• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Know How to Sing More than Just One Song

EagleFiveZero

imported post

Every one of us should do his or her best to not only be competent and reliable with our daily-carry sidearm and any back-up gun ('BUG') we utilize, but we should also remember that our skill sets need to be 'integrated' -- meaning that we need to have more than "just one option" when it comes to self-defense and the defense of others.

It makes sense to know how to handle different kinds of firearms, of course. But not every self-defense situation is going to call for the use of a firearm. The old saying goes that "If all you have is a hammer, every problems starts to look like a nail."

From that perspective, it makes good sense to acquire training in empty-hand combatives skills, including grappling, takedowns, arm-bars, and joint-locking techniques as well as the use of the defensive folding knife that many of us carry in addition to our sidearm. It's my view that many who are CCW permit-qualified develop an unrealistic over-confidence based on the assumption that our most likely self-defense scenario will call for the use of lethal force.

Based solely on statistics, that's normally not the case. That is why our skill sets and our defensive options need to be broad enough to call up those skills needed at any given time - without having to stop and think about it. The classic 'muscle memory' model that so many of us have heard repeated time and again in training. That's why practice of our skills needs to be frequent enough to translate into muscle memory, and we need to have more than just the shooting & marksmanship skills needed for effective firearm combat.

There is an excellent article about all of this in the May/June issue of Concealed Carry magazine on Page 32 in their 'Tactics and Training' category entitled "The Case for Integrated Training".

Recommended reading for all.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

What a great post. I agree thoroughly.

Before I got as old and fat as I am, I studied both taekwondo and hapkido. I never could kick to the head, but my TKD instructor was great at incorporating techniques from many different disciplines. Hapkido by its nature incorporates joint locks and takedowns. When my hapkido master asked why I wanted to learn, I said because if someone tried to attack me, I wanted to disable him long enough to draw my gun and my cell phone.

I also took Insights Training's "Unarmed Self Defense" course. Excellent weekend.

tess

cs9c1

imported post

I don't believe you can ever go wrong studying any type of self defence. Things you learn from one style or art can almost always be incorporated into another, firearms training included. To me the most important thing is finding out what works for you and what does not. Not everyone cankick 6' in the air and not everyone can aim in the same manner. I for one am right handed but left eyed. (I know, I'm weird)

jimwyant

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
I for one am right handed but left eyed. (I know, I'm weird)
I guess that would make me weird too - I am also right handed and left eye dominant.

Back to the subject of this thread, does anyone have any suggestions of good courses to take? My military experience was technical, not combat, and although I went through Florida's LE training, I never served in the profession. I have since gotten somewhat old, rather fat (and slow), and have managed to avoid involvement in any significant physical altercations throughout my entire adult life.

cs9c1

imported post

jimwyant wrote:
I am also right handed and left eye dominant.

Back to the subject of this thread, does anyone have any suggestions of good courses to take?

It makes shooting the long gun, IE: M-16, tough for long periods of time.

Dominion Shooting Range is the only place I know of that offers any training.

jimwyant

imported post

I use my right eye when I shoot long guns, since I don't do so all that often. The eye is fine, just non-dominant and a little weaker than my left.

As for Dominion, I have read about their classes, and have heard good things. I just have this problem with their refusal to make an exception to their "no loaded weapons" policy for CHP holders, so I won't do business there. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

starbuck

imported post

I carry a firearm, a knife, and hold 3rd Dan black belts in Tang Soo Do, and Taekwondo, and also train in Hapkido for grappling (and work as an instructor of the first two).
I feel I'm a fairly well-rounded person.

panic215

imported post

"I for one am right handed but left eyed. (I know, I'm weird)"

I shoot handguns right-handed and long guns, left-handed. I too am left eye dominant. Maybe we are all weird here :lol:

Cheers,

Jason