• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Stolen...while being open carried! [Update 5/2010: story debunked]

VAopencarry

imported post

bohdi, Are you sure FCPD even knew what you were talking about? This incident was 1.5 years ago.

This thread has been dead an equally long time.

let dead threads stay dead!!!!!!!!!!

bohdi

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
So the Fairfax County Police Department Public Information Office put a non-existent crime, complete with requests for crime stopper calls on their own web site? :shock:
After they had posted the initial report, the individual who was robbed was found to actually have the weapon in his possession at his domicile, in a drawer.FCPD were apparently at the guys house for an unrelated search, and filing a false report is the least of the guys' worries at this point, as I was told. No correction has been made in the paper because they are still finishing/going to court on the other matter which carries a heavier penalty. I didn't ask for further details, I found out what I wanted, which was this story was either true or false. It ended up being false.

bohdi

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
bohdi, Are you sure FCPD even knew what you were talking about? This incident was 1.5 years ago.

This thread has been dead an equally long time.

let dead threads stay dead!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, they knew. The person I spoke with wanted to know why I was asking about something that happened so long ago. I told him it came up on the internet and that I never saw any resolution printed in the paper. See my previous response as to why that is.

I didn't bring this up, lol. I agree with you, dead threads ought to stay dead. We can now say it's really dead, as it's actually been "resolved" and is no longer something a person can say "....I remember a while back that some guy OC'ing in Va got mugged and had his gun stolen, so OC isn't safe...." sort of thing.

Dreamer

imported post

OK, I finally heard back fro FFX Co PD on the "gun grab" story from 2006 in Centreville VA, and got the REAL story in writing (well, email).

This story turned out to be a "false report". Here is the official word from Fairfax Co. PD (I've edited all the "personal" info to "sterilize" the report):

[align=left][/align]
Generally speaking we do not release police incident reports, therefore you will not find an archive on our web site. I was able to locate the case you refer to. A supplement written on July 30, 2006 indicates that the original "victim" who reported the crime was charged with filing a false police report. His name is Xxxxx Xxxxxxx Xxx, 23 of XXXX Xxxxxxx Xxxxx Xxx in Centreville (at the time the supplement was written). I do not know the disposition of the court case, you would need to contact the court for that information. Their contact number is 703-246-2221.

Don Xxxxxxxxx
Fairfax County Police Department
Public Information Office
Web Content Manager
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Direct Line: (703) 246-2253
Office Fax: (703) 246-4253
[align=left]

Now, can we PLEASE dismiss this story as an "urban myth" once and for all?
[/align]
At least now we can now say, without a doubt, that there are NO known documentable cases of a citizen who was OCing having their gun stolen in a "gun grab" situation.

VAopencarry

imported post

:banghead::banghead:

If one were to read Bohdi's last 3 post, from over 2 years ago they would see this incident had already been shown to be false.

Dreamer

imported post

Yes, but now I have an official email from the FFX County police public information office to PROVE it.

Copy, print, hand out. Debunk...

The truth will out. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Last edited:

peterarthur

OK, I finally heard back fro FFX Co PD on the "gun grab" story from 2006 in Centreville VA, and got the REAL story in writing (well, email).

This story turned out to be a "false report". Here is the official word from Fairfax Co. PD (I've edited all the "personal" info to "sterilize" the report):

Generally speaking we do not release police incident reports, therefore you will not find an archive on our web site. I was able to locate the case you refer to. A supplement written on July 30, 2006 indicates that the original "victim" who reported the crime was charged with filing a false police report. His name is Xxxxx Xxxxxxx Xxx, 23 of XXXX Xxxxxxx Xxxxx Xxx in Centreville (at the time the supplement was written). I do not know the disposition of the court case, you would need to contact the court for that information. Their contact number is 703-246-2221.

Don Xxxxxxxxx
Fairfax County Police Department
Public Information Office
Web Content Manager
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Direct Line: (703) 246-2253
Office Fax: (703) 246-4253

Now, can we PLEASE dismiss this story as an "urban myth" once and for all?

At least now we can now say, without a doubt, that there are NO known documentable cases of a citizen who was OCing having their gun stolen in a "gun grab" situation.

I have contacted the PIO office and have been directed to speak with Don Xxxxxxx. I have left him a voicemail and I am looking to validate the story, also. The person I did speak with was familiar with the case but referred me to the PIO anyway. I got the sense that it was, in fact, a false police report, but she would not specifically verify this and asked me to talk to PIO. This is the ONLY such case I have found anywhere on the net and we are discussing it in another part of this forum http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?96769-OCer-gun-taken-at-gunpoint-in-KC in relation to a statement made to me by someone I work with that he "heard" that an OCer in Kansas City, Missouri had been disarmed. I immediately suspected that this was not true and the local news agencies that I have talked to have not heard of any such story. So it appears that the disarming of an OCer has never been documented, if it has ever happened at all. I will update as soon as I have more info.

I write this as I sit in Panera on 103rd in Kansas City, Missouri with my Glock on my hip, 100 yards from the Kansas State Line where I would get arrested... I think they are getting used to me :)

Last edited: