• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grant County Experience....

norahc

imported post

Well, I had to go to serve on jury duty today. Since I couldn't carry in the Courthouse, I opted to OC so that I could secure my firearm easier. I have a cable secured lock-box in my vehicle that I can secure my weapon in and then hide it under a bunch of junk in the back seat.

On the way to court, I had to stop and fuel in Ephrata. I picked a Shell station on SR 28 and fueled. As I was fueling, I observed about 6 deputy vehicles parked in the parking lot on the side of the building. The deputies were apparently inside enjoying their morning java. None of them even gave me a second look, and that includes the one that drove right by me on his way out of the station.

Stone

imported post

I am in Wenatchee, I used to carry in the open all the time. Here in Wenatchee things are changing and we are getting more folks from California and Seattle ( along with them the problems that they are trying to get away from ) we are also getting a few low lifes around here. It is not the nice town it used to be. I will have to do some calling about open carry around here as I heard the city PD jack some guy up for it.He might have looked like a low life. I would not think if you have your weapon in a holster and you don't look like a low life that anyone in Grant co would mess with you. But we don't see anyone open carry here anymore. (You used too.) Please forgive me for saying this as I understand what this forum is about, but I do not know that it is tactically sound to carry in the open here anymore.

I will make some calls and see what I can learn for you

Stone

I did make some calls.. GCSO told me that is was not restricted in Grant County, but she did go on to tell me to be ready to have the cops called on you. That since folks from other areas have been moving in they get amore gun calls.when these folks see a gun they do call the cops....

I also called Wenatche PD and they told me that is was not restricted in the City of Wenatchee. But I have heard folks call the PD on a guys carrying a guns. If you are going to carry in the open here look the part.

norahc

imported post

I understand and agree with you. I prefer to carry concealed but understand that sometimes it is necessary to OC.

To hijack my own thread, here are my pros and cons of OC vs. CC:

OC - Pros
Comfortable
Easy access
PR - gets the public used to seeing it
Deterrent
-Cons
Weapon retention
"Man with a gun" call

CC - Pros
Tactical advantage
Weapon retention - they can't take it if they don't know it's there
Minimizes the "Man with a gun" call
- Cons
Not as comfortable
Drawing is not as easy

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Norahc, I agree with most of your post, but I'm not aware of any evidence showing that CC has a tactical advantage over OC. Some would say that any tactical advantage of CC is outweighed by the deterent effect and ease of access with OC.

Stone

imported post

As I am new the form please let me know if this is not the rightplace to talk about this.

And please delete my post if it gets off topic...

The main tactical advantage to CC is surprise..

I would have said that you right about OC here 10 years ago. But these kids todaydo not respect the gun.Nor do they fear death, seeing your firearm just gives the BG (Bad Guy) a chance to plan his attack with your firearm in mind.

Cue-Ball

imported post

Stone wrote:
But these kids todaydo not respect the gun.Nor do they fear death, seeing your firearm just gives the BG (Bad Guy) a chance to plan his attack with your firearm in mind.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. The only hoodlum who doesn't fear death is the one that's too high to know any better. Most of the people who cause trouble do it because they need quick, easy money. We're not talking about professional criminals who meticulously plan their jobs. These are predators of opportunity. No criminal in their right mind is going to try to take on a guy that they know is armed when they can go around the corner and pick on an unarmed man instead.

These guys might act fearless and "hard", but you can guarantee that one look down the barrel of a .45 would have them pissing their pants.

tattedupboy

imported post

Technically that is true, but wouldn't that be the case whether the intended victim is OCing or CCing? Furthermore, isn't it quite possible that an armed OCer could be distracted long enough for a BG to snatch his gun and use it against him, retention device or no retention device? Such a scenario is not possible with CC because the BG does not know that the intended victim is armed.

norahc

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Technically that is true, but wouldn't that be the case whether the intended victim is OCing or CCing? Furthermore, isn't it quite possible that an armed OCer could be distracted long enough for a BG to snatch his gun and use it against him, retention device or no retention device? Such a scenario is not possible with CC because the BG does not know that the intended victim is armed.
Possible ... yes, probably possible.

Likely ... not a chance. ANYONE who is carrying a firearm needs to be aware of their surroundings at ALL times. In addition, if someone does try and snatch your firearm while you are OC'ing, there are several weapon retention techniques that you can employ, depending upon your holster and where you carry your firearm.

Also, a weapon snatch attempt means you are now in a life or death situation so don't rule out deadly force. If someone is trying to take your weapon, how much of a stretch is it to think they may actually want to use it on you?

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

many times, on this forum as well as others, i've seen the debate between OC and CC and the pros and cons of each. The bottom line really is about being a responsible carrier. Is there an increased risk of being the first target because you open carry? to a select few, possibly, but generally criminals like easy unarmed targets. In all the time that i've read stories and participated in gun forums, only once have I heard of someone open carrying having their gun taken from them. Only one. This leads me to believe that those who strenuously object to open carry probably don't trust their fellow man any more than the anti-gun groups do.