• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal or Illegal carry?

apc

imported post

I recently saw a holster for a small Beretta Bobcat that was made by Galco. The holster was very nice looking with the Galco tan leather and was similar to a oversized, large wallet with two snaps that closed it.

On thing that was very unusal, is that the wallet had a hole in the center of it for the finger to get to the trigger of the Bobcat. A portion of the slide was also cut away so that the pistol could cycle the slide back and forth (during ammo discharges).

My question is this, is that a legal/illegal way to carry that pistol? I had someone tell me that this holster was not legal due to its characteristics (descibed above). Anyone know for sure; it sure looked very nice and professional?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think I saw a letter from the ATF saying that as long as the entire slide was visible in the holster it is legal. If it isn't it becomes an illegal wallet holster, or turns the weapon into a distructive device or something.

longwatch

imported post

I think the holster in question is legal but just because they make it doesn't mean its legal, some stuff out there may be intended for foreign markets and or law enforcement types or an item may not be illegal until certain conditions are met. A wallet holster is just a piece of leather until it comes in contact with a pistol, then it is a prohibited device for us common folk but not for a police officer. Lots of companies make things that are not intended for civilians but find their way into commerce.

reefteach

imported post

I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a holster like that because of the small chance the trigger (which is exposed) could be depressed accidently.

longwatch

imported post

I believe the problem the ATF has is that it alledgedly disguises the nature of a pistol and turns the Pistol into a AOW (any other weapon). Another device that this has happened to was a pager holster, that allowed a mini revolver to fire from within the 'pager' housing.