Thread: CROSS COUNTRY TRAVEL QUESTION

Post imported post

I have a question regarding the use of the word "preemption" as used on this site.

I'm traveling from NY to AZ in the next couple of weeks by car. I have a valid NY ccw license. When I view the Travel Map I'm not sure what the word preemtion means as used in this site. I know the defination of preemption, but not how it's used here.

Should my guns be locked in the trunk, with the mags elsewhere, loaded, un-loaded, ammo stored elsewhere, etc.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Mitch

Post imported post

On this site "preemption" usually refers to legislative action on the part of the state to prohibit other levels of government, (usually municipalities and counties) from passing their own firearm ordinances. This way, the laws are kept uniform throughout the state, and the traveler does not have to learn different laws for every city/county he/she may go through.

As far as your case goes, you may have to case your weapon and ammunition if you are traveling through a state that does not recognize your license, and does not allow some form of unlicensed carry. Hence, the map.

ProguninTN

Post imported post

Thanks, that clears up that question. I'm "good" in most states I'll cross, and will lock everything away in those states I'm not good in.

Thanks again

Mitch

Post imported post

No problem. Glad I could Help.

ProguninTN