• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DCs SORRY SITUATION CONTRASTED WITH FLORIDA

fla2760

imported post

Hi
Here are portions of an email I received from NRA. It speaks volumes on the folly of gun control in effecting violent crime.

WASHINGTON, D.C., ONCE AGAIN
GRAPHICALLY ILLUSTRATES THE FAILURE OF GUN CONTROL

Washington, D.C.'s ban on handguns and on using guns for protection at home exists throughout the entire city. Now, so does the fear of violent crime. In the American city with the most restrictive "gun control" laws, a "crime emergency" has been declared, following 13 murders in only 11 days, as well as a spike in robberies and assaults. D.C.'s police chief, Charles Ramsey, issued the declaration on July 11, the third time he has done so in the last four years.

"It used to be almost 80 percent of criminals, if not higher, were arrested in areas near where they live," Chief Ramsey said. "Now we're starting to see a trend where more and more people are being arrested in places they do not live in." In a recent, highly publicized crime of this type, a British man had his throat cut and his woman companion was nearly raped in D.C.'s affluent, trendy, and usually peaceful Georgetown neighborhood. The main suspects in the murder, both from other neighborhoods, have criminal records, one for armed robbery and a drug charge, the other for drug offense and probation violation, and both are suspected of committing at least two robberies in Georgetown in recent weeks. Even the Washington Mall, a popular location for people touring the city's historic landmarks, has been plagued by crime recently. After a rash of robberies in May, a new string of robberies has begun around the Washington Monument.

D.C.'s delegate to Congress, Eleanor Holmes-Norton (D), has called for increased patrols in the Mall area. But we won't hold our breath waiting for her to join NRA in calling for repeal of the city's anti-gun, anti-self-defense laws. Holmes-Norton is one of the chief obstructionists to that long overdue reform.

Please be sure to contact your U.S. Senators and Representative and ask them to cosponsor and support S. 1082 and H.R. 1288-- the Senate and House versions of the "District of Columbia Personal Protection Act"-- and restore the constitutionally-guaranteed Second Amendment rights of the residents of the District of Columbia. You can call your U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121, or your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121.

Here is Florida

GOVERNOR BUSH NOTES CORRELATION BETWEEN
ARMED, LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS AND FLORIDA'S LOWER CRIME RATE

When queried this week about his state's declining crime rate, Florida Governor Jeb Bush (R) told reporters from the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, "Law abiding citizens that have guns for protection actually probably are part of the reason we have a lower crime rate."

Florida is one of 40 states with Right-to-Carry statutes that allow their law-abiding citizens to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense. In addition, the state last year passed NRA-backed "Castle Doctrine" legislation that allows citizens to "stand their ground" and defend themselves against an attacker in a place where they have a legal right to be.

Florida's crime rate dropped for the 14th straight year and the crime rate is currently at its lowest level since 1971.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

fla2760 wrote:
Hi
Here are portions of an email I received from NRA. It speaks volumes on the folly of gun control in effecting violent crime.

WASHINGTON, D.C., ONCE AGAIN
GRAPHICALLY ILLUSTRATES THE FAILURE OF GUN CONTROL

Washington, D.C.'s ban on handguns and on using guns for protection at home exists throughout the entire city. Now, so does the fear of violent crime. In the American city with the most restrictive "gun control" laws, a "crime emergency" has been declared, following 13 murders in only 11 days, as well as a spike in robberies and assaults. D.C.'s police chief, Charles Ramsey, issued the declaration on July 11, the third time he has done so in the last four years.

"It used to be almost 80 percent of criminals, if not higher, were arrested in areas near where they live," Chief Ramsey said. "Now we're starting to see a trend where more and more people are being arrested in places they do not live in." In a recent, highly publicized crime of this type, a British man had his throat cut and his woman companion was nearly raped in D.C.'s affluent, trendy, and usually peaceful Georgetown neighborhood. The main suspects in the murder, both from other neighborhoods, have criminal records, one for armed robbery and a drug charge, the other for drug offense and probation violation, and both are suspected of committing at least two robberies in Georgetown in recent weeks. Even the Washington Mall, a popular location for people touring the city's historic landmarks, has been plagued by crime recently. After a rash of robberies in May, a new string of robberies has begun around the Washington Monument.

D.C.'s delegate to Congress, Eleanor Holmes-Norton (D), has called for increased patrols in the Mall area. But we won't hold our breath waiting for her to join NRA in calling for repeal of the city's anti-gun, anti-self-defense laws. Holmes-Norton is one of the chief obstructionists to that long overdue reform.

Please be sure to contact your U.S. Senators and Representative and ask them to cosponsor and support S. 1082 and H.R. 1288-- the Senate and House versions of the "District of Columbia Personal Protection Act"-- and restore the constitutionally-guaranteed Second Amendment rights of the residents of the District of Columbia. You can call your U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121, or your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121.

Here is Florida

GOVERNOR BUSH NOTES CORRELATION BETWEEN
ARMED, LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS AND FLORIDA'S LOWER CRIME RATE

When queried this week about his state's declining crime rate, Florida Governor Jeb Bush (R) told reporters from the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, "Law abiding citizens that have guns for protection actually probably are part of the reason we have a lower crime rate."

Florida is one of 40 states with Right-to-Carry statutes that allow their law-abiding citizens to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense. In addition, the state last year passed NRA-backed "Castle Doctrine" legislation that allows citizens to "stand their ground" and defend themselves against an attacker in a place where they have a legal right to be.

Florida's crime rate dropped for the 14th straight year and the crime rate is currently at its lowest level since 1971.

fla2760,

This is a great post. I can't wait until the day I can go to D.C. carrying a gun to protect my family and myself (at least in a concealed manner).

2nd Amendment.........Use it..........Or, lose it!!:X

XD Owner

imported post

This is a great post. I can't wait until the day I can go to D.C. carrying a gun to protect my family and myself (at least in a concealed manner).

I assume you meant legally CC. :)

Nothing, and I mean nothing, except your moral compass is stopping you from carrying in the District.

In fact, during my handgun safety course which I took back in January, one of the students said that whenever he goes into DC, he will be conceal carrying because he said he wants to be able to protect his wife and himself from the criminals over there, and he would rather break the law and live than be killed following the law.

I don't necessarily subscribe to that view, but I certainly do understand it.

Smurfologist

imported post

XD Owner wrote:

Nothing, and I mean nothing, except your moral compass is stopping you from carrying in the District.

In fact, during my handgun safety course which I took back in January, one of the students said that whenever he goes into DC, he will be conceal carrying because he said he wants to be able to protect his wife and himself from the criminals over there, and he would rather break the law and live than be killed following the law.

You assumed right. I honestly don't go to D.C. if I can help it. Sunday, I did have my gun in the trunk of my car when I went through D.C. to go to MD. I made sure I did the speed limit and obeyed the traffic laws. Never again. I just didn't feel like going all the way home. I just feel that at some point, the laws will be changed.

2nd Amendment.........Use it..........Or, lose it!!!!:X

Smurfologist

imported post

XD Owner wrote:

You assumed right. I honestly don't go to D.C. if I can help it. Sunday, I did have my gun in the trunk of my car when I went through D.C. to go to MD. I made sure I did the speed limit and obeyed the traffic laws. Never again. I just didn't feel like going all the way home. I just feel that at some point, the laws will be changed.

2nd Amendment.........Use it..........Or, lose it!!!!:X