• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrying a rifle?

nova

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
GQflyboy wrote:
*Major Snip*"sorry sir. . . you need another 1/4 inch."

I'll leave the joke out of it.

That's what she said.:p

Hey, it was either finish the joke myself, or wait for someone else to do it.
:lol:

Outside of the gun law world, a 1/4" means nothing. ;) :)

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

VApatriot wrote:
That's a great picture!

However, I just thought of something that might come up if someone were to OC a rifle.  Does anyone think that you could be charged with brandishing if you had a rifle either in your hands or slung over your back?
The essence of the crime of brandishing a firearm isn't possession of the firearm, it's the use of the firearm for the purpose of intimidating or coercing another person.  Even if you've got a gun in a holster, hidden from common observation, with a CHP, and you tell someone about it with the intention that they alter their behavior, that's brandishing a firearm, in my opinion.  In fact, that's the difference between brandishing and assault with a deadly weapon: you've actually got to present the gun in such a way as to make a person think he might be shot in order to be found guilty of the assault charge.

Don Barnett

imported post

I just ran into the ex-wife of a friend of mine who had moved away and taken a job as a 911 operator in Fairfax County near the Mt. Vernon area.

After some small talk, I asked her whether she has calls about a "man with a gun" and she said that she does all the time. She said that they are trained to ask what the person is doing with it, they explain that it is perfectly legal, but they are obliged to send a LEO anyway...just to allay the fears of the caller.

Then she volunteered the fact that in her area a man (perhaps you recognize yourself) open carries a rifle. Still, it is legal and she gets calls about him all the time. She said that all the store owners know him, say "Hi", and the LEO's just arrive, say "Hi" and leave.

Just for your information.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

2Jugzz wrote:
I have been re-assured numerous times by the local LEO's that carrying a rifle in Hampton is perfectly legal.
I understand the "it is legal" aspect and do not disagree.

I see long guns as being primarily offensive guns (unless I'm defending against zombies attacking my home 20) and hand guns as primarily defensive arms.

With the uber awareness of our citizenry so obvious, I would avoid hanging out near shopping malls, highway overpasses, churches and universities while OCing a long gun. That is just me. Even a sheep dog can scare the sheep if he acts like a wolf.

It may be legal and in accord with the 2 Amend., but doing so blatantly to just show that I can, is not me. It is not the way I work to promote and educate about OC and RKBA.

It is IMHO the conduct (the actions of the armed citizen) that counts for positive or negative benefit, not the size or color of the gun.

Yata hey

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I agree with the offensive/defensive analysis.  Carrying a long gun around in an urban area can also get you shot.  If someone else (cop or not) thinks he or an innocent third party is being threatened with serious bodily injury, he may just go ahead and shoot.  They could well be totally wrong, but you'll be totally dead.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

+1

I'd rather not be "dead right".

The carrying of a long arm could be considered by Joe Citizen as an unfriendly act that required his immediate attention. He might just call 911 and let LE settle it or settle it himself by dusting off his 100 year old shotgun and confronting you.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

This subject just keeps coming up and never really gets settled.
I disagree to a point with Grapeshot. A rifle is not necessarily an offensive tool, in fact is a better defensive weapon than a a handgun....

BUT......

Only if you have it with you. Therein is the problem. Is it prudent to stroll around the Burbs with a rifle. IMHO, no, and it does you little good to have it in the truck unless you are in or near the truck.

Marching around with a slung rifle in a heavily populated area, reminds me of a stunt the Neo Nazis or KKK would do. Both groups I have a sincere dislike for.

We should not be on parade when exercising our 2end amendment rights....and yes, I am guilty just like many others. I wore my BFR to a dinner:( I shouldn't have though and it's all Skidmarks and Grapeshot's fault:p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

So were does all of this leave me with respect to my belief that the 2nd Amend is the strongest affirmation ( and should not be abridged) of my natural right to be able to defend myself?

OC of a hand gun is IMO the single most effective means of providing those things I wish to accomplish: (In descending order of importance)
1) Most efficient means of carrying for defensive purposes.
2) Discourages BGs.
3) Educates others by example and conversation.
4) Makes a political statement.

OCing a long gun regularly would, at best, satisfy only one or two of those reasons and it would gain me a lot of unwanted notoriety.

Nothing requires you to agree with me on all points - those are my reasons.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
So were does all of this leave me with respect to my belief that the 2nd Amend is the strongest affirmation ( and should not be abridged) of my natural right to be able to defend myself?

OC of a hand gun is IMO the single most effective means of providing those things I wish to accomplish: (In descending order of importance)
2) Discourages BGs.

OCing a long gun regularly would, at best, satisfy only one or two of those reasons and it would gain me a lot of unwanted notoriety.

Yata hey
\+1...Couldn't agree more!

MSC 45ACP

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

2) Discourages BGs.

Yata hey
+1...Couldn't agree more!
Grapeshot makesa finepoint. Well-put my Brother! Thank you for your eloquence!

Thundar

imported post

The Kel-tec SU-16 is a fine example of an easy to carry rifle that provides much more capability that the average handgun without significant hassle frombeing long and unmanageable in an urban environment. (It folds in half)Not a big deal to carry, but it is a preference thing.