• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger P90 for a first handgun?

mercutio545

imported post

What do you guys think about the P90? I was checking out the P90 with the hogue grips, and the P345, and i think that the P90 with the hogue feels a little better in my hands (I know that the gun is pretty bulky, but i have big hands). Anybody have comments or opinions on this handgun?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

A P90 was my first handgun, and it served me well enough for many years. Its built like a tank, supposedly engineered to last through 1,000,000 rounds, very accurate, and the only jam I ever had with it was with a shotshell round, and I think the P90 looks pretty cool in stainless steel. What I didn't like about it was that magazines are a bit expensive and hard to find, the grips are bulky, and finding a decent holster may also be trick. Once in a while I still wish I had mine but I'm not sure I would carry it much but it makes a good house gun.

norahc

imported post

longwatch wrote:
A P90 was my first handgun, and it served me well enough for many years. Its built like a tank, supposedly engineered to last through 1,000,000 rounds, very accurate, and the only jam I ever had with it was with a shotshell round, and I think the P90 looks pretty cool in stainless steel. What I didn't like about it was that magazines are a bit expensive and hard to find, the grips are bulky, and finding a decent holster may also be trick. Once in a while I still wish I had mine but I'm not sure I would carry it much but it makes a good house gun.

The P-85 was my first handgun, and I still have it (250,000 rounds later and not one jam). I agree with what you said about the P90 and feel the same way for the entire Ruger P series. Big, bulky, built like a brick but utterly reliable. They are great house guns.

mercutio545

imported post

So you wouldn't recommend the P90 as a carry weapon eh? Any other less bulky recommendations that I can get new for around $400.00?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

CZ 75, used SIG, used Glock or new Glock for $475, Springfield Armory 1911 or XD, Browning High Power, used Berretta 92/96. I wouldn't write off the Ruger P90 just yet. Try renting one and see for yourself. There is also the P345, its thinner but I'm not sure if it is as reliable as the P90, heard some internet rumors about problems.
There are lots of mechanically good handguns out there in your price range. What kind of action do you want (DA/SA, SA, DAO) and what caliber do you want? My advice, go for a gun that uses the same trigger action for every shot and of the Glock, 1911, or Browning HP types. If you must have a DA/SA action go for a CZ or SIG I think they have the best ergonomics and controls.

mercutio545

imported post

I want to go with a DA/SA, in .45 ACP. One of my friends has a P345 and I like it. I read some reviews online and they said it was pretty decent. And the picatinny mount is a pretty good feature. Thanks for all the help!

jimwyant

imported post

mercutio545 - I don't have any experience with the P90, but my first semi-auto was a P89, which I still own. I know it's had 100,000+ rounds fired through it, since I shot it regularly for years before I added to my arsenal. It is now my demo gun for any newbies that come to the range with me. It has never malfunctioned, and I would put it against any weapon ever made for reliability and accuracy. It isn't pretty, sexy or lightweight, but it is inexpensive and has done its job well for many years. Its primary function now is as one of several "house guns" and I shot it a few weeks ago, just to verify accuracy. Three rounds fired unsupported at 17 yards landed in a 1" group. Verification complete. I have never had a problem finding holsters for it. The last time I carried it (CC), I used a Galco Cop 3 slot open top holster, which I still have somewhere. Galco also makes a FLETCH holster that I would purchase if I had any desire to OC with it - which I don't since it is a 9mm.

zoom6zoom

imported post

If you get up to NoVA, Shooters Paradise has some Ruger rentals. They had 85's, not sure about the 90, but I don't look at the rentals much since I have plenty of my own.

I've carried a number of different guns, right now I am very happy with my Sig 229, it just works perfectly for me (so much so that I have another arriving next week!). There's one post in the classifieds at sigforum with a 9mm for 499. and a .357 for 469 at the moment, you can usually find some good deals there.