• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wanted: OC'er who happens to be a Linux System Administrator

cREbralFIX

imported post

I know this isn't OC related, but I didn't see a "miscellaneous" section.

Since I get to help pick who sits in my office, I'd prefer a local "four percenter" and gun enthusiast. We'll train in company specific areas, as well as weak spots. Skills you'll need:

1) Linux system administration skills and experience. Though we use one particular flavor, skills in any distro will translate over. If you're a Windows Admin who plays with Linux, you'll probably be lost very quickly.
2) Perl and bash programming. We have lots of custom code that you'll have to wade through to get up to speed. C, Java, php, and C++ are not really needed, but are good for background.
3) Some network switch experience would be great, but not essential. We'll train as needed because our stuff is custom.
4) ISC DNS experience. The more you know about configuring a server, handle the zone files, and troubleshooting, the better.
5) DHCP ... light experience may be helpful, but not essential.
6) Tech writing. This is VERY helpful because we actually document our procedures.

System Admins are not required to use Windows in this company. Apples laptops are available and many techies have Linux on their Dell workstation.

Location is Reston, VA.

Please PM me if you are interested.

cREbralFIX

possumboy

imported post

Do you get to carry at work? That would be a reason to switch.

Which distro do you use?

Everything seems easy except the programming - I quit that years ago.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Nope, no carry at work. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a company where I can carry.

This is not an easy job. There is lots to learn and the network is huge. You will be pushed hard and do tons of projects.

cREbralFIX

imported post

We're still looking for a Unix or Linux System Administrator here at AOL. The location is Reston, VA.

The main skills required are system administration and some light programming/scripting in bash and perl (java, TCL, php, python, ksh, c--, and c++ may come in handy). We're going to a more automated system, so changes will be easier to handle. However, you still should know some DNS. We expect to spend lots of time training you. There are many parts to this job that include working with switches, servers, DNS, DHCP, and so forth. We also test applications and patches in our lab, so some knowledge of test procedures will be helpful. AOL offers lots of free training and you'll be expected to get Linux certified on AOL's dime.

The company is currently going through layoffs, but this position is in operations. Though there are no guarantees, you shouldn't be worried about this round. Operations is central to the functioning of the company and doesn't get hit like the marketroids and customer service departments.

I really like this job. There are many challenges and I'm definitely not bored. I get to maintain servers, work on DNS, write lots of code, and play around with switches. This job DEFINITELY isn't focused around watching backups or anything like that. You'll have your hand in many high profile projects.

If this sounds interesting and you have a clue about Unix and/or Linux system administration, DNS, and programming, please send me a resume.

Thanks,

Tom

crebralfix@yahoo.com