• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing in Tysons Corner

Vincent

imported post

OC'd today at Tiffany&Co. in Tysons Corner. Yes, I do have aset of rather large ones! Wife had to have a bracelet resized. We were there about a half an hour. Whoever was manning the video cameras had to notice. Got a couple looks from the guard but otherwise an uneventful experience.

VAopencarry

imported post

wow!! I think jewelry stores are more jittery about robbery than banks. good job!!

Did you hesitate at all when deciding if you should OC there? just curious...

Vincent

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
wow!! I think jewelry stores are more jittery about robbery than banks. good job!!

Did you hesitate at all when deciding if you should OC there? just curious...
Definately hesitated. Then I thought about going swimming. Just jumped right in!

TEX1N

imported post

Sounds like you had a great experience there! Please let us know of any other experiences in Tyson's Corner that you have. I make it up there from time to time and kind of have the impression that because it ismore ofa ritzy area you may get more looks (and maybe more problems) while OCing there.

GlockEm

imported post

Vincent wrote:
OC'd today at Tiffany&Co. in Tysons Corner. Yes, I do have aset of rather large ones! Wife had to have a bracelet resized. We were there about a half an hour. Whoever was manning the video cameras had to notice. Got a couple looks from the guard but otherwise an uneventful experience.

Wow! I was there a couple of weeks ago (with the wife, of course), and didn't even consider OC. I CC'd, but I just assumed that the security guard that stands in the front wouldn't have let me enter had I OC'd. Nice Job!

On the other hand, we went down the street to Jared's Jewelry and they had a sign posted that firearms were not only not allowed in the store, but not even in the parking lot or on the premises. My wife and I read the sign, turned around and got back in our car. Of course, I was already violating their edict because I was armed in the parking lot. Ridiculous!

Anyway,nicely done, Vincent!

XD Owner

imported post

AMC Movie Theater Manager Prefers CC vs. OC

Sunday, 9/3/06, 3:16 PM - Purchase ticket while OC'ing.

Make a pitstop before the movie. Put on my fleece jacket so I will not freeze during the movie. (Now in CC mode.)

Proceed towards the theater.

Stopped by a manager and assistant who ask to see my ticket. Manager asks if I am am carrying a firearm. I say yes I am. He says he cannot allow it for the safety of other patrons and asks if I would like to put it in my car. I say that I carry it for my safety in case some psycho in the theater appears and I decline to put it in my car. He again says he cannot allow it. I show my CHP and say look, I have a permit for this. He again states "I cannot allow it." I ask him, where is it posted, no firearms? He robotically repeats he cannot allow it and it is policy. I say your policy or corporate policy? Because if it is not posted, then he is making a personal decision. We proceed to the information desk and I ask for a refund, and his business card because I am going to complain to AMC Headquarters.

It is now 3:22 PM. He says he will get one for me. I wait a few minutes. A security guard appears, but does not approach me. The guard appeared to be watching the food court and was very nonchalant and relaxed, probably since I was nonchalant and relaxed waiting for the manager. The manager reappears a few minutes later and said he had called a regional manager (or something like that) to find out what was the policy for theaters in Virginia since AMC operates in many different states. He said that I could carry my firearm in general, but he could not verify my CHP since he was not familiar with that document, so he still would not allow me to see the movie. I point to the security guard and say, could he verify my CHP for me? He agrees and I show my CHP and drivers license to the security guard, an older burly gentleman who professionally looks at the CHP, and verifies to the manager that it is indeed valid. He also agrees with me that a permit is not needed for open carry. The manager then graciously lets me buy a new ticket at 3:29 PM, and I am able to see my movie.

Before I go to my movie, I shook hands with the manager and told him that I saw this to be a positive educational experience.

I was a bit steamed up to that point, but was still able to work it out so I could see and enjoy my movie.

I know some people will say I should have boycotted the place, but "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" is a really good summer movie, and I think the manager has a better understanding of Virginia's firearms laws.

In fact, I am going to write a thank you letter to AMC saying the manager had some concerns initially, but I believe he took the right course of action calling someone higher up and then letting the security guard verify my CHP. I should also thank Tyson's Corner mall, but I did not get the security guard's name. Note: no police were called.

Not my best, but not my worst OC experience either.

Keep on packing!

VAopencarry

imported post

I think you are giving the Manager too much credit. The guy was only covering his ass. He showed NO desire to work it out with you until you said or implied you were going to complain. After he was told by his boss it was OK, he still tried to deny you entry with his, ' I am not familiar with the document' crap.

I'm glad you got to see the movie but the manager is an asshat.

XD Owner

imported post

Somewhere I read around here, "Gun on, pride off."

Now that my gun is locked away, I agree with you.

I left out the part where I asked him, have you ever heard of a criminal walking into a business with a gun in a visible holster? Usually they are pointing the gun at someone and yelling for the money.

I think he would be a good poker player since I assume he was unarmed and kept the same expressionless look :what: on his face the entire time. (If he was armed, I would assume he would know Virginia's gun laws at least as much as I do and would have left me alone.)

Folks at Lord and Taylor's did not seem to mind. In fact, they all smiled at me, which I assume is part of their customer service training.

Maybe I need to wear a suit and tie along with my XD. A nice open collar shirt and jeans don't seem to cut it for some people. :dude:

XD Owner

imported post

OC'd at Tysons Corner Center. Had a nice conversation with a store owner while waiting for my credit application to go through. She said sometimes she has FBI Agent customers and wondered if I carried my "piece" for job-related reasons. I said, no, actually I carry because while someone can have my watch, they can't have my life. She said she had heard of crimes taking place at at the mall, so supported my decision to carry. Turns out her son was into target shooting big time.

Tip for anyone with school-age kids in NOVA. She said when her son was in Cub Scouts and shooting BB guns, and he moved up to air rifles and eventually .22 rifle, a man said her son should join the NRA and shoot competitively and he could get all kinds of scholarships because so few kids in Northern Virginia are into shooting. She took his advice and I guess her sondid pretty well.

Wish I had know that 30 years ago!

No problems in Macy*s, Foot Locker, etc. Guess the khakis and nice sweater with the blue blazer slung over my shoulder made me look like Federal agent dude, although the slightly grubby Nikes wouldhave indicated otherwise. :dude:

Keep on packing!

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

went to Tysons tonight (unarmed.. right from work.. Bahhhhh Bahhhhh).. and read on the Tysons code of conduct sign in about the same size font that you are reading this.. No weapons.. to include knives, firearms, etcbetc etc blah blah bahhh bahhhh.

tsannicolas

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
Sounds like you had a great experience there! Please let us know of any other experiences in Tyson's Corner that you have. I make it up there from time to time and kind of have the impression that because it ismore ofa ritzy area you may get more looks (and maybe more problems) while OCing there.
I simply HATED working at Tyson's corner. the store i was working at had the worst shrink problem i've ever seen. so many people steal or get robbed at that mall. It's not ritzy by any means. nice stores != good area

tsannicolas

imported post

ed wrote:
went to Tysons tonight (unarmed.. right from work.. Bahhhhh Bahhhhh).. and read on the Tysons code of conduct sign in about the same size font that you are reading this.. No weapons.. to include knives, firearms, etcbetc etc blah blah bahhh bahhhh.
HA! that's BS, i carry in that place all the time and have talked to numerous security guards about my edc blade

nova

imported post

ed wrote:
Oops I must have missed that the last time I was there... :lol::lol: