• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Oh my God, hes got a gun"

Immortal_Ben

imported post

I practice open carry every time I leave my house, with only a couple of exceptions. Onereason is if I am going somewhere that it is illegal to carry. The only other reason is when I go to church. Then I put my concealled carry permit to good use, and carry underneath my suit jacket.

Today while walking into a local grocery store, I heard a man behind me say "Oh my God, hes got a gun." Knowing this was a statement aboutthe Kimber Pro Raptor II riding on my hip, I turned around to acknowledge the man. The couple behind me were African-American, and were dressed for comfort on a fairly warm and sunny day. I was dressed in nice jeans, lace-up cowboy boots, button-up shirt (ironed of course), with my freshly shaven head in all of its radiant glory. Smiling at the couple about 15 feetaway fromme, I removed my sunglasses and replied "Yes, it is legal here in Colorado to carry a firearm in plain sight like this"

The woman had her hand pressed to her chest and stamered "Were from Pittsburgh, and were not used to seeing that kind of thing." The man was standing there literally with his mouth hanging open. I laughed a bit and told them that I had been to downtown Pittsburgh, and wished I had my pistol with me at the time. (I was travelling by bus, and didnt carry a firearm yet)

The man laughed at my statement and seemed to relax a bit so I went on. "Its not terribly COMMON to see someone exercising thier right to carry openly here, but you do see it from time to time. Also, Colorado residents can obtain a permit to carry thier firearm concealled under thier clothing, and that is VERY common." The couple expressed that this was very interesting, and sensing that they were ready to get on about thier shopping, I told them to enjoy their stay with us, to which they smiled and replied "Have a good day" As I walked away, I heard the man say "Well he was very nice"

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Funny though, open carry in Pittsburgh is leagl too, no permit required.

Maybe if you see them again tell them they can go armed about town in Pittsburgh too if they want.

Immortal_Ben

imported post

Doubtful that I see them again, but hopefully they will give enough thought to what happened today to check into it for themselves.

CRCowboy

imported post

Immortal_Ben wrote:
I practice open carry every time I leave my house, with only a couple of exceptions. Onereason is if I am going somewhere that it is illegal to carry. The only other reason is when I go to church. Then I put my concealled carry permit to good use, and carry underneath my suit jacket.

Today while walking into a local grocery store, I heard a man behind me say "Oh my God, hes got a gun." Knowing this was a statement aboutthe Kimber Pro Raptor II riding on my hip, I turned around to acknowledge the man. The couple behind me were African-American, and were dressed for comfort on a fairly warm and sunny day. I was dressed in nice jeans, lace-up cowboy boots, button-up shirt (ironed of course), with my freshly shaven head in all of its radiant glory. Smiling at the couple about 15 feetaway fromme, I removed my sunglasses and replied "Yes, it is legal here in Colorado to carry a firearm in plain sight like this"

The woman had her hand pressed to her chest and stamered "Were from Pittsburgh, and were not used to seeing that kind of thing." The man was standing there literally with his mouth hanging open. I laughed a bit and told them that I had been to downtown Pittsburgh, and wished I had my pistol with me at the time. (I was travelling by bus, and didnt carry a firearm yet)

The man laughed at my statement and seemed to relax a bit so I went on. "Its not terribly COMMON to see someone exercising thier right to carry openly here, but you do see it from time to time. Also, Colorado residents can obtain a permit to carry thier firearm concealled under thier clothing, and that is VERY common." The couple expressed that this was very interesting, and sensing that they were ready to get on about thier shopping, I told them to enjoy their stay with us, to which they smiled and replied "Have a good day" As I walked away, I heard the man say "Well he was very nice"

This is what I would call the PERFECT encounter.

You took the time to ease their tension, educate them, and left them with a different view of "MAN WITH A GGGGUN" All with a smile.

My hat is of to you Very well done

OCinColorado

imported post

This is exactly how I try to treat every encounter I have, negative or positive comments made to me. I try hard not to be snide. Being human though I slip up on occasion.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Immortal_Ben wrote:
Doubtful that I see them again, but hopefully they will give enough thought to what happened today to check into it for themselves.

Very nicely done, and chances are now much higher that they will indeed do just that.

:D