• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA- open carry/owning handgun under age 21?

mercutio545

imported post

I'm 19, and an avid 2nd amendment supporter. I own many shotguns and rifles (Bought a mossberg maverick 88 security on my 18th birthday ;)), and I'm looking into getting a handgun. The gentleman at the range I go to told me that you can't "buy" a handgun if you're under 21, however someone can "give" one to you. And you cant "buy" ammo for it, but it can also be "given" to you. Can anyone verify if this is true or not?

If it is, then my question is this: If I was given a handgun and ammunition, could I open carry it in the same manner as someone who is 21 or over? Thanks!

VApatriot

imported post

This is all true to my understanding of the laws. The best way to obtain a handgun while under 21 is to buy one from a direct family member. It is perfectly legal for a family member over 21to sell a handgun to you so long as you are over 18 and are not disqualified in any other way.

I would say that, if possible, that is the way to go about it. It will work out better come tax time if you list a legal purchase of a firearm from a family member vs. receiving a gun as a giftfrom a friend and then say youpaid that samefriend$700 for helping out with yard work.;) But, if someone really does want to just give you a gun as a gift, then by all means take that option.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Since open carry isn't permitted specifically by statute, it seems to me if you are an adult (over 18) and legal to possess the pistol, there is no legal reason you can't open carry. I believe one of the fellows improperly detained in the famous "Starbucks incident" in NOVA in July, 2004 was 19. His age wasn't an issue. Once the cops realized their mistake and recognized OC was legal, his pistol was returned to him with an apology. All this was reported in the Washington Post article. I'm sure its in the Packing.org archive.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

We had an under 21 year old college student show up to the last VCDL meeting open carrying right in the Moson District government center (FFX County, VA).