• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting permit holders

txskydiver

imported post

Has anyone visited a recipricating state with differing laws? For example, I am from Texas and going ot visit Utah. Utah aallows Open Carry, and Texas does not. We are concealed only. Can I open carry in Utah or must I follow Texas laws.

I know that this should be a fairly obvious answer, but I wouldn't want to make a wrong choice based solely on my assumptions.

tattedupboy

imported post

Anytime you visit another state in which you do not reside, the laws of your home state do not follow you there. You must follow the laws of the state you are visiting, and that includes laws pertaining to open and concealed carry. Being a Texas resident does not preclude you from carrying openly in Utah, because Utah enforces Utah laws, not Texas's laws. Hope this helps.

txskydiver

imported post

That does help and kind of what I was thinking. I just wanted to verify with someone who has done this. OC would normally be illegal for me. It would be extremely pleasant to be able to OC while there. Thank you.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You can OC in any of the states that don't restrict it. I've heard of plenty of people who OC here in VA when they visit. The only firearm laws that follow you around are the Federal laws (i.e., a TX resident can't buy a pistol in Utah, etc.)

TrueBrit

imported post

We may have touched on this topic before, and it seems that "When in Rome"etc applies. For example, I can, here in KY, with a CDWL, carry switchblades, brass knuckles, batons, asps,slapjacks black jacks, in addition to as many guns as I can pack!

However, in TN,or VA,I am limited to just boring old guns!

WIMPS!:D

TrueBrit.

cs9c1

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
We may have touched on this topic before, and it seems that "When in Rome"etc applies. For example, I can, here in KY, with a CDWL, carry switchblades, brass knuckles, batons, asps,slapjacks black jacks, in addition to as many guns as I can pack!

TrueBrit.
This never made sence to me. I can carry a gun but not nunchucks or a switch blade (which I do carry in uniforme). The Bluegrass State must be nice:shock:. Use to live there when I was in the 101st, but most of the post was in TN:?.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

Txskydiver - I'm from Texas and moved to Arizona. AZ is an open carry state and I open carry here without any difficulty whatsoever. We also CC until our Texas permits expired. This weekend we are getting our Arizona CCW.

BTW - you need to visit us over on the Texas State forum. We're starting an initiative to lobby for open carry in Texas and we need everyone's help.

Welcome to the open carry forum. It's a great community!

Arizona-Texan

ProguninTN

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
TrueBrit wrote:

TrueBrit.
This never made sence to me. I can carry a gun but not nunchucks or a switch blade (which I do carry in uniforme). The Bluegrass State must be nice:shock:. Use to live there when I was in the 101st, but most of the post was in TN:?.

Ah, Ft. Campbell. Not far away. No extra goodies allowed here in TN. One must have additional documents for those. I hope to add baton/spray certification to my resume.

ProguninTN

txskydiver

imported post

I would love to see TX go to OC. Sign me up for any petition. How ironic that everyone in other states thinks of Texans as crazy gun-toting right winged wacko Christian rednecks, but we have to hide our firearms. Maybe that's why I suppose.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Actually, it makes perfect sense to me that you crazy, gun-toting, right wing whacko Christian redneck Texans SHOULD have to hide your guns. Now, if y'all learned to act like good Virginia gentlemen, the authorities might take a different view........;)

txskydiver

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Actually, it makes perfect sense to me that you crazy, gun-toting, right wing whacko Christian redneck Texans SHOULD have to hide your guns. Now, if y'all learned to act like good Virginia gentlemen, the authorities might take a different view........;)
Good point. Maybe I should withdraw my name from any petition. :lol:

TrueBrit

imported post

Skydiver,

Go ahead and sign the thing, and never mind the Uncle!:D

If the Old Dominion gentlemen had some gumption, they would press for their CHPs to be changed back to CDWLs. They could then carry all of the good stuff that we bloodthirsty Kentucky hardboots and hilljacks pack around!

Ninja throwing stars are way cool!;)

TrueBrit.

ProguninTN

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Skydiver,

If the Old Dominion gentlemen had some gumption, they would press for their CHPs to be changed back to CDWLs. They could then carry all of the good stuff that we bloodthirsty Kentucky hardboots and hilljacks pack around!

TrueBrit.

Ah, yes. The neighborhood friendly limey. :DI'm sure glad you're on our (the pro 2A) side.

ProguninTN

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Skydiver,

TrueBrit.
We haven't forgotten about these details. All in good time, sir, all in good time......

For the time being, my brass knucks will be only be used as paper weights.