• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Open Carry

Taclead

imported post

I have studied VAs Open Carry Laws and the gist is: In Virginia, one may carry a handgun in the open with no license. Loaded handguns on the seat or dashboard in plain view while in a vehicle are fine. Carrying concealed in places that serve alcohol is prohibited, even licensed, but open carry there is allowed.

However, during the Safety Course the instructor specifically told me that if I open carry and someone complains I could be cited for "Disturbing the Peace", also he said I must lock up my firearm in the trunk while traveling in Newport News/Yorktown. Is this true? Can someone please give me the benefit of their wisdom on this topic?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Your first paragraph is correct. I have no clear idea why your instructor said you had to put your pistol in the trunk in NN and Yorktown. The Yorktown Battlefield Park is Federal Territory as is the Colonial Parkway, so there, the firearm must be stored away. Otherwise you can carry openly to your heart's content in Yorktown. It's a bit more likely you'll be hassled in NN because the political climate is more urban there. Just the same, I have open carried extensively in both places for about 2 years with no problems at all.

Disturbing the peace? I think that would be a false arrest, since open carry is NOT ILLEGAL in VA, and you can't be charged with a crime for doing something that isn't a crime, right?

Check out the numerous threads in this site, and you'll see many references to OC in NN and York.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Taclead wrote:
However, during the Safety Course the instructor specifically told me that if I open carry and someone complains I could be cited for "Disturbing the Peace", ...

This is the sort of urban legend we hear time and time again from folks who don't open carry but think thay know what happens if you open carry - almost no matter what the state, finding any documentation of such harassment is hard to do, and often such harassment, when it occurs actually helps us clear the air - if open carry is not illegal, then it is legal.

Some gun owners can be their own worst enemies!

Open carry is quite common in VA, required in restaurants. If you have a CHP, you have a hedge against a false charge of concealed carry (outside of restaurants). if your conduct is otherwise lawful and you go about your business like a good fella, you'll be fine, and most people won't notice or won''t care.

There are exceptions - Washington state's law is a bit vague - one criminal case suggests that a handgun openly carried might be a violation of state law if the hammer is back and it is carried in the waste band without a holster (never mind that some handguns are in safe mode with hammer back).

OK, so word to the wise in WA state - don't open carry without a holster or locked & cocked.

But remember - "normal" is what people do are are known to do. As open carry spreads in practice, it will spread in acceptance.

possumboy

imported post

Is there a way to educate this personthat they are giving false information?

Maybe have them include OCDO's and VCDL's websitein the classes to farther the education of those taking the class.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have a question about open carry and concealed carry (with proper permit, of course) on the Dulles Toll Road. Would one be in violation of the law if they had a firearm (handgun), whether open or concealed, driving on theDulles Toll Road? I was told that Washington, D.C. has an agreement with Virginia, which makes Virginia Gun Laws not applicable (and makes Washington, D.C. Gun Laws applicable. I am trying to find out so that Idon't break the law when I go to Ashburn from Springfield, VA to visit my friend.Thanks in advance for your help.

2nd Amendment.......Use it........Or, lose it!!!:X

Smurfologist

imported post

Thanks Longwatch. You da man!!! By the way, I will open carry for the first time tonight at the McDonalds on Rolling Road near West Springfield HS. I also conceal carried in Springfield Mall yesterday (first time outside of my car). Give me time to actually venture out to other places. I just don't want to do anything that will land me in jail.:)I admire what you do on this board. Keep up the good work!

2nd Amendment........Use it........Or, lose it!!!!:X

zoom6zoom

imported post

during the Safety Course the instructor specifically told me that if I open carry and someone complains I could be cited for "Disturbing the Peace",
This only applies in Virginia if you are carrying on private property and are requested to leave. If you refuse, you may be cited for Criminal Trespass (a misdemeanor). Posted "no guns" signs do not carry any weight of law, but should be a good indicator of what to expect.

Smurfologist

imported post

jimwyant wrote:
FedEx and UPS are just like any other business, and may prohibit by posting signs or by order of management, but are not automatically prohibited. See http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html for an interesting point of view on USPS.

I read that link before. All it did was leave me still wondering. So, I willmake a"When in doubt" judgement call. I really don't want to go to jail or lose my job. Thanks for your response!:X

2nd Amendment..........Use it..........Or, lose it!!

jimwyant

imported post

After reading the argument that Mr. Firriolo has presented, I do carry in my local post office. Most of the employees know me on a first name basis, and I seriously doubt if they would say anything if I were to OC, even if they thought I was in the wrong. However, if a customer noticed and complained, or an over-zealous LEO was to see me, I may very well have a problem. Since I really don't want to be the test case, I make sure that my weapon is well concealed and not printing. As for The UPS Store (they do handle US Mail) and FedEx, I have OC'ed more than once at both with no comments, only a double-take from the kid behind the counter at UPS.

Smurfologist

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Sure wish I lived in Virginia instead of this Anti-2A saturated State of Michigan:cuss:

SpringerXDacp, just bethankful that you can (at least) carry concealed. H**l, in DC and MD (which I live near), I can't even opencarry or dream about carrying at all in DC (smile)!:X

2nd Amendment.......Use it..........Or, lose it!!!!!

woodstock

Opt-Out Members
imported post

jimwyant wrote:
FedEx and UPS are just like any other business, and may prohibit by posting signs or by order of management, but are not automatically prohibited. See http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html for an interesting point of view on USPS.
I've read that material before and can appreciate the sentiment. But, Title 18 isn't the only federal "law of the land" we have to be aware of. There's also the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR.) The part that applies to this question is Title 39 of the CFR, Chapter 1 Part 232, Section 232.1(l) Conduct on Postal Property.
The link is: http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...access.gpo.gov/cfr_2006/julqtr/39cfr232.1.htm

And it says, "(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes."

Seems pretty clear, so maybe UPS gets all my business that can't be conducted from my home mailbox.

Disclaimer - I'm not a lawyer. I did have to check a lot of this out when asking for a waiver to carry to a place I used to work. (I didn't get the waiver!)

jimwyant

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Does VA state law enumerate post offices as prohibited areas?
Not that I have been able to find, and I have looked, but you may want to do your own search. IANAL

woodstock - There is an addendum near the bottom of the page in which the gentleman addresses the Title 39 CFR point that you brought up. Check out his argument for that one, too.

woodstock

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Yeah, I saw that at the bottom of his page after I clicked "Send", I gotta learn to notice that durn scroll bar!

But as I said, I tried to sidestep the CFR when I needed a waiver. The security people at the facility I worked at had no sympathy and didn't hesitate to deny my request, even when I pointed out in the CFR that the guy in charge had authority to grant waivers. I didn't want to carry at work, just in the car on the way to and from so I wouldn't be unarmed when I arrived home. I offered to lock it up before entering the gate. As an alternative I asked for a secure locker at the gate; no such luck.

In the opinion of the feds, the CFR has all the force of law. I certainly won't be the test case! This is one of those debates that'll go on forever, or until someone is prosecuted and the court decides.

Thanks for the discussion.