• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First Time OCing!!!

livitup

imported post

Well, guys (and gal!) I did it, I'm no longer an OC virgin!

I needed a book, and the nearest decent book stores are Fredericksburg and Warrenton. I chose Fredericksburg, so off I and Mr. USP go!

1st stop: 7-11 in Chancelor on the way for some water and chap stick. Nobody even looked twice.

2nd stop: Little Cesars for a pizza. Nobody even looked twice.

3rd stop: Gander Mountain. This was a little odd. I hadn't called ahead because I read somewhere (I don't remember if it was here or not) that someone had called a manager there and they were cool with CC, dispite their signs. Just to be on the safe side I untucked before I went in. As you enter the stores they have about 1000 new bright orange signs that say any firearm that you are bringing in must be unloaded and checked in at the customer service desk. So I thought I'd better be safe than sorry and I stopped to ask. The kid behind the desk seemed unsure about their CC rules and said I could unload and leave it at the desk. No thanks. I went back to the car and secured my pistol before I went around to wander. I plan on following this up with a call to the manager during the day tomorrow. I didn't want to make a scene, and hey... this is my first time OC, so I was a little nervous anyway.
I've been looking for a CC weapon, as my H&K is about impossible to hide under anything but a parka. They have a 15% off sale on used guns and they just happened to have this sweet little former law enforcement G23 with a price tag of $429. Take off the 15% and I walked out of Gander with an extra mag, kydex holster, and a fresh box of Gold Dots for less than 450. Sweet! Just to add to my nerves the Instacheck was initially "delayed" because the operator misheard the salesguy's spelling of my name. They called back in 10 minutes though, said they realized the mistake, and I was good to go.

Back out in the car I retucked and reholstered the USP. Onward!

Wal*Mart in Central Park: Quick in-and-out, nobody even looked twice.

Next stop: Borders... oh yeah, that's what I came to the 'burg for! I was in Borders for probably over half an hour. They couldn't find the book I wanted, even though the system said it was there. I talked to 2 customer service people, and stood in line at the registers 3 times. During my last stint in line there was a 18ish guy in front of me who was goofing around with his girlfriend. Next to the registers there is a display of $100 light sabers. He started goofing around with their demo model and I got to joking around with him. We were kidding around for about 5 minutes in line. Right before they were about to get called up to the register he asked "So, you law enforcement," nodding towards the USP. I gave my version of 'just a guy' (which I had been rehersing in the car all the way to Fredericksburg) and he nodded. "Cool."

And...

Well that's it. All really anti-climatic, empowering, exciting, and positive experience. I'm off work tomorrow, so I'm going to OC all day, and see what happens.

Thanks for the confidence, gang!

jimwyant

imported post

Congrats on bustin' your cherry. I'm glad it was uneventful.

I do have one comment, and it is in no way meant to criticize. I just go off about this at the slightest provocation - please forgive me. Even though you got an excellent deal on your purchase at Gander Mountain, I won't let any of my money leave my hands in any business that requires me to disarm. Most folks here are more forgiving of businesses that show firearms on the premises, but I feel that the only acceptable compromise is one that exempts CHP holders from a "no loaded weapons" rule. As such, one must show at least some level of familiarization with a firearm, and they deserve the benefit of the doubt IMHO. OK, done ranting.

Again, congrats! Looking forward to meeting you at the Richmond OC meeting this weekend!

livitup

imported post

Jim,

I normally would agree with you 1000% on disarming, and I actually thought about just leaving, but:

• I've about had it with Clark Bros. indiffernet attitude. Every time I walk in that store I have to pry a salesperson away from lunch and/or ask for help 10 times. They were out of what I (thought) I wanted anyway. Them and Gander is about all I know about within a reasonable distance.

As I said, I was a bit nervous, and didn't feel like arguing the point without being totally lucid.

I really wanted a new toy!

Gander seems to hire firearms people who really know their stuff and are
    firearms enthusiasts themselves.

And last, but not least, I think this was just the kid not sure what to do. I'll give them one free pass, and I plan to follow up with the manager. If this really is their policy then I will probably take my business elsewhere.

Looking forward to meeting you too... Now, who should I bring along? I've never had to face this decision before. Hopefully the USP won't get jealous!

jimwyant

imported post

Thanks for not taking offense over my previous post. I completely understand your reasons for what you did, not that you have to justify your actions to anyone.

Please allow me to offer another suggestion by way of sharing a quirk that I have. Glock is an excellent weapon, and should have no problem digesting the equally capable Gold Dots you have chosen, all while putting the lead exactly where you want it. Kydex holsters, while not my favorite, are reasonably foolproof. Your new combination will, no doubt, perform as expected. However, any time I purchase a new weapon, or a new method of carrying an existing weapon, I won't use the new hardware without a trip to the range (weapon) or an hour in front of the mirror (holster) to "prove" it. All that to say this: Take your new baby out for a walk before trusting your life to her. My $0.02.

Oh, and USP's aren't known to be the jealous type. My 45 Tactical performs as well now as when she was my primary carry, even though it has been nearly a year since I retired her in favor of a different style of 45 caliber.

See you Saturday night.

novaccw

imported post

liveitup, I was the one who posted about the Gander Mountain's rules on CC. The female manager that I spoke to was very polite. I asked if we could step aside (so as not to make a scene), informed her that I was carrying and asked if that was ok because of their sign. She asked that it remain concealed, much like you, I did not feel like arguing the open carry point just then. Remember, just be curtious and explain yourself, more often than not, you won't have any problems...welcome to the wonderful world of open carry!!

livitup

imported post

Thanks for the comments guys!

novaccw, which Gander did you talk to the manager at?

Jim, your point about practicing with the new combo is right on the money. I thought about that as well. I'm off to some range time at Clark Brothers this afternoon. :)

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Livitup, I'll bet at first you felt like you had a big mountain howitzer strapped to your waist with a neon sign flashing "GUN.....GUN....GUN!" Don't worry, that feeling goes away after awhile, and you become aware of how most people are in "condition white" most of the time (a polite way of saying oblivious to their surroundings). Others generally don't seem to care.

Enjoy your get together in Richmond.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I went to a Gander Mountain in Genesee County, Michigan,and their sign just inside the doors stated basically the same thing. However, just below the "...unloaded and checked in...", it stated that it did not apply to ccw holders. CC'd just-in-case.