• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Durham

acritical

imported post

Hi all, I have had my first real encounter as far as someone speaking to me about my open carry practice in Durham where I was not automatically assumed to be LEO.

I was at AW's BBQ Pit on Saturday evening, me and my girlfriend stopped there to get dinner. I was open carrying my Springfield XD 40, wearing blue jeans and a plain grey tshirt. I went up to the counter to get a refill when a patron that was there before we showed up was waiting for a carry out order that he placed after he and his two kids (maybe 8 and 10) ate dinner.

While up there, he remarked that his kids were fascinated by my pistol, stating "Dad, that man has a gun." He calmly told them, "Yeah, we are in North Carolina, he can do that if he wants. We are no longer in New York."

Was not sure at first whether he was saying that as a good thing or a bad thing, then he went on to say"It is good to be in a free state again where people can carry guns and not be harrassed. I hope my kids start to understand that not everyone that carries a gun is a bad person and how to tell the difference."

He commended me for exercising my right to carry and left. I think it was a pretty good experience.

possumboy

imported post

Going to be in that area soon. Visiting family in Cary. I may open carry, may not. I'm very comfortable in Virginia, I know the laws, and know what needs to be said/done. I have little XP in North Carolina.

I OC'ed before I got my CC license in Virginia for quite a while. I only got my CC for state parks and to add to the number of people that exercise their rights that are countable. When people look at those numbers, I'm listed.

Now I mainly OC, there a few exceptions (and those are to keep my wife happy), but not many.

Iwill probablywimp out when I go in stores and CC.

acritical

imported post

If you are comfortable carrying open, then feel free. However, if you are in Cary, I am not certain, maybe the moderator can verify, but I do believe that open carry is not looked upon in good favor. I was informed that Chapel Hill has a 6" minimum, but I would make sure to check with the local police force before you do so.