• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Black or stainless slide?

Opie

imported post

I'm shopping for a small semi-auto pistol and started wondering about whether to get one in all black or one with a stainless steel slide. I figure that an all black gun would be less obtrusive, but might say "LEO wannabe". On the other hand, during the past few months that I have been actively looking for people who are open carrying I noticed that there are a TON of people who carry their cell phones in holsters. It made me think that a pistol with a stainless slide might be less noticeable than an all black pistol, since at a glance it might look more like a silver cell phone in a black holster. Anyway, I was just curious to see what anyone else thought, and if there are other considerations to the black/stainless question. Thanks! -Opie

jimwyant

imported post

For the most part, it is a personal preference. Don't worry about the "LEO wannabe" thing. Most of the autopistols carried for personal defense are black - folks just love those Glocks and XD's, LEO and civilian alike. Even with people used to seeing cell phones, etc. being carried by the masses, I think black is less noticeable than polished stainless. Buy what you like that you feel will best suit your carry style. I'm a revolver guy myself, and I opt for the "satin" stainless finish if the manufacturer doesn't offer the model I want in black. This type of finish isn't flashy and doesn't catch light like chrome, which is my biggest complaint with polished stainless. My $0.02.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My regular carry pistol is a S&W 3913TSW, which is a matte finish alloy. I realy like the "look", not to mention how well I shoot with it. That said, my Beretta 92FS is all black, but I've started to look at havingthe slideplated. The "gun-metal" finish just looks good to me.

cs9c1

imported post

I agree with Jimwyant. Get what you want, and what works for YOU. I personally like some of the colors that areavailablein certain brands like the XD's and H&K's.

VAspringer

imported post

If you are really comfortablewith OC why be concerned with trying to make your carry gun less than "obvious?"

My feeling is this.....I have several different carry guns...revolvers and "slides." I'm comfortable and accurate with all of them. I like to think of them often times as a fashion statement. :D What am I wearing? very casual ? Business attire? what colors? Does the holster and belt match the pants, shirt, jacket etc...?;) Am I going to have to conceal on that day??? etc.... etc..... I am very serious about this. I consider my choice of weapon often based on wardrobe, weather, or the conditions or "neighborhoods" I may be in on any given day.

My collection ranges from a S&W 640 2" .357......S&W 686 8" custom .357 to an Ed Brown custom stainless #1911. Something to meet the need of the day or the trip.

I really believe you not only have to be good with what you carry....but also like it.

The more you like it............the more you will carry it.

Just my opinion

Opie

imported post

VAspringer wrote:
...I like to think of them often times as a fashion statement. :D What am I wearing? very casual ? Business attire? what colors? Does the holster and belt match the pants, shirt, jacket etc...?;) Am I going to have to conceal on that day??? etc.... etc..... I am very serious about this. I consider my choice of weapon often based on wardrobe, weather, or the conditions or "neighborhoods" I may be in on any given day...
I like the way you think! Maybe someday we'll be able to get grips and slide covers with different colors or college logos like they have now for cell phones. I am partial tostainless, and have a.357 Magnum stainless revolver but am opting for an all black semi-auto as my next purchase. Thanks for for the feedback! -Opie

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

VAspringer wrote:
I consider my choice of weapon often based on wardrobe, weather, or the conditions or "neighborhoods" I may be in on any given day.

My collection .........S&W 686 8" custom .357 ...
I wonder what goes with that one....:lol:

preacher

imported post

If you think maybe your pistol in a holster could look like a cellphone, you either have a very large cellphone, or a tiny pistol.

Honestly, most people do not notice regardless if you dress conservatively. Maybe that red white and blue one could attract more attention than a black or silver one.

But, even being very tall and long-haired, in my regular t shirts and jeans I have noticed that probably only 5% of people ever see it.

AbNo

imported post

If it helps, I OC a Bi-Tone (stainless slide on black frame) XD-40 Service.

Then again, it was a gift, so I didn't get any say in it. :lol:

It seems the only times anyone has noticed are when they were going out of their way to get in my business. Like "Skulker" at Tractor Supply Co the other day... :cuss:

Drewesque

imported post

[align=left]I generally carry a bitone XD45, though I may start carrying my black Steyr M40 a bit. Neither one is especially flashy, and I like the look of both. It all comes down to preference. If you like the black guns, get one. If you prefer stainless, get that. If you want a red gun, get it gunkoted. THere are options to suit your tastes.

Don't ask which one you should want. You'll just end up kicking yourself if you change your mind based on someone else's preferences.
[/align]