• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry now my normal mode of carry

PT-111

imported post

I posted a thread here back in May. The titel way "Iwant to open carry but I am nervous" and you can read it if you want, it is at the bottom of the Tennessee page here.

But, I am posting this to let you all know that for some time now, several months as a matter of fact, my normal mode of carrying my gun is open. I have been all over the place openly carrying.

I have not had anyone say anything or ask about the gun. No one has freaked out or anything. Just as you all said, no one would even notice.

Now I almost never conceal my gun unless I am going into Memphis for some reason. I still don't trust the Memphis P.D. to understand that know that open carry is legal in Tennessee.

I just wanted share that with you guys.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Your experience is pretty much the same as mine, and probably that of many of the people on this board. Keep up the good work, and encourage others in TN. If you can get enough people interested in you area, you can even start having some OC dinners at local restaurants! It's really very pleasant. Check out the VA pages on this.

SomeKid

imported post

I hear you on not trusting city PD. It took me a while to trust the City of Chattanooga, but it all depends on where you are going. Either way, carry however is comfortable, and enjoy a slightly freer state.

Memphis Reason

imported post

Too bad we still can't carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.

I've been open carrying for a little while now, mainly when I run small errands and, like you said, not going into the city. I prefer conceal, but if I'm just going to a friend's house, I'll open carry.

robbiev427

imported post

I have never had any issues with the MPD or SCSD. Most of the officers I know (keeping in mind, that most of the guys I know are regular shooters) know it is legal to OC.

Several years ago, both agencies issued memos stating that open carry was legal and thata permit holder could not be arrested for simply carrying openly. I have stated this before, but I have a copy of those somewhere, and if I can ever find them, I'll scan an post them here and/or on my website.

I also have the same experiences in general; I have never had a problem when OCing, though, admittedly, I don't open carry too often because of other constraints, such as my company's policy.

A few nights ago, IOCedin Kroger on Summer near Graham. I even ran into a friend of mine and stood at the cashier and talked to him while he was checking out. No one even gave mea second look. As usual, most people don't even notice *you're* there, much less that you have a gun.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

robbiev427 wrote:
Several years ago, both agencies issued memos stating that open carry was legal and thata permit holder could not be arrested for simply carrying openly. I have stated this before, but I have a copy of those somewhere, and if I can ever find them, I'll scan an post them here and/or on my website.
If you can find either of those, I would love to add them to the Tennessee page as resources. Please email me if you can find them. Thanks!!!

GeorgiaGlocker

imported post

Here in Georgia it is legal to openand conceal carry. However I have seen only one person open carry at least where I am from. I personally will only IWB conceal carry. I just like the element of surprise. Plus why advertise? There are just too many idiots around who would love to try and see if they could take your gun away from you just for the sake of trying. Just my 2 cents worth.

PT-111

imported post

Not only have I never run into anyone who even gave me a reason to think they might want to try to take my gun, but I don't think I have seen anyone who even noticed I have a gun on. So the element of surprise is still there as far as I can tell.

Open carry is nothing to be scared of. The more of us who do it, the more comfortable any of the sheeple will be with it.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

I've had such a hard time finding the perfect concealed carry, and I often say to myself "I wish I could just open carry." But I have to admit, I'd be very self-conscious. I'd be worried about freaking people out.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You WISH you could open carry? You CAN in Tennessee since you have a carry permit, and the only way you will realize that people won't freak out is to do it! If you run across some Canadians or New Yorkers, or something, they might "freak" a little, but what's the big deal?

LeagueOf1291

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
You WISH you could open carry? You CAN in Tennessee since you have a carry permit, and the only way you will realize that people won't freak out is to do it! If you run across some Canadians or New Yorkers, or something, they might "freak" a little, but what's the big deal?

Well, I acknowledge that you're right about the right, but I think I'm right about the freakin'.... but then you're right about "what's the big deal..."

Look... my gut tells me that if I'm going to open-carry, I need to be prepared to deal with it if somebody freaks or asks me to leave or whatever. I want to be steeled so I'll react in a way that will reflect in a positive way on all of us. I'm anticipating a range of possible reactions, from curiosity to hostility. In any event, I want to conduct myself honorably. For some this comes naturally -- me, I have to prepare for it.:p

LeagueOf1291

imported post

I have an idea.

Buffalo Valley is really just an interstate exit and about five buildings. The only one occupied is the post office. I'll sort of break myself into this concept by walking around this deserted town with my OC. Just to cut my teeth, you know.

I'll stay out of the post office, though.