Thread: Legal or Illegal carry?

Post imported post

I recently saw a holster for a small Beretta Bobcat that was made by Galco. The holster was very nice looking with the Galco tan leather and was similar to a oversized, large wallet with two snaps that closed it.

On thing that was very unusal, is that the wallet had a hole in the center of it for the finger to get to the trigger of the Bobcat. A portion of the slide was also cut away so that the pistol could cycle the slide back and forth (during ammo discharges).

My question is this, is that a legal/illegal way to carry that pistol? I had someone tell me that this holster was not legal due to its characteristics (descibed above). Anyone know for sure; it sure looked very nice and professional?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I think I saw a letter from the ATF saying that as long as the entire slide was visible in the holster it is legal. If it isn't it becomes an illegal wallet holster, or turns the weapon into a distructive device or something.

Post imported post

call me crazy but im sure a large holster producer such as galco wouldnt make an "illegal" holster.

Post imported post

I think the holster in question is legal but just because they make it doesn't mean its legal, some stuff out there may be intended for foreign markets and or law enforcement types or an item may not be illegal until certain conditions are met. A wallet holster is just a piece of leather until it comes in contact with a pistol, then it is a prohibited device for us common folk but not for a police officer. Lots of companies make things that are not intended for civilians but find their way into commerce.

Post imported post

I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a holster like that because of the small chance the trigger (which is exposed) could be depressed accidently.

Post imported post

Forgive my ignorance. What is illegal about a wallet holster? Is it the holster or a question of CC vs OC? -Opie

Post imported post

I believe the problem the ATF has is that it alledgedly disguises the nature of a pistol and turns the Pistol into a AOW (any other weapon). Another device that this has happened to was a pager holster, that allowed a mini revolver to fire from within the 'pager' housing.

Post imported post

Well you learn something new everyday. I had just chalked that holster up in the stupid category.