• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Body Armor

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

whats up with some vests specifically labeled as stab vests? Arent all armors stab resistant?

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

jimwyant wrote:
Short of serious abuse (being shot, submerssion in water, etc.) the ballistic material will last pretty much forever.

The only thing I will add to what Jim said is that ANY exposure to moisture will (to some degree) reduce the effectiveness of the ballistic fiber. If the officer had to work a wreck in a downpour, etc, that was moisture exposure.

I would suggest buying the vest new if you can afford it.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
whats up with some vests specifically labeled as stab vests? Arent all armors stab resistant?

NO!!!! The fibers of a standard ballistic vest are laid out to stop (disipate) the relatively blunt ballistic energy of a bullet

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Regular ballistic vests offer good slash knife protection, but are not "knife-proof". Stab-Resistant vests offer a much higher level of protection from stabbing attacks.

Even then,
[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]certification is done in two different categories of threat; standard knives which are called "Edged Blade", and ice-pick or improvised "Spike" weapons. So stab vests are rated in two categories, "Edged Blade" and "Spike" and can be rated for either or both categories.

[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]In addition to cost, stab resistance does add a LOT of weight and stiffness to a vest!

[/font]

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

jpierce wrote:
thorsmitersaw wrote:

NO!!!! The fibers of a standard ballistic vest are laid out to stop (disipate) the relatively blunt ballistic energy of a bullet

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Regular ballistic vests offer good slash knife protection, but are not "knife-proof". Stab-Resistant vests offer a much higher level of protection from stabbing attacks.

Even then,
[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]certification is done in two different categories of threat; standard knives which are called "Edged Blade", and ice-pick or improvised "Spike" weapons. So stab vests are rated in two categories, "Edged Blade" and "Spike" and can be rated for either or both categories.

[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]In addition to cost, stab resistance does add a LOT of weight and stiffness to a vest!

[/font]

Well I doubt I would purchase one anyway considering that most vests I see labeled in such a way are lower level armor protection... it seems.

Stabbing is a major threat in this are though. I have had friends who have ben stabbed on the metro and am often afraid of being a target of ms13 or soemthing... who seem to do alot of tht :cuss:

Wooley

imported post

Jim, keep in mind that most PD wear III or IIIA. Anything less might not be able to stop certain rounds. I don't have the info right on hand, so I'm speaking from memory. Just something for you to look into.

Wooley

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
Unless I end up in Law Enforcement when I retire, I got enough of body armor in Iraq that my shoulder and back will ever want:?. If the situation called for it I am sure I would. I cant imagine that the civilian armor weighs any thing like ACH, and IBA with SAPPI plates.:p

We don't wear helmets unless we wanted (and I didn't want) and we had the negatively bouyant, multi-hit rated plates over soft armor.

Oh, and we made $400 plus a day. Must have been why I didn't reenlist.