Thread: Open Carry Story - Bob Evans

Post imported post

Tonight my wife, two daughters (5 & 3) and I went to Bob Evans for supper in Fort Wright Kentucky (Kenton County). I was OC my .40 cal Millenium Pro with my spare mag holder on the opposite hip.

Not so much as once glance from anyone that I noticed walking from the car to the restaurant, being seated, eating, using the restroom or paying. Afterwards we went over to Speedway for icees and again, not one look at all.

Some days you feel you have a massive growth on your hip that people can't take their eyes off, but then days like today, no one even notices.

At the advice of some forum members I've started to carry using the rig pictured below rather than my open top that I previously used.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

Nice setup. Looks real sharp.

I know what you mean. I use to be very subconscious when I CCed and still get that way when I OC. But it made CC feel normal.

Post imported post

Good job, Wingman! Sharp looking rig, too, nice retention, I would think.

BTW, did you see on PDO where a KY guy was pulled over in Florence KY, minor traffic violation,and the cop tried to tell him that a permit is needed for glovebox carry?

Humbug!

He got no joy from the Chief, to whom he complained, and several of us have entreated him to contact his Representative.

Dangerous precedents will be set if the cops get by with this crap!

BTW, I do not consider myself anti-LEO,just pro-freedoms!

Power to you for excercising your right to open carry, especially since you live in Northern KY, which might SEEM less gun- friendly than the rest of KY. Could it be that the folks live too close to the Buckeye State,with their hoplophobe Governor?

TrueBrit.

Post imported post

I hadn't seen that story. Got a link?

Post imported post

Go to PDO..Gun Talk...August 3 2006....Encounters with LEOs...Stopped by the police...Kentucky.

The poster, hotrodboats, was most helpful to me when I began packing, and gave me much sage advice about KY gun laws.

I also saw on the local news tonight that the Nicholasville cops, near Lexington,have some kind of circus going on, dishing out free gun locks, for the sake of the children, etc.

We need to stay vigilant, and not even allow our legislators to go near the slippery slope that both of our mother countries have descended , with such abysmal results.

TrueBrit.

Post imported post

I do hope this situation gets straightened out. LEO's should know the laws they are supposed to be enforcing.:X

ProguninTN

Post imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
    Go to PDO..Gun Talk...August 3 2006....Encounters with LEOs...Stopped by the police...Kentucky.

The poster, hotrodboats, was most helpful to me when I began packing, and gave me much sage advice about KY gun laws.

I also saw on the local news tonight that the Nicholasville cops, near Lexington,have some kind of circus going on, dishing out free gun locks, for the sake of the children, etc.

We need to stay vigilant, and not even allow our legislators to go near the slippery slope that both of our mother countries have descended , with such abysmal results.

TrueBrit.
    TrueBrit, saw your post on PDO so I added some thoughts(I am lordpoee on PDO). Oh BTW for anyone interested here is that link http://www.packing.org/community/leo.../?thread=16350

Want to OC advice pls

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutZer0 View Post
    TrueBrit wrote:
    TrueBrit, saw your post on PDO so I added some thoughts(I am lordpoee on PDO). Oh BTW for anyone interested here is that link http://www.packing.org/community/leo.../?thread=16350
    All,

I’m very new here “yesterday” I have applied for my CC but would like to OC as well. I am looking for advice, or a place to read up on OC. I just have this feeling that strapping a pistol on me and walking around is going to draw LEO to me like stink on crap. What can I expect? How do you deal with being approached? Law on OC? Special holster?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    All,

I’m very new here “yesterday” I have applied for my CC but would like to OC as well. I am looking for advice, or a place to read up on OC. I just have this feeling that strapping a pistol on me and walking around is going to draw LEO to me like stink on crap. What can I expect? How do you deal with being approached? Law on OC? Special holster?

Rick
    You will learn quite fast that your pistol will get noticed rarely. If people do notice notice your firearm it does not usually bother them. Out of 1000 people that you encounter with your firearm, only two or three (usually in the same group) will have anything to say. That is just a made up number, but you get the picture.

Cops won't be where you will be most of the time, that is why you carry a gun. Without people calling you to their attention then they'll usually leave you unmolested in your day to day activities. Know your rights when dealing with Law Enforcement. Don't give them anything you are not required or willing to give. Keep a recorder on you at all times, don't forget that. You'll be like me, "I never need a recorder." Then it'll happen, you'll need one for your protection and be without. Luckily for me, I had a friend with me who did have a recorder.

You'll be asked to leave some establishments, don't take it personal. The people who ask you to leave do not use critical thinking, they are clueless. I do feel sorry for people who cannot/will not use logic in their day to day.

Next, I would suggest a retention holster. This isn't required but it is like the recorder, just to protect you. None of us will probably ever be the victim of a gun grab, but it would only take once. I used to carry a $500 M&P in a $15 holster, don't do that. Holsters can be expensive, but a good holster will last you years.

Lastly, this was a dead thread.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

It was nice to see a post from Truebrit. He passed into the glory of God several years ago, but not before raising a stir over Kentucky concealed carry laws that excluded him because he was not a citizen. He was a good man believing in open carry. As Gutshot said, read and learn, ask questions, and trust only yourself to determine if you are right...
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    It was nice to see a post from Truebrit. He passed into the glory of God several years ago, but not before raising a stir over Kentucky concealed carry laws that excluded him because he was not a citizen. He was a good man believing in open carry. As Gutshot said, read and learn, ask questions, and trust only yourself to determine if you are right...
    This isn't the first time that I have seen a post from Truebrit, but I didn't know that he had passed. If he passed several years ago then the post I have seen from him are after his passing (I have only been here a year.) I don't recall if it was a SB or a HB that was introduced in the KY 2013 legislative session, but it was to repeal the residency requirements for a CCDW license. He would have liked to known that. But I am a little confused. He was listed as Richmond, KY. Was he not a KY resident?
    Last edited by self preservation; 03-02-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    This isn't the first time that I have seen a post from Truebrit, but I didn't know that he had passed. If he passed several years ago then the post I have seen from him are after his passing (I have only been here a year.) I don't recall if it was a SB or a HB that was introduced in the KY 2013 legislative session, but it was to repeal the residency requirements for a CCDW license. He would have liked to known that. But I am a little confused. He was listed as Richmond, KY. Was he not a KY resident?
    U
    Yes, he lived in Kentucky, as a permanent resident, but was not a citizen of the United States.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    U
    Yes, he lived in Kentucky, as a permanent resident, but was not a citizen of the United States.
    Gotcha.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

n.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Truebrit's last post on this forum was 1/11/2008.
    That's what I'm saying. I remember seeing that handle when I first came here, but he had already passed by the time I got here.

n.