• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP training

357luvr

imported post

Me personally, I prefer to OC and will usually not do buisness with someone who does not allow this. However, in some situations, I'd like to be able to CC. This mostly applies to my BUG. Either way, I'd like to get a CHP and was wondering if any of you know of a place that offers this type of training. I plan to call my local gun store (Woodbrook sports & pro shop) when they open. But if any of you have any personal experience or know of anyone in particular who does CHP training, please let me know. I'd prefer to stay local (Charlottesville area) but am willing to travel as far as Richmond if need be. Does anyone know how much this type of training usually costs?Thanks

Goliath

imported post

I did my CHP training at the Rivana Rifle and Pistol Club. They are about 10-15 minutes south of Charlottesville on Old Lynchburg Rd.It was $50 and was done and over with in an evening. I think their website is RRPC.ORG or RRPC.NET. Their website has a schedule and a contact for the CHP classes.

357luvr

imported post

I went to RRPC last night and passed the class. I've got to brag a little bit so excuse me here. When it came to the actual shooting portion of the class, I did GREAT!!! At about 10 yards (I know, that's pretty close and nothing to brag about) I was able to group 20 shots into a 2" circle. Everyone else looked as though they were struggling to keep their shots on a 8x11 piece of paper at the same distance. I ended up backing the target off to about twice the distance and still did better than most everyone else. We had no actual target, just a plain piece of paper and I was just aiming for the first bullet hole of the group. Total count was 20 shots in one 2" hole with 7 flyers about an inch further out at ~10 yards. Then at ~20 yards I was able to group the rest of a 50 round box into the size of a 9 ring on a silohuette (I don't think I spelled that right). If I compared myself against the other shooters (which I did even though I know it wasn't an accuracy based class) I would've qualified as an expert. Like I said, I did GREAT!!! Sorry, just had to brag a little. BTW - RRPC is a great place, I strongly recommend them for training or shooting! Oh yeah, now it's only $30 for the class.

cREbralFIX

imported post

FRI comes to Rivana and they're scheduled for this fall. Steve Silverman is the owner and is a very good trainer. I highly recommend that you attend his Level 2 class and really learn to use that weapon.

www.f-r-i.com

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The Louisa County Sheriff Office has classes, that is where my wife went for her's. I think it is about $15.00 and takes 2 days (1 class room day and 1 range day)