• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Neat LEO interaction!

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Check out today's Packing.org story under LEO encounters in Virginia. A guy had an incredible interaction with a bed-wetting Canadian anti, only to have the VA cop put the anti in his place. Classic!

VAopencarry

imported post

What a twit that guy was...... telling his daughter to lock the door, that hilarious!!!

The LEO could NOT have handled it better!!

jimwyant

imported post

Does anyone know the jurisdiction that responded, and even better, the name of the officer? We are quick to flood LEO's and their agencies with complaints and criticisms when we have negative experiences, and I think it would be nice to do the opposite as well. Even though the officer was only doing his job, since there are many instances of (or bordering on) harassment, maybe we should drop a quick note to the agency involved to thank them for their professional conduct. This should give us significant positive PR, and also reinforce positive behavior on the part of the LE agency. Sometimes it is nice to be thanked simply for doing our job, and IMHO, the same applies to LEO's as well. Thoughts?

TrueBrit

imported post

Maybe I am missing something here.

Why should a cop need to check out a"man with a gun" call at all, in a state that allows open carry?

It is surely no different to a guy walking along Main Street dressed in a top hat and tail coat. Unusual, maybe, but lawful.

Despatchers need only ascertain whether the gun is being brandished, or whether the packer is acting in a suspicious or threatening manner.

Bunch of nonsense, IMHO. All the more reason for all of us to encourage more and more open carry, so that the practice may become perceived as normal once again.

Why man with a gun, any more than man with a car, golf club, hockey stick, or anything else that MIGHT be abused?

We carry handguns for purely defensive purposes, and we cannot be held responsible for the fact that criminals abuse these tools for offensive purposes.

It is surely reprehensible that criminals are allowed to set the tone for society.

Maybe the cops will eventually get fed up with responding to these calls? They surely have better things to do?

TEX1N

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Maybe the cops will eventually get fed up with responding to these calls? They surely have better things to do?
I have heard of other agencies (in the busier parts of town) where they won't respond to a "man with a gun" call, unless there is more to it.

I don't really have a problem with the above situation. Mainly because it was clear that the copshowed upbecause of the guy who made the call, not the guy who wasOCing. It sounded like the OCer could have left the scene and would never have been bothered by the officer.

If the police feel that the need to show up on the "man with a gun" calls solely for the purpose of educating the anti's without any interference to the law-abiding OCer, I don't have a problem with that.

But that’s just my .02 worth. –TEX1N

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here is the deeper problem...

while I am expected to 'know and respect' the laws and customs of the other contries I travel to, it seems that they believe they don't have to do the same when visiting the US. Why should they have to America is a free country you can act and do as you please there.

jimwyant

imported post

jimwyant wrote:
Does anyone know the jurisdiction that responded, and even better, the name of the officer? We are quick to flood LEO's and their agencies with complaints and criticisms when we have negative experiences, and I think it would be nice to do the opposite as well. Even though the officer was only doing his job, since there are many instances of (or bordering on) harassment, maybe we should drop a quick note to the agency involved to thank them for their professional conduct. This should give us significant positive PR, and also reinforce positive behavior on the part of the LE agency. Sometimes it is nice to be thanked simply for doing our job, and IMHO, the same applies to LEO's as well. Thoughts?
I just got a response back from the person who posted this on PDO, and he doesn't remember the agency involved. So much for my idea...

rabbit994

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Maybe I am missing something here.

Why should a cop need to check out a"man with a gun" call at all, in a state that allows open carry?

It is surely no different to a guy walking along Main Street dressed in a top hat and tail coat. Unusual, maybe, but lawful.

Despatchers need only ascertain whether the gun is being brandished, or whether the packer is acting in a suspicious or threatening manner.

Bunch of nonsense, IMHO. All the more reason for all of us to encourage more and more open carry, so that the practice may become perceived as normal once again.

Why man with a gun, any more than man with a car, golf club, hockey stick, or anything else that MIGHT be abused?

We carry handguns for purely defensive purposes, and we cannot be held responsible for the fact that criminals abuse these tools for offensive purposes.

It is surely reprehensible that criminals are allowed to set the tone for society.

I've asked an officer friend this and his response was it's a CYA dispatch. Yes, they are not required to protect you but they don't want the reputation of not caring about public needs. Most of the time, if dispatch indicates it's simply open carrying, officer will drop it to bottom of his to-do list but if it's slow, he might show up. Most of the time, they hope to delay it long enough by the time they get there, person will be gone and all they get to do is show up and go "Not here, next call"

ProguninTN

imported post

Toad wrote:
Here is the deeper problem...

while I am expected to 'know and respect' the laws and customs of the other contries I travel to, it seems that they believe they don't have to do the same when visiting the US. Why should they have to America is a free country you can act and do as you please there.

I agree that visitors to our country should know our laws just as if we were visiting their countries. In this case, we only know that these persons began their trip in Canada. They may have passed through several states with contrasting laws, and they may have failed to learn the laws of each state they went through. (Something I am always aware of)

ProguninTN

D

Desertdoc

imported post

We cant even get some of our residents let alone our visitors to learn our language, why should we expect them to learn our laws. IMPO I think if they cant handle that our laws allow us the right to defend ourselves and the right to carry our guns then they should stay the hell out. Just my 2 cents.

TrueBrit

imported post

Desertdoc wrote:
We cant even get some of our residents let alone our visitors to learn our language, why should we expect them to learn our laws. IMPO I think if they cant handle that our laws allow us the right to defend ourselves and the right to carry our guns then they should stay the hell out. Just my 2 cents.

Right on the money,Doc!

Begad,you are as bloody-minded as I am!Last time I checked, we spoke English here, and have a constitutionally protected right to bear arms.I also believe that this is still the country of Washington, Jefferson and Roosevelt,and not that of Tipu Sultan, Chaka Zulu and Pancho Villa, let alone hoplophobe Canucks!

TrueBrit.

presbyreformed

imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
I've asked an officer friend this and his response was it's a CYA dispatch. Yes, they are not required to protect you but they don't want the reputation of not caring about public needs. Most of the time, if dispatch indicates it's simply open carrying, officer will drop it to bottom of his to-do list but if it's slow, he might show up. Most of the time, they hope to delay it long enough by the time they get there, person will be gone and all they get to do is show up and go "Not here, next call"

I've also asked a couple of LEs about OC and they have given me similar advice. When they get a call from a nervous sheep at a store they have to take the call and question the gun owner. Their advice was identical: Why put yourself through the hassle? Just don't carry open.

Of course, I have to disagree with their advice, but at least it is good to know that most LEs know the law.

presbyreformed

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
presbyreformed,

Just a guess here, but are you a Reformed Presbyterian? If so, what denomination/church do you attend?

I know this is off topic, but..

Yes, I am a very orthodox Reformed Presbyterian. I am in the OPC and members of Bethel Reformed Presbyterian Church in Fredericksburg, VA. I stress biblical inerrancy, piety, and true Reformed doctrine. I'm also a committed Constitutionalist, but not a Theonomist.

Maybe too much information, but if you want to discuss it further, we can exchange email and keep it off this forum.