, or boots.

That, or taped to my forehead...

molonlabetn

Well...Fellow Arms Men...I have a Wonderful Story to tell You all.

On12/11/2006 @ about 5Pm MST my wife and I went in to Costco @ 106th So next to I-15.

My Outfit is Chippawah Boots, Wrangler Levi's, Wrangler Levi shirt, Light Brown Vest, Blue Scarf, Suit Coat and a Stetson on my head. Strapped to my hip under the Coat is an "old style" Vaquero 44mag in a Triple K Rooster Cogburn Rig - Deluxe, with 25 44mag caliber rounds shining to the world.
icon_cool.gif

After walking around for a while I got warm and took of my Coat and put it in the cart. We walked around looking at X-mas gifts and along the way we stopped plenty off Associates in the store when we had Questions. I even OPEN CARRIED thru check-out.

On the way out we decided to have a Polish and an Ice-cream, and while waiting for the food we were shooting the Breeze ( NO PUN INTENDED )with a Supervisior and he could absolutely NOT miss that a 44 was strapped to my hip.

while we were eating a older couple came by on the way out and stopped by our table and said "-I don't think You get this alot if at all. But THANK YOU for Carrying Open. THANK YOU for upholding OUR CONSTITIONAL RIGHT. We need more of that." I was caught off guard but Happy when I understood what he said. I said Thank You Very Much
icon_biggrin.gif
, and they went on their way.

HAPPY AND SATISFIED COSTCO "OPEN CARRY" CUSTOMER.

"With Great Power comes Great Responsibility"

P.S

I've done the same carry @ RC Wiley @ 3 different locations and ALL three LEO's just smiled @ me an let me on my way. The one LEO asked me "-is that thing for REAL" I said "-44mag would FEEL REAL to me " he said "-yes it would" and left me alone:lol:

D.S

EagleFiveZero

imported post

I have two different holsters I use for either my Kimber 1911 or SW99 -- eithera Yacqui belt slide holster or a Fobus paddle holster on the strong side and a double mag carrier on the support side next to my cell phone. As I've said before, those of us who choose to OC should review and refresh our sidearm retention combatives skills.

Tomahawk

imported post

ne1 wrote:
What NOT to do:

Man arrested for concealed carry while nude.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2628444
Officers drew their weapons and firefighters were called to the scene. Sheehan removed a 6-inch metal awl wrapped in black electrical tape without incident.
An awl in his butt? Guess he'd have had to be careful sitting down.

And cops drawing guns and getting firemen to pull an awl out of some naked guy's ass. That's just too damn funny.

Meathook

imported post

As a volunteer firefighter I hope they called a paid firefighter for the extraction because there is no way you could get me to do that short of using the jaws of life or a K12. :shock:

teknoid

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
ne1 wrote:
What NOT to do:

Man arrested for concealed carry while nude.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2628444
Officers drew their weapons and firefighters were called to the scene. Sheehan removed a 6-inch metal awl wrapped in black electrical tape without incident.
An awl in his butt? Guess he'd have had to be careful sitting down.

And cops drawing guns and getting firemen to pull an awl out of some naked guy's ass. That's just too damn funny.
It DID say he was fresh out of prison. I guess there might have been some extra room in there after he was released...

LeagueOf1291

imported post

If I ever work up the nerve to OC, I'm going to do it the most comfortable way I can think -- cross-draw on the left of my waist. That way I can sit, stand, and walk as comfortably as possible.