• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ever had a guy with a gun call?

gunnersmatevls

imported post

Im just curious as to how many of you have had the LEA's called on you while open carrying. Not me. Cuz NM nice like that.

jimwyant

imported post

I've had law enforcement just happen to show up three or four times. This was either when I OC'ed into a place for the first time, or late at night (I work nights, so 4AM for me is like 4PM for most), or in a non-traditional manner (Safariland 6004 Thigh holster - not my normal way to OC). However, in only one of these experiences was I actually approached and addressed by the responding LEO's, which speaks volumes for the education level of the agencies in my area. The one incident I did have was really a non-incident, the LEO's did not question me, but were just relaying the desire of management (who, for some unknown reason were unwilling to approach me themselves) that I either conceal if I had a permit, or remove my weapon from the store. My wife and I had been shopping there for nearly an hour, and I didn't want to walk out, just to have to repeat the procedure elsewhere, so I untucked my shirt and made everyone happy.

jimwyant

imported post

I'm assuming you're asking about the one time I was actually spoken to by the responding LEO. It was at the Brook Rd Wal-Mart, I posted the experience in another thread http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/241.html

If you were asking about the time I wore my thigh rig in the wee hours of the morning, it was at the Walgreens at Laburnum and Mechanicsville Tpke., and I you can find that story in http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/25.html

I guess I tell all my stories here.

cs9c1

imported post

So you like to kiss and tell huh?

A thigh rig is mighty bold. I had one in Iraq, and couldn't get comfortable with it. I actually went through many types of carry including a shoulder holster that I liked but couldn't get my pistol out fast enough for my liking. I ended up with a "Cop Belt" set up.

jimwyant

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
So you like to kiss and tell huh?
Sometimes, I guess. :)

Personally, I love my thigh rig. The only complaint is that sometimes I'll mis-judge just how far it sticks out, and will scrape it against something. I find it comfortable, secure, and after hundreds of practice draws, I love the retention "hood" that Safariland uses on that model. It does make quite the bold statement, and they don't make one for my Alaskan, so I'm sticking to my traditional OWB for now. I used to have a shoulder holster, an antique vertical Bianchi universal that I carried almost everything in, but the elastic strap has given up the ghost, and I'm too lazy to take it to be repaired, now that I OC all the time. I have considered replacing it with a Jackass rig for backup carry in the winter, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Sorry, I guess this post should have been in the "holsters" section.

novaccw

imported post

I posted this on Friday, 20 August 2006: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/380-2.html

As I said in the post, the officer said there was no problem with anyone in the store. I walked right in front of the police car on my way out of the store, but the officer whom actually spoke to me was inside the store when I came out. I assume his partner pointed me out, or he just noticed me from about 50 or so yards away. I have OC'd at this Giant numerous times with no problems, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone did call me in. The cop was very nice. He did ask twice if I had a CHP, while at the same time acknowledging that I didn't need one - I thought that was weird. Well, wait a minute, I just had a thought (happens every once in a while), maybe he figured if I could pass a background check for a CHP I was OK. Wonder if he would have hassled me if I said that I didn't have a CHP?