• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Snohomish County

44Brent

imported post

I wasin Everett which is a little ways north of Seattle today. I carried in Walmart and Starbucks.

Nothing happened:no blood in the streets - no mass panic - no calls to the police - no comments or questions.

expvideo

imported post

Wooo... I just found out today that OC was legal, so I researched the laws and put a copy of the summarized Federal Way Police training bulletin on my blackberry, donned my only plaid shirt in an attempt to look like the opposite of a terrorist... Strapped on my Sigarms P226 in my Uncle Mikes thumb-break kydex paddle, spare mag in nylon case, and my blackberry... Time to wait for my girlfriend to get off work... So she gets to my Everett apartment and I tell her my exciting discovery of OC laws. She's a really understanding person, so she agreed to go with me on my trial run to Walmart.

So it's about a quarter of 10 pm, and we get to Walmart (the one in Everett, on hwy 99)... I tried my best not to look stressed or nervous, and smiled a lot. And much to my surprize... nothing happened. It was a great experience.

Then we went to Albertsons in Mukilteo and again, nothing happened. I even stood in line and nobody freaked out or called the cops or anything.

So thanks to all of you who helped me figure this out, and reassured me (even though you didn't know, since I've only been observing this thread)... I don't think I'll carry OC all the time, but only when it's more comfortable to do so.

First time, woot!

-Aaron

adamwa

imported post

I used to live in Snohomish County, this is what I know. Lake Stevens Police department said they are very ok with open carry of handguns. Everett Police told me they would arrest me in a heartbeat under the causing a public scare/intimidating others RCW. Be careful is all I say. Call the Police and try and get some training on the cops. I guess it depends on which you talk to. They Everett sheriffs office told me I was only asking because I wanted to intimidate others.

expvideo

imported post

Now I'm worried... Am I going to be arrested for legally carrying openly in Everett?! I'm starting to have second thoughts... It's not that I coward out of things so easily, I just have horrible luck with the justice system and I've already been arrested AND prosecuted 3 times for things that weren't even illegal. And I'm never less than polite and professional with cops!

As a person that for some reason the police love to arrest, I don't know if it's such a good idea for me to OC. Someone please say something reassuring!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I have asked before - stop calling the police departments, you will usually get risk averse political answers.

Open carry is legal in WA. Stay away from Mexican carry with a hammer cocked back - one fellow had a close call with this and the judge voided his conviction only b/c he was charged with a preempted local ordiance.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

expvideo, If you've had bad luck, then don't tempt fate. AdamWA and expvideo, please PM me everything you've delt with at least as far as open carry and asking questions of the PD. Give me emails and phone numbers so I can add you to my contact lists.

Given AdamWA's statement, I have added Everett now to the list of "need to educate". Please refrain from open carry up there until then. They will be delt with soon as I can find out who sends out the training bulletins.

-Lonnie

44Brent

imported post

expvideo: I used to think that open carry was illegal based on comments written by J. Scott Kappas in his book for travelers. Well, he was wrong as I learned from Lonnie.

So, I carried openly in Washington, and no crisis ensued.

And then, you carried, and no crisis ensued.

Freedom is contagious -- Welcome to the club!

expvideo

imported post

Thanks Brent.

So I went into Action Sports (a gun shop here in the Lynnwood area) and the guy behind the counter insisted that open carry was illegal. It just goes to show that people shouldn't go to their local gun shop expecting legal advice. It never ceases to amaze me how many people will trust someone to know the gun laws inside and out just because they work at a gun store.

So just to emphasize to to anyone who doesn't know already: a gun store employee is not a lawyer and often is not any more educated on firearms laws than you are.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Exactly! Only a couple of years ago I once walked into Gilbert's gun store (FFX County, VA) open carrying 2 guns and the guy behind the counter with an "NRA Instructor" T-shirt said "Hey, you can't walk around like that outside - the police will arrest you!"

I almost uncontrollably laughed at him and said "Yeah right, do you have a lane open"?

The look on his face was priceless.

expvideo

imported post

While in the same halloween costume (from the kind county thread), I carried into WalMart in Everett. The guy at the door asked "is it loaded" and pointed to my gun. I said "Uh... yeah." He said "shoot me!" I told him "It's, uh... real. I don't think that would be a good idea." He thought that was hillarious! Didn't question my motives or anything, just laughed really hard. :D

carnaby

imported post

So I went into Action Sports (a gun shop here in the Lynnwood area) and the guy behind the counter insisted that open carry was illegal.
It's "Adventure Sports." I've bought a couple guns there. The staff are usually quite friendly, and you'd probably do well if you brought by a copy of the Federal Way Police OC memo.

They stock lots of good stuff there, Sako TGR's, and Les Baer 1911's and AR's among them.