• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Alexandria, VA

XD Owner

imported post

FYI, the 8th congressional District (Arlington, Alexandria, part of Fairfax and Reston) is the home of Jim Moran (D-VA). He is a semi-notorious gunbanner.

Anyway, decided to start open carrying this summer since it is so hot, and open carry means one less thing to do if I have to draw. Also that shooting at the Jewish Center in Seattle got me motivated to open or conceal carry wherever and whenever I was legally outside my home.

My equipment:

One pair of shorts or jeans;

one brown leather belt by Fossil,

one Fobus SP-11 Holster, right-hand side,

One Springfield XD, 3" Sub-Compact, 9mm, bitone (Condition 3),

shirt, shoes, baseball cap, Maui Jim sunglasses.

So, here is where I have been OC'ing the last few days.

I accompanied my wifeto her orthodontist. No comments by staff or other patients.

Wal-Mart in the Hybla Valley area. Get a snack at the McDonald's inside Wal-Mart. Cashier kind of raised one eyebrow. In the auto accessories area, one man wearing a blaze orange long-sleev shirtasked if I had a permit. Told him I didn't need one. He said that (meaning open carry) is illegal in Texas. I replied, "Thank god, I'm in Virginia. His friend laughed. I left that area and checked out the knives and shotgun ammo. I hear some whisperings by a female employee to her male colleague (gun, corporate policy). She leaves. Guy at counter shows me a tactical knife at my requestand tells me he has no problems with customers open carrying, but that his colleague has gone to get a manager. Then he tells me while I keep trying to figure out how to rapidly open the knife that a manager is nearby, looking me over, and then leaving. Proceed to checkout to meet my wife and go back to my my vehicle. In the parking lot, a young man with Down's Syndrome greets me. I say hello to him. He says kind of loudly, "Hey, he has a gun."

Accompany my wife to a doctor's office. Sign in vehicle at front desk so it will not get towed. Go to office (female staff only.) Look over a hunting magazine (wasn't expecting that). Leave with wife. No comments. Staff displayed just the slightest sign of annoyance, though, sinceI would not give themmy SSN (which is totally different from my health insurance ID number.)

Go to Gilbert's Shooting Range (Lorton, VA.) Of course those guys could care less.

Then decide I need some delicious Wisconsin-style cold custard and proceed to the Dairy Godmother in the Del Ray section of Alexandria. This is it, the bluest part of the 11th Congressional District, a District which voted for John Kerry by a 2-1 margin. Where the entire five-member City Council isDemocrat and probably puked in disbelief when I suggested that they stop fingerprinting people who apply for CHPs. The girl at the counter cheerfully asks me what I would like. I go for a medium Summer Dream on a sugar cone.

Young male co-worker at a table (doing some sort of busywork), looks amazed.

I sit down and devour my post-shooting (at the gun range) treat. I go get a drink of water afterwards and as I leave, I see the guy behind the counter now with the biggest eyes I have seen in a long time. None of the other customers, I guess noticed, except for a little boy who asked his mother, "Why does he have a gun?" I missedhearing a response.

Go to a store on Duke Street. Owner says, "Hey, you're packing! Where do you shoot? I go to Shooter's Paradise in Woodbridge." He goes on some more. I worry that a customer is waiting for the owner and politely leave. Go the Giant on Duke Street to buy some produce. No comments.

And the amazing thing was no one got hurt (pat myself of the back.)

Keep on packing!

novaccw

imported post

Hey, XD Owner, I open carry in Alexandria quite often. Here are some of the places that I have carried (more than once) Giant on Duke Street, Costco in Arlington, Costco in Springfield, Rite Aid on Duke, Home Depot, Walmart in Kingstowne, and Mango Mikes on Duke Street. Glad to see another fellow open carrier in this BLUE area!! Welcome!!

GlockEm

imported post

Hey there XD Owner,

You were in my part of town. I live in Del Ray (in fact I was part of the 1 in the 2-1 reference for the John Kerry vote). Glad to hear you were able to open-carry without any incident at the custard shop. Admittedly, I usually CC when I goto theicecream shop, custard shop,and the coffee shop.The reason I CC at those places is that I fear I'll be so annoyed by folks reactions that I won't want to patronize their businesses...and I like being able towalk to these shops! Sort of a "don't ask/don't tell" policy I guess. Glad to hear that you were able to do it with little fanfare. I'll be more tempted to try it myself now, especially since we've had 2 shootings in Del Ray this summer already (one right behind my house). I do OC up and down Mount Vernon Avenue constantly though, when I walk my dog or take a walk with my wife.I get some glances, especiallynear the custard shop where people are frequently hanging outside, but no one has said anything to me yet. I've alsoOC'd at the Giant on Monroe, and the nearby dry cleaner/laundry mat (which is very sketchy).

As for being in the 8th congressional district, it's so painful to be (not) respresented by Moran. I send him emails and letters on every gun issue that comes up, knowing it won't make any difference. He's going to hear from me, regardless.

Anyway, thanks for the post. You've encouraged me to OC more in my own backyard.:?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hey, XDOwner - say hi if you see me. I OC frequently in the Rte1 corridor between Alexandria and Woodbridge. And I shoot at Gilberts (they do care - they have a "No loaded weapons" sign that exempts only LEOs.).

I've OC'd at that WalMart, Target, Staples, Giant, Safeway, several restaurants, etc.

XD Owner

imported post

What I mean was that they don't care if you OC in their shop. My fault, I forgot to mention the no loaded firearm rule. I asked one of the employees about it. He said they put up that sign after a few too many accidental discharges inside the shop. He said people would try fitting their guns in holsters and "blam!"

I saw his point of view when he explained. Great shop!

XD Owner

XD Owner

imported post

Glockem -

I was worried about OC too for similar reasons, but the more I do it, the more comfortable it becomes. We have this right in Virginia, so why not exercise it? If people ask why, say, "It's legal and I like having a tool for self-defense close at hand." or some variation.

I was not really interested in owning a gun until two things happened last year.

1. http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/Police/news/article.asp?ID=295

2. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4956143

1 is a link to a police press release about a friend of mine shooting a burglar in his house in Arlington, VA (which is in a nice neighborhood.)

2isa very short article about Hurricane Katrina. If law and order can break down there, it can break down here.

Now with tensions in the Middle East motivating a lone gunman to drive 200 miles to shoot people in Seattle at a Jewish Center, not to mention your average everydaycrime in our fair city (see http://www.examiner.com/a-202541~Second_suspect_arrested_in_Del_Ray_shooting.htmlfor example), I feel better knowing that I have something more powerful than a cell phone on me.

Keep on packing!

XD Owner

GlockEm

imported post

XD Owner,

All good points and I think about them all the time. Like I said in my previous post, a few weeks ago I heard gun shots sitting my own living room...and this is supposedly I "nice" part of town. And, Ialmost always carry except when I'm at work. I do OC and am OC'ing more and more. I'm still just getting used to doing around my neighborhood because it's so gun unfriendly AND these are people I have to deal with everyday because I live here (for now). What can I say, I'm still not at the comfort level most of the people on this forum are with OC, but I'm getting there. This forum and VCDL meetings definitely help!

Anyway, maybe I'll see youat the Custard shop next time!

GlockEm.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fischer's Hardware and Offenbacher's pool & patio today.

Had pleasant conversations about guns with people in both places. No issues.

Vincent

imported post

8/3, I Oc'd at the Safeway in Kingstown. Great sale on Porterhouse, New York Strip, Ribeye steaks and King crab legs, 50% off through 8/8. Clerks definately noticed but nothing was said. 8/4, OC'd at BJ's on Van Dorn st. Walked rightpast the uniformed Alexandria police officer who is always there. I know he noticed the gun but didn't say a word. They have the best prices on prescription eyeglass lenses I've seen. Then I OC'dat Kohls in Kingstown to take advantage of Virginias' tax free holiday going on this weekend. Picked up some great deals on Chaps shirts and pants. Very tricky trying on clothes in the dressing room. Wife had to take her car in to Bill Page Honda for some insurance work.Some lady hit her from behind while she was sitting at a stop light. Other lady was talking on her cell phone at the time. We were then shuttled to Enterprise rental car fora free rental.Two days later we reversed the process. OC'd the entire time. In the service bay, waiting in thenew car showroom, in the shuttle with several other strange people, while waiting at the Enterprise in Falls Church and at the Chevron gas station to fill up before we returned the car. It was obvious that some of the mechanics noticed. Not sure aboutany of the others. No problems anywhere.I've come to the conclusion that most people must think I'm LEO because I'm relatively neat and well groomed and could probably pass for one.

zoom6zoom

imported post

I've come to the conclusion that most people must think I'm LEO because I'm relatively neat and well groomed and could probably pass for one.
I think that actually happens a lot, considering the high percentage of departments and federal agencies in our area. Especially if you carry a Sig...

VApatriot

imported post

XD Owner wrote:
Then decide I need some delicious Wisconsin-style cold custard

If you are looking for some good Wisconsin-style custard you should try Milwaukee Frozen Custard. There is one just off the Herndon Parkway in Herndon and another out in the Dulles area. They're a little out of the way, but totally worth it.

XD Owner

imported post

8/7/06 - OC'd at Foxchase Shopping Center (lots of construction going on). Went to the Subway shop for lunch. No comments.

Then went to the State Department Federal CreditUnion on King St. Some people visibly noticed, but no one said anything as I strolled in. I filled out a deposit slip at a little counter away from the line of people, then dropped the deposit envelope in the box in the lobby. An employee who was greeting customers as they entered made a face (I will call it the "ughh" look) but she did not say anything. I wished her a pleasant day and strolled out. She was not there when I first went in, so I must have surprised her. I made sure to scan the entrances (building and credit union front doors) for "No Gun Signs." The only signs posted were "No Public Restrooms" and "No Loitering". So I strolled right in.

XD Owner

imported post

OC'd at the IHOP at Potomac Yard Shopping Center and the Target in the morning. This afternoon I went to Landmark Mall. Went into Hecht's and bought a suitcase with my wife. After putting our purchase in the car, entered Hecht's again and walked to Lord and Taylor. Went to the Food Court on the top level and bought a sandwich at Chick Fil-A. Went back to Lord and Taylors, and Hecht's (AKA Macy's). No comments or problems of any sort.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Interesting. Landmark Mall is posted. At least the entrance near Sears, on the back, is. VCDL has that posting on their site.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I did see it last time I was there, but I'd bet that was 18 months or more ago.

If my info is out of date, I apologize.