• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesapeake Squre Mall

D

Desertdoc

imported post

So after shopping with the family for over 2 hours i found out that Chesapeake Mall isNOT gun friendly. Kinda weired that after going into the target, twoJewelry stores, two shoe stores and a children's clothing store i had some unarmed "safety officer" approached me. Told me it is not posted and it does not have to be, but my gun was not allowed in the mall. I politely asked for his name, his supervisors name, and phone #. Told him that i would remove my gun and would be giving his boss a call. As i was walking out to the car i noticed that three police cars had pulled up. After putting my firearm in the car i walked back into the mall only to meet the officers huddled at the front door. One officer joked and say " hey you dropped your gun" (I left my holster on my side). After talking to the officers for a little they said they had never had a problem before at this mall but i should talk to the director of public safety. I answered with a polite " Yes sir i plan on it".

Maybe the officer was jealous that i had my gun and he wasn't allowed to carry one.. :lol:

If anyone would like the info here it is:

Officer that took action:

George Kahookele

Director of public safety:

Al E. Burns

IPC International Corporation

757-488-9639

Jersey Ron

imported post

I thought OC was totally legit in Virginia. Am I to assume that store/mall policy can override state law?? I'm confused!!!:?

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Open carry is "totally legal" in Virginia (even in banks, police stations, public libraries, universities, etc - unlike many open carry states which restrict openly carrying in these and other areas). However, private property owners can post "no guns" signs if they choose to. You can't be arrested simply for carrying a gun in a place where it is posted "no guns" - but, if you are asked to leave, and if you then refuse to leave, you can be charged with tresspassing (a misdemeanor,andalso nota firearms crime). The over-whelming majority of gun owners, being law-abiding citizens who also care about property rights, respect these signs, of course. Some choose to carry in such places anyway, figuring if they are asked to leave they will simply do so, and thus still are not eligible for arrest. I would never carry in a place posted "no guns", but then again, there are very, very few places in Virginia that are posted no guns - mainly some malls and Jarrods Jewelers and a couple of other places. Even in urban areas like Richmond and Fairfax, it is rare to see a no guns sign. Some banks are posted, including Wachovia and BB&T, but most are not (including Virginia Credit Union, etc).

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Also, it is not "overiding state law", in that there is no state law saying open carry is legal, per se. There is simply no law against it. And in Virginia localities (counties, cities, etc) may notpassfirearms laws more restrictive than those passed statewide, so individual localities can not make rules more restrictive in the area of firearms.

D

Desertdoc

imported post

After talking with the director of public safety for Simon malls he has told me that it is an on going rule that no firearms are allowed on any of their properties. Mr. John Grey is the acting director and is a retired FBI agent. He did state that it should be posted at the Chesapeake Square Mall and that the company is going through a transition to have it posted at the entrance of all their properties. Unfortunately he also stated that concealed weapons are also not allowed at their properties but this was so hard to enforce since concealed means just that. It looks like to me that there is a need for them to be added to the NRA’s list of anti gun properties and listed as a safe haven for criminals that do not obey the law unlike the law-abiding citizens of Virginia.

jimwyant

imported post

Has anyone contacted VCDL directly about adding Simon Malls to their Gun Unfreindly list? Most of us here who live in VA are VCDL members, but I'm not sure who actually manages that list. More challenging, but also possible would be an attempt to get NRA to do the same thing. Simon operates a total of 215 malls in every state, and they have chosen to exercise their property rights by banning legal, self defense firearms in their facilities. So be it. We need to make sure as many of our pro-2A brethren as possible exercise our right to avoid their "criminal-safe" zones like the plague.

Another idea: What if we were to get a list of stores in these malls and contact every one of them (form letter or e-mail, salutation changes to personalize for each store - contact corporate offices as well as the local managers for chain stores) and let them know that they are losing our business because of Simon's policies. Simon may ignore us, but if they get enough complaints from their tenants, they just might start to listen. Thoughts?

possumboy

imported post

I OC in a Simon's Mall often (Pentagon City in Arlington, VA). I have never had anyone say anything to me. Just goes to show that it all depends on which employee sees you.

It is mainly just to get to the other side of the mall where the shops I like to use are in Pentagon Row.

D

Desertdoc

imported post

possumboy wrote:
I OC in a Simon's Mall often (Pentagon City in Arlington, VA). I have never had anyone say anything to me. Just goes to show that it all depends on which employee sees you.

It is mainly just to get to the other side of the mall where the shops I like to use are in Pentagon Row.
i too have open carried many times at the same mall in questioned. No problems till now.I just was posting the "official" rule that is being handed down. Also in case anyone was wondering, Simon does own the Tacoma Mall where the shooting took place last year. I wonder how much good thier unarmed "public safety officers" did.

jimwyant

imported post

I know I'm anal about this, but I tend to honor the "official" rules by taking my money elsewhere, even if in reality I could "get away with it" most of the time without a hassle. My $0.02.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jimwyant wrote:
Has anyone contacted VCDL directly about adding Simon Malls to their Gun Unfreindly list? Most of us here who live in VA are VCDL members, but I'm not sure who actually manages that list. More challenging, but also possible would be an attempt to get NRA to do the same thing. Simon operates a total of 215 malls in every state, and they have chosen to exercise their property rights by banning legal, self defense firearms in their facilities. So be it. We need to make sure as many of our pro-2A brethren as possible exercise our right to avoid their "criminal-safe" zones like the plague.

Another idea: What if we were to get a list of stores in these malls and contact every one of them (form letter or e-mail, salutation changes to personalize for each store - contact corporate offices as well as the local managers for chain stores) and let them know that they are losing our business because of Simon's policies. Simon may ignore us, but if they get enough complaints from their tenants, they just might start to listen. Thoughts?

I'm all for it. I can write letters with the best of them.

http://www.simon.com/lists these as Simon malls in VA

Fashion Centre at Pentagon City
Arlington
Virginia

Charlottesville Fashion Square
Charlottesville
Virginia

Chesapeake Square
Chesapeake
Virginia
http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=4200 Portsmouth Boulevard+Chesapeake,+VA+23321,+us

Virginia Center Commons
Glen Allen
Virginia
http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=10101 Brook Road, Suite 765+Glen Allen,+VA+23059,+us

Valley Mall
Harrisonburg
Virginia
http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=1925 E. Market Street+Harrisonburg,+VA+22801,+us

Leesburg Corner Premium Outlets
Leesburg
Virginia
http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=241 Fort Evans Road NE+Leesburg,+VA+20176,+us

Apple Blossom Mall
Winchester
Virginia
http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=1850 Apple Blossom Drive+Winchester,+VA+22601,+us

possumboy

imported post

I try not to shop at places that are not gun friendly. There are certain places, mainly malls, that I CC so I don't get asked to leave. This keeps my wife happy. If my wife isn't happy, there isn't anyone happy in my family.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have carried at Fashion Square in C'ville as has my wife many times; never saw a 'safe shopping for criminals' sign there. However, we both realize that concealed means concealed in any mall or posted place. Most of the time lesser laws and regulations that were broken to prevent a more serious offence by another are not prosecuted.