• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Top vs Thumbreak

What is your preference for OC

• Open Top

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thumb break

• Thumb break with additional retention

• Total voters

gsh341

imported post

I use a custom open top speed-crossdraw. I wear it at 11o'clock position. It has adjustable tension and will not fall out accidentally. I tried a thumb snap and hated it. Just my personal preference.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I like a thumb break for its positive retention. If I trip or the SHTF and I am rolling around on the ground my weapon is still going to be there when I need it.

jimwyant

imported post

I'm with longwatch on this one. I used to hate thumbreak holsters, and avoided them like the plague. My reason was because of the (perceived) additional time required to draw. Then I had my weapon fall on the ground one day while I was running (OK, waddling fast - I'm fat). I started looking around for well-made thumbreak holsters that were designed in such a manner that the thumb actually does unsnap the strap during the normal draw motion, and the strap doesn't hang on the weapon. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way. I practice regularly with what I carry, and have optimized my draw technique to match the design of the holster. I no longer believe that the snap adds any measurable draw time, but it definitely gives me additional peace of mind. This is what works for me - but may be the worst choice for someone else.

robbiev427

imported post

I prefer an open holster. I only buy high quality holsters that hold the gun properly, so the gunfalling out is not something I worry about.

cs9c1

imported post

I have, what I guess you could say, is both. I like my leather holster more than my Blackhawk CQC for comfort, but I HATE the thumbreak. The CQC if far superior for speed of draw and I love how the release puts your trigger finger right where it is supposed to be.

Woody

imported post

Open top when concealed and thumb break when open carrying. I am more worried about someone making a grab for it (extremely unlikely as it is) than the gun falling out.

TrueBrit

imported post

Open top for CC, thumbreak or some form of retention for OC seems good to me.I am sure that many well made, fitted open top holsters retain the gun very well, but I am not brave enough to take any chances.

I also feel that an open carried handgun, shrouded somewhat by a thumbreak, looks rather less"menacing" to the unenlightened, perhaps.Just a thought.

TrueBrit.

gunnersmatevls

imported post

both, open top kydex for my 1911 primary, and an uncle mike witha retention on my left side, cross draw, for my 357, secondary.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK, I'll admit that I originally voted for a thumb break and for 50%+ of my OC, I'll stick with it. That is for the everyday, run of the mill, not sure where I may end up open carry. My S&W 3913tsw likes a FOBUS paddle if we know that there will not be in shoulder-to-shoulder crowds, be in the car for long periods or will likely be in a quiet environment. So much so, that I bought another for the Beretta 92fs- It was jealous and wanted to breath "freely" on those long walks. I will say that the FOBUS Paddle is so easy to put on and take off and it conceals (when needed) really well.

presbyreformed

imported post

gunnersmatevls wrote:
both, open top kydex for my 1911 primary, and an uncle mike witha retention on my left side, cross draw, for my 357, secondary.
Wow, that's some heavy hardware (in both senses of the word) you're carrying around! Do you OC both at the same time? That's what I'm interpreting your post to say.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I hate thumb breaks, especially with weapons with exposed hammers. I only use snap straps for single action revolvers like colt style 45s. The Blackhawk Serpa (trigger finger release) is a superbly designed holster. I carry my 1911 in a hybrid (kydex and leather) that retains so well that to date no one has been able to snatch it from me - tested cleared and with full cooperation of both parties! Retension is so positve that the draw stroke must be practiced and learned or the user wont be able to clear leather with one hand.

tattedupboy

imported post

I do security work and the only duty holsters that are available for my duty weapon (a Hi Point C-9) is a thumb break, and even after years and tens of thousands of practice reps drawing the weapon, I still hate it. My problem is not so much with the draw as it is with reholstering. Even though I have never tried one of the Blackhawk Serpa or Bianchi Carry Lok type holsters, I can only imagine that reholstering with one of these is far easier than it would be with a holster with a thumb break. Even with practice, it is my opinion that thumb breaks complicate reholstering, and open top holsters make it easier. Do you guys feel that way?

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I used to use a Federal ambi holster, but the retention straps were a little iffy. I have since gotten an Uncle Mike's ambi which holds the retention straps far more securely (it takes a tool to undo or adjust the velcro underneath the "Strap Traps"). Both have thumb breaks. It's the best of both worlds; the strap, with practice, is a negligible obstacle to drawing, yet it provides pretty solid retention.

I also have a holster for my .22 pistol when I'm using it as a snake gun (9mm HydraShoks is kinda overkill for that particular purpose:D). It has a retention strap WITHOUT thumb break, and it makes me glad I have the thumb break for my 9mm.

A question for the crowd; which way do you position your thumb break? Do you have the snap on the inside of the holster so your thumb is closer to its grip position when opening the strap, or on the outside which, at least for me, is easier to break? I have mine on the outside because it's easier and thus faster, just curious how everyone else does it.

Captain

imported post

"If" I were to open carry, I would want at least a thumb break. Combined with some training against disarm attempts. I have a Strong Piecekeeper holster that would be an excellent choice for open carry. It is a thumb break but you need to turn the thumb break before it will release. With practice it is quite fast.

Loneviking

imported post

My vote is 'some sort of retention device'---preferably at least a level 2 retention level. You don't want someone grabbing your gun when you are in a grocery store reacing up to get something off the shelf. The serpa system is a good system and some of the Blackhawk serpas can be upgraded from level 2 to 3 or even 4.

FogRider

imported post

Where is the "All of the above option"? I have leather open top, thumb break, other retention (serpa), and I just ordered a shoulder holster. But I suppose that would fall under thumb break.