• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry for Non US Citizens in Arizona

Hot Tuna

imported post

Let me first say I am a Canadian citizen. I am a resident of the AZ, here on a 3 years work permit for a US company. I am not a permanent resident alien since my visa has a limited duration. I have a Arizona drivers license and hunting license. I was wondering if there is any restrictions to owning and possessing firearms, in particular hand guns.

I have already found out that I cannot buy a gun from a licensed dealer since I am not a permanent alien, and don't make it through the requiredbackground check. I was told I can own a weapon though. It is hard to find specific info on my circumstances. My questions are.

1. Can I open carry a handgun.

2. Can I purchase firearms privately?

3. Where can I find information to verify and answers provided.

Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

No, if you are legal and have a hunting license, you can own and carry guns under federal law even if you do not have a green card (perm res status). Gun dealers will need your alien registration or I-94 number, and proof of residence in that state for 3 months.

Also, it appears that Arizone law may allow you to obtain a concealed handgun permit.

See http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.htmland start your further research to verify that you can buy and carry guns in Arizona.

apjonas

imported post

Unfortunately only U.S. citizens and Permanent Resident Aliens are eligible. And since he is a resident of Arizona, reciprocity/recognition are not available. Open carry is the only option.

Mike wrote:
No, if you are legal and have a hunting license, you can own and carry guns under federal law even if you do not have a green card (perm res status). Gun dealers will need your alien registration or I-94 number, and proof of residence in that state for 3 months.

Also, it appears that Arizone law may allow you to obtain a concealed handgun permit.

See http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.htmland start your further research to verify that you can buy and carry guns in Arizona.

apjonas

imported post

Let me amend that. It could be under DPS rules, he is not considered a resident. Worth checking out. Of the available options, Florida is probably the easiest or a quick trip to Utah would work.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

Hello Hot Tuna. I'm a relatively new arrival to Arizona too. I moved here from Texas. I highly recommend Alan Korwan's book "The Arizona Gun Owners Guide." It will answer almost all your questions about carrying in Arizona. It's available here:

http://www.gunlaws.com/agog.htm

Alan lives in Phoenix and is considered by many to be the resident expert on the subject. He also will email you any new updates to the Arizona gun laws.

Welcome to the Open Carry Forum, Hot Tuna. This is a great place!

Arizona-Texan

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

apjonas wrote:
Let me amend that. It could be under DPS rules, he is not considered a resident. Worth checking out. Of the available options, Florida is probably the easiest or a quick trip to Utah would work.
Right - hey hot tuna - check with AZ DMP and see how they define a "resident of AZ." If they exclude legal aliens who live in AZ like yourself, then you might be able to conceal carry on another state's permit inside AZ (again, you gotaa check AZ laws). But let us know - it's not right to deny you a concealed license - heck, you might live and work in AZ for many years!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Tuna - again, let us know what DPS says - if they are on shaky ground, then maybe some of us on this board can help you push the issue, maybe even sue.

Hot Tuna

imported post

Thanks everyone for your responses. I did a lot of reading with the leads provided.

This is what DPS rules say.

Requirements:

1. Must be a United States citizen or permanent resident alien.

Note: Persons who were born outside of the United States or one of its territories must send a copy of (or present in person) proof of citizenship or alien status. This is a one-time requirement. Any of the following documents are acceptable:

• Certificate of Naturalization

• Resident Alien Card

• Record of Birth Abroad

• Record of Birth to Armed Forces Personnel

• US Passport
My visa (I-94)is an H1B which clearly states that it is a non-immigrant visa, which in every thing so far has procluded me from resident alien opportunities. The next step in my immigration process is to apply for a green card but that is a few years off under the direction of my immigration attourney which has advised me to apply for 1 more H1B before starting the process.

Anyway at least I feel comfortable purchasing and owning firearms and open carrying a pistol. That "hunting license" exemption is wonderful.

ArizonaTexan, thanks for the lead on the book, will be getting a copy for sure.

What I am now wondering is based on the Federal laws I read why I can purchase at a federal firearms dealer. It seems to me that as long as I have a hunting license in combination with lawful entry status into the US, I should be able to purchase. Otherwise second hand seems my only option.

Thanks all for the warm welcome to the forums !!!

apjonas

imported post

Hot Tuna wrote:
What I am now wondering is based on the Federal laws I read why I can purchase at a federal firearms dealer. It seems to me that as long as I have a hunting license in combination with lawful entry status into the US, I should be able to purchase. Otherwise second hand seems my only option.

Thanks all for the warm welcome to the forums !!!
You can purchase at an FFL (if state law allows). I think that was what Super Moderator Mike said.The hunting license provides an exception to the general prohibition.