• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrying a rifle?

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

When I was first taking my CCW in Texas several years ago our instructor told us "never carry a gun you can't afford (or don't want) to lose. I guess that has sort-of stuck with me. I'd hate to lose my Mini-14 or my .357 lever action cowboy. I also have some "keep sakes" I'd hate to lose. So I take these to the range when I want to shoot them. Same goes for my OC or CC handgun. But I have started OCing my 1911. I'd be heart broke if I had to use it in an emergency and then had it confiscated as evidence and never got it back. But on the other hand, shooting it is like an extension of my hand and I know without a doubt if I did have to use it I wouldn't miss.

Arizona-Texan

UpNYSteve

imported post

Over the summer I was working with my friend formhigh schooland we would have to drive around and check utily poles inrural New York, and I mean rural, so we would keep my AR-15 in a rack on the back window. During this time there was a cop killer running around stealing cars and braking in to summer homes to steal food and guns. One day well the truck was parked, in front of several homes for safety, I was walking to it well he was walking from it a State Tropper puled up to me and ask what was going on and I told him what we were doing and all he asked was if the mag was out. After telling him yes he told me to have a nice day and left. Heard it from the supporvser though, told it was not a comany car and he couldn't tell us not to carry it and he said no more. So I guess its all about were you are, New Yorks bad in most parts but not all I got a full carry license in two weeks, not the norm for most of the state.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

A couple points to make on this ANCIENT thread I've dredged up from the back of the "book":

1. In Switzerland, EVERY male citizen maintains an ASSAULT RIFLE (and/or a pistol in the case of officers)in their homesas a member of the militia from ages 20 to 30. http://pages.prodigy.net/vanhooser/the_swiss_and_their_guns.htm

Wouldn't that be WONDERFUL if we had the same requirement???

2. Rifle in a folding chair bag? GENIUS! I have to check tomorrow if my WASR (Romanian AK-47) fits in one of my Coleman folding chairbags. If so, I may start carrying one more "folding chair" in the car when I drive to some of the "less friendly" areas of Hampton Roads. I've always worried about being outgunned when I travel in Norfolk and some parts of Hampton and Newport News.

Thundar

imported post

Long Gun Open Carry (LGOC) is legal in Virginia. You cannot conceal carry a long gun.

Somepeople do open carry long guns, but there are some on this board that try to convince you not to do it.

Virginia is a free state. Sling it over your shoulder and carry if you want to.

Make sure you know the law before you start LGOC.

It does get some attention.

One word of advice. Whena LEO asks you why you open carry a rifle, do not say "better vest penetration".

Chuckles

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Here is a picture from Switzerland, via wikipedia. This man's assault rifle is supposed to be unloaded by regulation but I bet no one goes around checking.
450px-Caroline-Migros-p1000507.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland
For a country ofalmost 8million people, they probably have less murders than DC.

GQflyboy

imported post

I'm blind as heck, and surfing on an iPhone so I may have missed it, but it says "center fire" nothing about rim fire.

I might have to sling the .22 over my shoulder an cruise downtown Norfolk.

BTW as I'm posting this I'm at greenies with the S&W 539 and it's like no one even cares or notices.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Thundar wrote:
One word of advice. Whena LEO asks you why you open carry a rifle, do not say "better vest penetration".
I don't care WHO you are, THAT's funny right there! Seriously, I can't think of a reason to slingthe AK over my shoulder with a 20-round magazine inserted and take a stroll on the Yorktown waterfront UNLESS I really want tocheck the response time forthe York County Sheriff's Department SWAT "Pick Up Team". I know a couple of the guys ont he team personally, but I seriously doubt that tidbit would be much help in the ensuing conversation.

Renegade

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Seriously, I can't think of a reason to slingthe AK over my shoulder with a 20-round magazine inserted and take a stroll on the Yorktown waterfront UNLESS I really want tocheck the response time forthe York County Sheriff's Department SWAT "Pick Up Team". I know a couple of the guys ont he team personally, but I seriously doubt that tidbit would be much help in the ensuing conversation.
I can't imagine it being that bad of a meeting. York County appears to be ahead of most others regarding their knowledge of open carry. Maybe the first time they see a rifle they may react but news travels fast in their group and I can't imagine it being a long term problem.

GQflyboy

imported post

I'm really tempted to waltz around with a shot gun just to see what would happen.

Everytime we deploy we get a brief about prohibited items on the contracted jet. One of the items is a shot gun with a barrel shorter than 18 inches. I always get a mental image of waltzing up with a shot gun across my back and a guy with a tape measurer just waiting for me.

"sorry sir, you measure at 17.75, your going to have to lock that thing up, it's unsafe, you need another 1/4 inch."

I'll leave the joke out of it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Renegade wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
Seriously, I can't think of a reason to slingthe AK over my shoulder with a 20-round magazine inserted and take a stroll on the Yorktown waterfront UNLESS I really want tocheck the response time forthe York County Sheriff's Department SWAT "Pick Up Team". I know a couple of the guys ont he team personally, but I seriously doubt that tidbit would be much help in the ensuing conversation.
I can't imagine it being that bad of a meeting. York County appears to be ahead of most others regarding their knowledge of open carry. Maybe the first time they see a rifle they may react but news travels fast in their group and I can't imagine it being a long term problem.
I have to agree with that. I used to spend a lot of time at Yorktown and all my contacts with the Sheriffs office were good. One time a fellow jumped off of the bridge. The first person on the scene was a Deputy. I was there with my Kayak and asked if he wanted me to get him.

He said "we're not supposed to encourage it but he's going to drown before our guys get here"
Turned out to be a clown that just jumped for the fun of it and was in no danger of drowning.

nova

imported post

GQflyboy wrote:
"sorry sir, you measure at 17.75, your going to have to lock that thing up, it's unsafe, you need another 1/4 inch."
one of the many reasons most manufacturers put out shotguns that are 18.5, to give a little 'safety' room so that doesn't happen! :D.

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GQflyboy wrote:
I'm really tempted to waltz around with a shot gun just to see what would happen.

Everytime we deploy we get a brief about prohibited items on the contracted jet. One of the items is a shot gun with a barrel shorter than 18 inches. I always get a mental image of waltzing up with a shot gun across my back and a guy with a tape measurer just waiting for me.

I'll leave the joke out of it.
I was just dared to walk into my local Bank Of America Branch OC'n a shotgun... So when you decide to do it, lemme know, and we'll go make a deposit!

SANDRAT

imported post

When I was in Jr High,I had a sling on my single shot 12 GA so I could carry it on my bicycle,I would bring it to school and leave it in the shop teachers office so we could go hunting after school.My how times have changed!!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

SANDRAT wrote:
When I was in Jr High,I had a sling on my single shot 12 GA so I could carry it on my bicycle,I would bring it to school and leave it in the shop teachers office so we could go hunting after school.My how times have changed!!
Haven't they now!
We left our rifles in the Principles office. Of course...we also had a smoking area in High school.

Renegade

imported post

My wife carried my CAR-15 and AKS-762 (AK clone) into school when she was a senior. Her class required a comparative speech or something like that. This was of course in rural Florida...nearly two decades ago.

When I dropped her off I suggested that she take both cased firearms into the Principal's office for storage. They remarked that they had no interest in keeping them nor did they have any room - they suggested that she keep both rifles in her locker!

After completing the speech and while still holding the CAR in her hand she smiled and asked the teacher what her grade was. Needless to say she earned an A+ for her speech.

taurusfan

imported post

In Virginia, this is a strange right we have to OC a rifle as holders of the concealed handgun permit, what were they thinking? Why make it legal to carry such in a large Virginia city?

hsmith

imported post

glockfan wrote:
In Virginia, this is a strange right we have to OC a rifle as holders of the concealed handgun permit, what were they thinking? Why make it legal to carry such in a large Virginia city?
Yeah, crazy how they let those common citizens exercise their rights. Should only be reserved for police and politicians!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

hsmith wrote:
glockfan wrote:
Yeah, crazy how they let those common citizens exercise their rights. Should only be reserved for police and politicians!
+1

American Rattlesnake

imported post

glockfan wrote:
Let me turn your question around; why make it illegal to carry a rifle in a Virginia city?

hsmith

imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
glockfan wrote:
Let me turn your question around; why make it illegal to carry a rifle in a Virginia city?
Look at his "location" - it will answer your question.