• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Philly w/ a Florida CCW

Bolt06

imported post

I am glad that you are still able to carry in PA while living in communist Jersey..I open carry all the time in PA, but not in philly. lprgcFrankwas right about not a good idea to OC in philly. I find it wise to CC in the tighter sections of philly due to people attempting to steal it(depending on the holster). but i do also know PA recognizes the permits of all 50 states for open/concealed carry in vehicles.

hope this helps.. I enjoy talking about OC ing in PA I kindof feel alone in here with all these virginians.. No offense meant VA.:D

Jersey Ron

imported post

Bolt06, there are a lot of Virginians here becasue Virginia is the place to be when it comes to OC'ing! :)I remember when I was a young lad going to school in Virginia. A neighbor of mine use to OC the biggest revolver I had ever seen in my life. Hell, I still haven't seen one that big to this day and it's 19 years later. But anyway, I used to be terrified of this guy. I mean knees buckling, petrified!! :(Young and dumb was I, becasue it was this guy who scared away some hooligans trying to break into my car and steal my radio! It was because of this guy my apartment complex was safer than the norm. You know the old cliche:If I knew what I know now back then.......

Long live OC'ers!!

Jersey Ron

Bolt06

imported post

Oh I never would bad mouth anyone OC'ing.. while I have never had to pull it yet, some situations that could have escalated didn't because of the presence of my friend that I take everywhere I can. I am actually attempting to get a license in new jersey (which is next to impossible) but I am a federal employee and hope that puts me into the lucky catagory.

whenever possible please do carry in PA you help keep the safe place it should be.

Bolt06

imported post

what kind of holster do you OC with. I have been using a tactical thigh holster but only because I haven't found a hip holster that I like yet. I do have a nice CC holster though ..

Jersey Ron

imported post

Bolt06, I'm sorry I didn't know you were asking me about my holster. I have 2 pistols; XD-45 and a Taurus PT145. I use both holsters that came with the guns. Their like a plastic molded type holster. Nothing special, actually pretty cheap I think.

Jersey Ron

critter

imported post

Perhaps we're all missing an important point here. It is regularly stated that "there's no law addressing open carry" in PA, but there is: the PA Constitution. It states " The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned." Period.

The UFA simply enumerates certain priviliges that are added by the possession of a LTCF. So, really, open carry is addressed in the law--the highest law of PA--and it's a positive expression.

Jersey Ron

imported post

I hear you critter but the ambiguity of the situation is really frustrating. I spoke to an assistant DA just 2 days ago. I believe his name was Mr. Glazer, but don't quote me and he is completely unaware of the fact that the Pennsylvania Supreme court clearly states, and I quote in part "(only in Philadelphia must a person obtain a license for carrying ad firearm whether it is unconcealed or concealed..........)

I think it's the lack of knowledge by the State and City officials that is the biggest point. Just my opinion.

Jersey

critter

imported post

There was an incident in a township nearby my place where a gentleman was accosted by an officer for carrying concealed, even though he had a LTCF. The carryer was arrested but the judge *reprimanded* the officer. In this case there was a bit of inconvenience to the victim (i.e. lawfully carrying citizen) but you simply will not get hassled in that township any more.

Now, the poor fellow was vindicated but did not pursue the incident further, which he could have done. A wrongful arrest suit *and* civil rights suit both could have been filed and most likely won.

If the authorities that decide to enforce their own personal preferences are not only being reprimanded but also held responsible for their departments' financial woes you'll see police harrassment disappear quickly.

Jersey Ron

imported post

I agree with you whole heartedly!!! Do you have any ideas of how we can be proactive instead of reactive? I can't imagine the trauma of actually being arrested, although vindicated later. I would have sued the pants of the officer, the police department and even my 2nd grade teacher who flunked me in science. But how can we law abiding citizens get "results" before getting harassed, locked up and sometimes even beaten by LEO's?? This is very frustrating.

Jersey

critter

imported post

Well that's my whole point. I'm not sure that we can get results beforehand.

One thing that's been on my mind is starting up a PA CDL like VA has. I've registered the domain USCDL.ORG (for US Citizen's Defence League) and would like to have that pointing to all the states' defence leagues as they are formed. Ideally the site would be organized like "pa.uscdl.org", "va.uscdl.org" etc.

Forming a non-profit isn't exactly difficult. All we'd need is members. Then print up little brochures outlining citizens' rights in PA and go out and excercise those rights--perferably en masse :) I'll have to get in touch with some of the folks over at the VCDL and see what recommendations they may have to help that sort of endeavor.

I mean, c'mon, we have virtually the same freedoms that VA, WV, KY, VT have. We just aren't vocal enough about it. I regularly carry open all over the place in hopes that people ask me "you can carry a gun?" or "are you a cop?". It is a terrific opportunity to educate people. Would be great to have a business card, brochure and website to give them/direct them to.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Here's what the Pennsylvania Supreme Court had to say on the subject:

Commonwealth v. Hawkins, 692 A.2d 1068, n.4 (“In all parts of Pennsylvania, persons who are licensed may carry concealed firearms. 18 Pa.C.S. § 6108. Except in Philadelphia, firearms may be carried openly without a license. See Ortiz v. Commonwealth, 545 Pa. 279, 283, 681 A.2d 152, 155 (1996) (only in Philadelphia must a person obtain a license for carrying a firearm whether it is unconcealed or concealed; in other parts of the Commonwealth, unconcealed firearms do not require a license)”).

Ortiz v. Commonwealth, 545 Pa. 279; 681 A.2d 152 (1996) (agreeing with appellant’s citation of the fact that "...in Philadelphia County, the legislature requires that a person must be licensed to carry weapons openly and not concealed from sight, whereas in all other counties of Pennsylvania, weapons may be carried openly without a license [, but holding that appellant’s argument that this fact then exempts Philadelphia from state preemption statute] is plainly without merit” [emphasis added]”).

docwatson

imported post

Read the section *above* it!
§ 6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia. No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:
  1. such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
  2. such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

I applied for a PA LTCF today (rather easy). I also applied for a NH HP (even easier). My NH HP came to me in five working days (although I have to send it back because my "Race" information was incorrect). The way I figure, until a US CCP is available, you can never have enough carry permits.

I have seen Philly and it reminds me of a smaller Chicago. You need to be able to carry "something" to protect yourself. I would not OC in Philly (even if I could do it legally). At least you can carry in Philly (much harder to legally do in Chicago).

Sir docwatson is getting the troops ready to go to DC to apply for their handgun permit. I am so looking forward to showing up (it is still going to happen, right?)

2nd Amendment.........Use it.............Or, lose it!!!:X

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
I applied for a PA LTCF today (rather easy).
I hope you refused to disclose your SSN. The form is still not fixed, but no Sheriff may deny your application emerely b/c you refuse to disclose your SSN, if any.

As in any such SSN elicitation, you should write "Not Disclosed, If Any" in that block if you do not disclose - oprevents a bureaucrat from filling in a number, correct or not, into that block.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Mike wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
I applied for a PA LTCF today (rather easy).
I hope you refused to disclose your SSN. The form is still not fixed, but no Sheriff may deny your application emerely b/c you refuse to disclose your SSN, if any.

As in any such SSN elicitation, you should write "Not Disclosed, If Any" in that block if you do not disclose - oprevents a bureaucrat from filling in a number, correct or not, into that block.

Mike,

I actually put my SSN in the space. I am not familiar with why I should or should not put my SSN in the box. When I was filling it out,I believed that if I didn't put it in, the possibility of me getting denied would be great (so, I put it in). I just didn't know any better. I hope I don't have any problems being approved (will I?)

2nd Amendment..........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X