• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My open carry experience

CajunBass

imported post

I don't know if I've ever posted on this forum or not, but with the recent heat wave here in Central Virginia, I faced a choice of wearing a cover garment or carrying openly. I chose to open carry. (I do have a CHP.)

I do a courier job on weekends, which requires me to make several stop usually very late at night or early in the morning. I've open carried quiet a bit when doing that, simply because it easier. I usually will throw on an unbottoned shirt or something when I go into a buciness, say a 7-11 to get a cup of coffee, just because I figured it would be easier on the poor clerks nerves at 2am or such.

Well, last weekend, it was hot, and I was doing the job while it was still light, so I said to heck with it, and went on into the store. I was carrying a Smith and Wesson 39-2 in an Uncle Mikes belt slide holster. I don't know what I expected, really I guess nothing, and that's just what I got. Nothing. I don't know for sure that anyone even noticed I had the gun, but the 39's not a little gun by any means.

The next day I stopped to pick up some pizza's on the way home, and the same thing, except this time I know I was noticed. One of the delivery drivers spotted my gun, and said "OH WOW! Is that legal to carry a gun like that?" I assured him it was, and he and I as well as another customer who happened to be there talked guns for several minutes, until my order was ready.

Then today on the way to work, I had to stop by a Food Lion grocery store. I was carrying a Makarov in a Fobus holster today, and again, I don't know that anyone at all noticed. If they did they didn't say anything.

No screams, no mad dashes for the door, no on called the police, no one shouted "OH MY GOD! HE'S GOT A GUN!"

Actually I think most people simply don't give a hoot. They have enough sense to realize that bad guys don't walk into a store with a gun in a holster.

cs9c1

imported post

Well welcome to the group, and by the post count it is your 1st. I have become convinced that most people walk around with blinders on and never see my Glock. Granted it is quite small (G27), but you would think it would stick out like a sore thumb (what I expected) but nope. I get very few comments and most are "you a cop" due, I think, to me being military and probably looking the part :p. Again welcome.

PS: hey moderators, why is Glock still not in the spell checker?:shock:

CajunBass

imported post

Yep. That was my first. I had read the forum before, and have posted on "packing.org" as well as a half dozen other "gun boards" so I forget which ones I have and which I haven't. Thanks for the welcome.

I grew up near Mechanicsville, down in the Black Creek area. Graduated from Lee-Davis, and have hunted and fished all over that area.