Page 1 of 202 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry - Richmond area

Post imported post

Let's startan OC thread for the Richmond area!

We OC'd at the HKKB on 60 in Midlothian. No problems and good food!

Post imported post

OC'd at the Sycamore Square Italian Cafe, Midlothian, off Midlothian turnpike. No problems, good pizza.

Post imported post

OC'd Mickey D's on Hopkins, FoodLion x 2 on Hopkins, and subway on hopkins. No problems.

Post imported post

OC'd in Autozone in Powhatan on highway 60. Received extra attention and service due to OC (I think), but no comments or problems.

Post imported post

OC'd IHOPS Midlothian trnpk 08/27...place was packed...enjoyed breakfast with family...my 3yo got a free pancake from staff...no problems

Post imported post

OC'd at Kroger foods on Hugeunot Rd. in Midlothian. Nobody noticed.

Post imported post

Borders at Short Pump Town center (open carry there about once a week)

Ukrops in Short Pump (open carry there multiple times per week)

Staples to buy packing supplies (third time open carrying there)

Shell at Pump Road in Short Pump (open carry there about five times per week)

Post imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
    Borders at Short Pump Town center (open carry there about once a week)

Ukrops in Short Pump (open carry there multiple times per week)

Staples to buy packing supplies (third time open carrying there)

Shell at Pump Road in Short Pump (open carry there about five times per week)

I thought Short Pump Town Centerhad a no guns policy...

Post imported post

Its great to see things have straightened out in Short Pump. I'm sure many of us remember the unpleasantness there some months back. Looks like the local constabulary got the word, huh?

Post imported post

Short Pump Town Center does have a no guns policy, for what it is worth. Butthe Barnes and Nobleis right next to the mall (facing West Broad Street), but not actually in the mall or part of the mall, just on the same tract of land (I said Borders in my original post, I meant Barnes and Noble, although I have open carried at the Borders on West Broad several times as well). Barnes and Noblehas always been open carry friendly as far as I can tell(see numerous other postings about carrying there). In fact, I have carried there several times when off-cuty, uniformed Henrico Police and Sherriff deputies were present (they provide security in the evenings on the weekend) - although I may not have been noticed.

Post imported post

"Its great to see things have straightened out in Short Pump. I'm sure many of us remember the unpleasantness there some months back. Looks like the local constabulary got the word, huh?"

REPLY: I hope so. But it could be more a matter of I have not run into any police officers since that night while open carrying (I am the guy who had the "run-in"). Based on the Chief's subsequent comments to Philip Van Cleave and the results of the internal affairs investigation, combined with my ownrelentless (but polite)counter-efforts (involving VCDl, the Justice Department, the local commonwealths attorney, my father who is an attorney, etc) I suspect things will be fine now, but we really won't know until another open carrier has a direct encounter with a Henrico officer!

If an officer simply approaches to have a brief, non-custodial, consensual conversationwith an open carrier to politely and subtly "check 'em out", I'd say that is fine by me. The test will be if that is where things end or not. Personally, I'd prefer not to be the "second case" after having been the first (not good for my nerves!), but I am committed to my rights as a Virginian. Hopefully, some others are open carrying in the Short Pump area now. Other than that one night, I've never had a problem anywhere around here, having open carried at least a couple hundred times....

Post imported post

what about contacting the news or newpaper aboutthis issue and rights?

Post imported post

Hi guys, new to the forum. I oc just about everywhere I go and have never had a problem. I live off Hull St and my sidearm goes with me everywhere.

Post imported post

meandmyglock,

Welcome!! I'm another southsider and OC'r. Looking forward to meeting you the next dinner we have.

Post imported post

Ahhh have I got a story for you guys. Last May, my roommate and I were coming back from Dominion shooting range with my mossberg maverick (the 6 shot security model, it has the knoxx spec ops stock on it, ghost ring sights, all the good stuff any home defense shotgun needs). We go to VCU, and live in student housing, so since I'm not allowed to keep it at my place (DUH!), it stays at my roommate's girlfriend's apartment. When I want go to the range, I pick it up, then bring it back, clean it, and put it back in the case. Anyways, since she lives in the fan, there was nowhere to park as usual. We had to park a good 3 blocks away from her apartment and walk it back. I didnt have the case with me, so I decided to just open carry it back. I made sure it was unloaded, that the chamber was clear, and the safety was on, then we proceeded to walk back (I was holding it by the fore-end with the barrel pointing at the ground.). It was pretty dark out, and wouldn't you know it, a Richmond police officer was walking right towards us. He sees it, then proceeds to shout multiple expletives, grabs it out of my hands, threatens us with "felony charges" (he said something like "you want a felony boy?!"), and made us stand against the wall, while calling for another officer. The other cop arrived and the first officer told him what happened. The second officer asked him if I was brandishing it, if it was loaded, etc, which he answered no. Then the second officer told us that, while open carrying was legal, we could be arrested for "disturbing the peace since walking down grove ave. with a riot shotgun isn't really the smartest idea". I then asked if I was free to go, and he said that he was going to drive the gun to the apartment, while we walked there. I told him that I had the right to open carry and I was going to walk it myself, and he literally threw it in the back of the car (which really pissed me off) and drove to the apartment.

Post imported post

rchjr wrote:
    meandmyglock,

Welcome!! I'm another southsider and OC'r. Looking forward to meeting you the next dinner we have.
    Sounds good! It's good to know I'm not the only one out here.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
    Ahhh have I got a story for you guys. Last May, my roommate and I were coming back from Dominion shooting range with my mossberg maverick (the 6 shot security model, it has the knoxx spec ops stock on it, ghost ring sights, all the good stuff any home defense shotgun needs). We go to VCU, and live in student housing, so since I'm not allowed to keep it at my place (DUH!), it stays at my roommate's girlfriend's apartment. When I want go to the range, I pick it up, then bring it back, clean it, and put it back in the case. Anyways, since she lives in the fan, there was nowhere to park as usual. We had to park a good 3 blocks away from her apartment and walk it back. I didnt have the case with me, so I decided to just open carry it back. I made sure it was unloaded, that the chamber was clear, and the safety was on, then we proceeded to walk back (I was holding it by the fore-end with the barrel pointing at the ground.). It was pretty dark out, and wouldn't you know it, a Richmond police officer was walking right towards us. He sees it, then proceeds to shout multiple expletives, grabs it out of my hands, threatens us with "felony charges" (he said something like "you want a felony boy?!"), and made us stand against the wall, while calling for another officer. The other cop arrived and the first officer told him what happened. The second officer asked him if I was brandishing it, if it was loaded, etc, which he answered no. Then the second officer told us that, while open carrying was legal, we could be arrested for "disturbing the peace since walking down grove ave. with a riot shotgun isn't really the smartest idea". I then asked if I was free to go, and he said that he was going to drive the gun to the apartment, while we walked there. I told him that I had the right to open carry and I was going to walk it myself, and he literally threw it in the back of the car (which really pissed me off) and drove to the apartment.
    You should make a complaint to the police department - tell me though, any reason you did not keep it loaded and just walk with the gun slung over your shoulder?

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    You should make a complaint to the police department - tell me though, any reason you did not keep it loaded and just walk with the gun slung over your shoulder?
    Mike-

It happened back in May, and I didn't get either of their badge numbers. I wasn't thinking, and I was a little freaked out (it was my first time open carrying, and wouldn't you know, I got stopped). If it happens again I will definitely get the officers badge number and file a complaint.

I didn't keep it loaded because I thought that something like that would happen. I mean, come on. I'm a 19 year old who doesn't exactly look like the average responsible, armed citizen. I had mid-length hair and was wearing a hat, t-shirt, some shorts and chuck taylors. Do you know anybody else my age (excluding those from a more lax, rural area) that open carries? My dad is a green beret, so I've been around guns my entire life, and was taught at a very early age to be responsible about them, but police officers DEFINITELY profile people, and there is no denying that. Also, I heard that shotguns and rifles couldn't be loaded while you were open carrying them. But I suppose I'm mistaken? Isn't it more than 7 shells or something? Also, I didn't, nor do I now have a sling for it. I keep wanting to get one (knoxx makes a really nice one that can be worn multiple ways), but acessorizing is an expensive habit for poor college kids :P

Post imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
    Then the second officer told us that, while open carrying was legal, we could be arrested for "disturbing the peace since walking down grove ave. with a riot shotgun isn't really the smartest idea".
    Can anyone point me to a place in VA law that defines what constitutes "disturbing the peace"? It doesn't seem like you should be able to be charged with anything if you aren't doing anything that is against the law.

IfI can have people arrested just because they where doing something thatmakesme uncomfortable, does that mean I could have anti-gunners arrested for trying to have the government disarm me?

Post imported post

I know, its a load of BS. I should get a sling and walk down broad st. just for the hell of it/because i can.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

My thought is that a sling is a normal way to carry a rifle when not hunting or preparting to engage targets - sort of like a holster is the normal way to carry a handgun. I was not suggesting carrying rifles around just to cause a stir per se; a sling seems the way to go through when/if you are carrying a rifle.

Post imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
    I know, its a load of BS. I should get a sling and walk down broad st. just for the hell of it/because i can.
    The right to carry a long gun in public - use it or loose it.

Post imported post

1st negative reaction to oc. I was OC'ing at Food Lion today as I do about 4 times a week in that store, and as I was going through the check out the cashier finished ringing my order and when she looked up noticed my weapon(talk about condition white). In a real loud voice she said "I don't think you should be able to carry that."Now I carry all the time and most of the times I don't even remember I'm armed, so for a moment I was perplexed as to what she was talking about. In the time it took to dawn on me that the weapon was the object of her displeasure, she continued in the same loud, if not louder, voice "Guns Kill People!". At this point the couple of registers that they had open had all stopped what they were doing and I found myself the focus of attention. I was trying to pay for my purchases and she was just standing there obviously waiting for a reply. Now I realize that being the example for the gun carrying community this was my shining moment to educate an obviously ignorant member of the anti-gun community on the reality of firearms in todays society. In fact two responses were simultaneously going through my head. One was that I respected her opinion concerning her beliefs,but that guns did not kill people, people killed people, and that I appreciated her respect for my beliefs that I'm responsible for the safety of myself and my family. Unfortunately I have been having a really, reallybad day. I responded "You Know, I've had this gun for about 7 months and I haven't seen it do anything. Do you think I should take it back for a new one?" I apologize for letting the Open Carry community down by missing my chance to educate an unbeliever, but the look on her face was priceless. Not to mention the laughter of the people around me.

Just thought I would pass this along. I will try to be better!

Post imported post

Actually, I loved the response!! Which Food Lion and what was her name? I'll head over there tomorrow and see what happens!!

Post imported post

rchjr wrote:
    "You Know, I've had this gun for about 7 months and I haven't seen it do anything. Do you think I should take it back for a new one?"
    Classic! I don't think you necessarily let the gun community down. You may have pushed her more towards the anti-gun side, but since you got laughter from your immediate audience you could have pushed some of them more toward the pro side. For the rest of their lives anytime they hear the argument that "guns kill people," they are going to remember that your gun doesn't do anything!

Page 1 of 202 1231151101 ... LastLast