• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Did People Choose their OCDO Handles?

cs9c1

imported post

novaccw wrote:
For the non-Virginians...'nova' stands for "Northern Virginia"... where I live now...and I think that 'ccw' stands for "Concealed Carry Weapon."
Hell I have lived in VA for years and didn't know what NOVA was in reference to the state, until I came to this site.

jimwyant

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
novaccw wrote:
For the non-Virginians...'nova' stands for "Northern Virginia"... where I live now...and I think that 'ccw' stands for "Concealed Carry Weapon."
Hell I have lived in VA for years and didn't know what NOVA was in reference to the state, until I came to this site.
You have to understand that those living in the northern part of the state wish to distinguish themselves from the the rest of us hick rednecks who inhabit the remainder of the state. They seem to think they're better than us common country folk. :D:D:D

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

I'm just a West Texas cowboy that ended up in the desert of Arizona on a job contract. We really like Arizona, though, especially being able to open carry. I may stay here until the TCDL gets open carry passed in Texas!

Raptor

imported post

Mine is a mix between the Air Force's F-22 and the dinosaur. I have used some version (somebody is usually using it already)of this screen name for years. And yes, when I saw Kimber's Raptor (I was already REALLY wanting a 1911 anyway), it just seemed to fit (read: I HAD to have it).

novaccw

imported post

jimmywyant...just to set the record straight...I am not a northern Virginian ( I just live here). I am a Western Pennsylvanian (near Pittsburgh). I drive south as often as possible to fish and scout bowhunting areas.I am the only person that I have ever seen around here (NOVA) wearing mossy oak camo pants, knee-high rubber boots, and a gun on my hip...in the grocery store!! The only holiday I am taking time off for this year is the opening day of rifle season in PA. I would put the shade of red on my neck against anyone in this fine state (and most of it is truly a fine place)...and I say that proudly.

parashoot man

imported post

MARYLAND, YOUR NEIBORS ARE KNOCKING AT YOUR DOOR, TURN UP YOUR HEARING AIDS AND WELCOME THEM!

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jimwyant wrote:
cs9c1 wrote:
novaccw wrote:
You have to understand that those living in the northern part of the state wish to distinguish themselves from the the rest of us hick rednecks who inhabit the remainder of the state. They seem to think they're better than us common country folk. :D:D:D
to be honest I believe it's a way of indicating we are rednecks trapped in the yuppie-dum of the metro area. We just wish we could join the rest of the rednecks! Life would be more civilized...

VAopencarry

imported post

Jim, I am a life long Marylander, up until last year. To me, NOVA always meant, 'not really Virginia'. I believe it is a helpful designation because it is not like the rest of Virginia and most people here are not Virginian's. Heck, half aren't even American's :D

VApatriot

imported post

jimwyant wrote:
cs9c1 wrote:
novaccw wrote:

I have literally live here in the northern part of Virginia my entire life, but I have to say that I just don't like it.:(There is far too many implants here from other states and countries (no offenceto anyone herewho fits that description) that just don't understand the history and heritage that is in Virginia. I am far more at home when I get to spend a week or even a weekend down in the beauty of the Shenandoah Valley.:)

I really can't call the northern part of Virginia that Heart of Dixie anymore, but to me it is at least still the Start of Dixie.

And yes, I have been called a redneck more than once,but that's alright with me.

Opie

imported post

I want to use the same name on different boards so I chose something neutral. Plus, it's homage to my Father-in-law since that's what he calls me. Incidentally, I'm proud to say that this site is the first forum I joined! -Opie

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

"Israeli Carry" would have inccorrectly implied I was an Israeli.

In short, there's not a round in the pipe, until Im ready to shoot.

I suppose I could have selected BarneyFife, but that wouldnt lend much to my ability to handle a firearm, now would it?

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OC-Glock19 is pretty self-explanatory. I use a variation of the greek phrase "Molon Labe" on another gun board, but it wasn't appropriate here.

TEX1N

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
"Israeli Carry" would have inccorrectly implied I was an Israeli.

In short, there's not a round in the pipe, until Im ready to shoot.

I suppose I could have selected BarneyFife, but that wouldnt lend much to my ability to handle a firearm, now would it?
Plus, BarneyFife would mean that there's a round in your pocket, until you are ready to shoot!

ne1

imported post

Nothing special. Anyone could've come up with mylogin. :)

Bolt06

imported post

I was going to put my normal name for everything with is sniper but I figured that would be a bad thing on an OC website.. so I picked it by the last weapon I had bought.. which was a bolt action 30-06.. and I was joining in 2006 so I stuck with bolt06.