• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Compulsary training for 911 operators? ("Man with a gun!" call)

Sven_1982

imported post

In many states, the right to keep and bear arms has a wider meaning, such as
1) the right to keep and bear arms
2) the right to stand your ground
(modification of the penal code)
3) protection from lawsuits filed by the criminal
if the use of force on your behalf was justifiable
(modification of the penal / civil code)

Number 4) could be compulsary training for 911 operators.

In many cases, whenever an ignorant and coward sheep makes a hysterical phone call (Man with a gun! Man with a gun!), the police roll out and check or even harass law-abiding citizens who committed no crime. Such a call happens especially in cases of open carry.

By law, 911 operators should be trained to know the details of open and concealed carry regulations, and should ask further describtion from the caller on the behavior of the carrier. If no criminal activity is in progress, or there is no probable cause to arrest the carrier, the operator should inform the caller that the carrier is within his/her rights.

VAopencarry

imported post

I think the fact of the matter is a lot jurisdiction's require the police go out to ANY 911 call. Could you imagine the firestorm if a cop was not dispatched and it turned out to be a bad guy and he ends up shooting somebody.

Regarding the story on PDO, judging by the cops reaction when he arrived on the scene, I would say the dispatcher had already ascertained that the 'man with a gun' was not a threat. But had to send someone out anyway.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think its going to take time and lot more people open carrying to get the situation where we would like it to be. Most people just haven't been exposed to positive images of lawful gun use so we can expect some negative reactions for a long time, decades maybe. The good news our police forces and the public are learning and the tide is going our way.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

I had a "man with a gun" called in on me in the Boise area. The 911 dispatcher did exactly as we would expect a well-trained reasonable dispatcher would do. Dispatch asked is he threatening anyone? is he brandishing the weapon? etc.... and then hung up on the caller!

but then the caller called a non-emergency number and I met the WHOLE ENTIRE on-duty Garden City (suburb of boise) PD!

the rest is a long story for some other time, but let's just say they were all bent out of shape that a properly licensed and trained citizen would "dare" to carry. I said NOTHING about the 2nd or rights or the constitution but they went out of their way to demean constitutional types (by name) and clearly showed their stripes that they weren't here to "protect and serve" but rather to "harass and intimidate."

Idaho

ProguninTN

imported post

I think dispatchers educating callers as to the legality of open carry would be a good idea. It saves the 'man or woman with the gun' from being bothered, itconserves Law Enforcement resources for dealing with actual crimes, and it would helpeducate the public.

ProguninTN

Goliath

imported post

It sounds great in theory that you have 911 communications officers, operators work for the phone company and dispatchers work for the cab company, make the decision on what calls they will dispatch on. Don't ever expect it to happen though. In most places their policy prevents it. Secondly, COs are trained from the first day that their job is to be conduit, "nothing begins or ends at the911 center". So what comes in, must go out. I think our focus would be much better spent educating the sheeple then bugging the COs, they have enough to do.

Goliath

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
the rest is a long story for some other time, but let's just say they were all bent out of shape that a properly licensed and trained citizen would "dare" to carry.
Come on, we want to hear it! :D

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
I think dispatchers educating callers as to the legality of open carry would be a good idea. It saves the 'man or woman with the gun' from being bothered, itconserves Law Enforcement resources for dealing with actual crimes, and it would helpeducate the public.

ProguninTN

While I agree with you, it should consist of only this one sentence "Just dispatch an officer out with the comment'another man witha gun call -no report of any law violation or threats'."

The real training needs to go to theofficers.How they respond to the call of a peaceful man with a gun is what matters.

ProguninTN

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
ProguninTN wrote:

ProguninTN

While I agree with you, it should consist of only this one sentence "Just dispatch an officer out with the comment'another man witha gun call -no report of any law violation or threats'."

The real training needs to go to theofficers.How they respond to the call of a peaceful man with a gun is what matters.

That is true. Officers must be aware that open carry is legal, and what actions constitute brandishing, which generally is prohibited. If you don't mind me asking, did you ever experience open carry in your days ?

ProguninTN

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, did you ever experience open carry in your days ?

ProguninTN

My days? How did you know? Yes, I did, and I never even commented upon it. I even had one guy at a traffic stop that seemed a little hurt that I did not take his gun or even mention it. :lol:

In Georgia, no license is required to carry openly in your car.

apjonas

imported post

This is exactly correct. The interface with the OC is the LEO, not an operator. Even if such training were possible, it doesn't help with other ways LEO's and OC meet (observation, third party report, etc.) Start with the critical dyad and work out from there.

ProguninTN wrote:
Malum Prohibitum wrote:
ProguninTN wrote:

ProguninTN

That is true. Officers must be aware that open carry is legal, and what actions constitute brandishing, which generally is prohibited. If you don't mind me asking, did you ever experience open carry in your days ?

ProguninTN