• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

mag pouch/accessories when open carrying?

Woody

imported post

Does anyone carry a mag pouch or other accessories on your belt when open carrying? I do when concealed, but havn't yet open (not that i oc very much).

jimwyant

imported post

I normally carry a double speed loader pouch. I hope never to need the six rounds in the weapon, much less 12 more, but I believe in being prepared. Now that the new generation of flashlights have become more reasonably priced, I am considering adding one of those as well. I work nights and do most of my business during night hours when I am off.

norahc

imported post

When I OC, I usually carry a double mag pouch on my left side. Like Jimmywant said, I hope never to need the ones in my firearm, much less any others but it would ruin my day if I got shot or killed because of a mag failure.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

I carry one extra magazine - left side - 8 round mag .45 ACP with my 1911. Just about everything I've read and everyone I've talked to recommends, for several reasons, carrying at least one.

Arizona-Texan

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I usually carry at least a magazine or 2 and a surefire on my belt.

I'll bite. What's a surefire?

I usually carry a spare magazine or two in my rear pocket. I bought some tactical belt pouches at a tactical store (10-8 gear)this weekend, and I'm experimenting with them instead.

jimwyant

imported post

Surefire is one of the more popular brands of the new generation of tactical flashlights. They are only slightly larger than the Mini-mag type AA lights, but are 4-12 times brighter than D-cell lights. http://www.surefire.com is the company's website. Other companies that make similar products are are Digilight, Pelican, Streamlight, Pentagon...

MADISON

imported post

I can not see what difference it would make with OPEN CARRY if you use a double or single magazine carrier from FOBUS or UNCLE MIKE'S.

Myself I buy knife holsters the saame size as my magazine. It is less conspicuous if it has a knife brand printed on it.

MADISON

imported post

Take your semi-auto magazine to a Knife Shop.

Find a folding knife case [If possible with a knife maker's name on it.] that fits your magazine. Leather or cloth is OK.

tattedupboy

imported post

Ok, I'll bite. I work as a security guard and the only time I ever OC is at work. The accessories I carry are a cell phone, OC pepper spray, a gun holster (BTW, my carrypieceis a compact 9mm Hi-Point C9) with a mag pouch, a 21-inchasp, a pocketknife, handcuffs, a flashlight, double mag pouch, and stun gun.

danbus

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Ok, I'll bite. I work as a security guard and the only time I ever OC is at work. The accessories I carry are a cell phone, OC pepper spray, a gun holster (BTW, my carrypieceis a compact 9mm Hi-Point C9) with a mag pouch, a 21-inchasp, a pocketknife, handcuffs, a flashlight, double mag pouch, and stun gun.
Wow...thats the same firearm I was considering to purchase. Any pros and cons you can offer?

Texaschl

imported post

I carry a 1911 , with 2 spare mags on hte left side at the hip, ith 9 rds in the gun and 16 on my hip. After my training at Gunsite I started carrying the spares .

I use a Don Hume open top mag pouch with Wilson combat 47D's

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I think its a good idea to have a flashlight. If you can't see someone, it makes it hard to identify or hit them.

I don't understand what the point is to having a knife holster for magazines. They sell magazine pouches specifically designed for magazines. Having a knife though is smart.

The pocket also works for lights and mags too, since there aren't many laws criminalizing concealing a flashlight or magazine.

nemo

imported post

I carry a multi-tool, knife, spray, mag pouch (I usually carry a second mag in a pocket pouch)... oh yeah: a pistol! I don't quite feel like batman, but I want to also carry a cell phone (I keep putting off getting one), and a flash; I thought that there were a few other things to wear, but I cannot recall what they are, right now (have not yet had my morning coffee).

Vaguely related question: are saps legal in Va? That would seem to be a useful item.