• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PWC Fair

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I want to go to the Prince William County Fair this weekend. Anyone who can tell me (yes, I'm searching on my own too) if the fairgrounds are fair game to carry? Can I carry openly, or must I conceal?

possumboy

imported post

I'm getting ready to go there myself.

I cannot find if the fairgrounds are public or private property, and if they are rented for the fair, or still considered public use.

There is only one way to find out, the worst they can do is ask you to leave. If they do, get names and number if we find out later that it is considered public property.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, I chose to wear a big t-shirt, and keep it untucked, over my belt.

My husband carried openly, though. I didn't see anyone else carrying.

We couldn't find any postings. Many of the LEOs there simply nodded or said 'hi'.

We're going back next Friday for the rodeo; will likely carry open then.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Two years ago when I went to the fair I was wondering the same thing. I was debating whether I should lock the gun in the car when I happened to see a Prince William County cop walking by so I asked him, and he said that it wasn't posted "no firearms" but that he wouldn't recommend carrying a gun around so many people. I nearly laughed out loud at his hyprocricy. :lol:

possumboy

imported post

So, the real question would be... Is it public property or not? If it is, then posting "no firearms" means nothing.

I'm going to the bluegrass tomorrow at 1400 if I can get out of bed in time.

zoom6zoom

imported post

The event is operated by a private company, not the county. As far as the actual ownership of the fairgrounds, I was not able to find any information on that either.

possumboy

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
The event is operated by a private company, not the county. As far as the actual ownership of the fairgrounds, I was not able to find any information on that either.

Thanks for answer.

Is it the entire fair, or just the "midway" that is run by a private company? I do not think a private company does the crafts, arts, and baking contests/show.

Not meaning to sound picky, just want details.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just spent a BUNCH of time on the PWC web site, searching, looking. I couldn't find ANYTHING that mentions the fairgrounds - even budget documents. I did find one document that referred to the fairground access road.

I can't imagine it not being county (or state?) property, but couldn't verify anything. It's definitely a permanent area - the sign out front gives that away.

possumboy

imported post

I confirmed it today. I was told I would have to "secure that gun in [my] car first." By a county sheriff .

One of the people at the gate had a bitch fit when they saw my gun and went directly to the officer standing at the gate.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OK - sometimes I can get ornery.

Did the county sheriff have something on which to base his decision? Or was he just "they won't need us if they carry their own guns"?

Since my husband's .45 is hard to miss, evenon a 280-lb man, and no one had a problem with it yesterday.

Sounds like inconsistent "enforcement" based on presumed or nonexistent grounds.

possumboy

imported post

The best way to know is write the contact information on the website - pwcfair1@aol.com.

I will write a little later asking about he policy. If they do not have a policy, I will contact the sheriff's department about officers enforcing their beliefs.

Also, doesn't my taxes pay for them? If this private property, why are they acting security?

possumboy

imported post

Sent this email, and copied Philip (VCDL) on it. Will post the reponse if any.

Subject: What is the policy for handgun carry on the fairgrounds?

Virginia law allows open carry (without a permit) and concealed carry (with a permit). It is my understanding the fairgrounds are privately owned and used by the county for the Prince William County Fair.

I attempted to attend the fair on Sunday, August 13, 2006. I was turned away by a county sheriff’s officer saying that this was private property. Also, one of your gate staff was almost screaming that I had a gun, and started questioning others going through the gate if they had a gun.

Thank you,
Nathaniel Breeding

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

possumboy wrote:
Sent this email, and copied Philip (VCDL) on it. Will post the reponse if any.

Subject: What is the policy for handgun carry on the fairgrounds?

Virginia law allows open carry (without a permit) and concealed carry (with a permit). It is my understanding the fairgrounds are privately owned and used by the county for the Prince William County Fair.

I attempted to attend the fair on Sunday, August 13, 2006. I was turned away by a county sheriff’s officer saying that this was private property. Also, one of your gate staff was almost screaming that I had a gun, and started questioning others going through the gate if they had a gun.

Thank you,
Nathaniel Breeding

Kinda wish you hadn't done that (on the "it's easier to ask forgiveness" model). But if they do respond negatively, I hope they do so by citing law. I'm searching the VCDL and Attorney General's sites for any comments or opinions on whether this has been addressed before. Now that we're in to Fair season, i'd hate to see all counties adopt asinine rules (assuming they legally can).

I couldn't find anything that says the grounds are privately owned. Did you find it?

possumboy

imported post

Tess wrote:
Kinda wish you hadn't done that (on the "it's easier to ask forgiveness" model). But if they do respond negatively, I hope they do so by citing law. I'm searching the VCDL and Attorney General's sites for any comments or opinions on whether this has been addressed before. Now that we're in to Fair season, i'd hate to see all counties adopt asinine rules (assuming they legally can).

I couldn't find anything that says the grounds are privately owned. Did you find it?
I'm not asking for permission. I'm just checking on their policy. From now on, concealed, means concealed.

It was the county sheriff's officer that told me it was private property. This will confirm or deny it. If it is public, which I doubt now, I will talk with the Sheriff. If it is not the policy of the the fair to deny entry, I will talk with the Sheriff about his officers enforcing their views.

If it is private, and they have a policy, I will carry concealed anytime I'm on the fair grounds.

I know the county that I grew up in owns the fairgrounds so they would be preempted. I guess it all comes down to the business of the fair. You can have businesses named Prince William County xxxxx, and not be sponsored by the county. Maybe fairs are just that, a business using the name.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thank you. I never thought of looking there.

I'll be interested to hear what they say is their policy, and why (if OC is not allowed) they didn't post it or tell the officers inside.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Possumboy - don't know if you heard anything yet, but I OC'd tonight at the fair. I know a couple of people noticed, but the only one who mentioned anything was the cooking demonstrator in the commercial building.

twistedbill

imported post

I was just wondering and am kinda new to this forum. Does anyone know if it is legal to carry at the Prince William County fair going on this weekend? This may have been discussed somewhere before but just interested if anyone knew for sure.