• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun at a bar?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Looks like this guy defended himself properly but leaving the scene after the shooting might get him hung up.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060904/NEWS02/609040367

Hoosier shot to death while attempting to rob bar patron
The Indianapolis Star

LAWRENCE, Ind. -- A would-be robber died Saturday after his intended victim pulled out a handgun and shot him five times, authorities said.
Police identified the robber as Ronald Zenor, 29, of Indianapolis, who was taken to Wishard Memorial Hospital, where he died.
The incident occurred about 3:30 a.m. as the Sports Page Lounge, a Lawrence bar, was closing. Eric Conter, 22, of Indianapolis, had left the bar and climbed into his pickup. Zenor reached through the window, tried to pull a necklace off Conter's neck and began choking him, Lawrence police Chief Jack Bailey said.
Conter pulled out his 9mm pistol and shot Zenor, Bailey said.
Conter drove off, but he later contacted Indianapolis police. He also gave a statement to Lawrence detectives. Bailey said Conter, who has a permit for his gun, had a witness who verified his account.
Police believe Zenor was involved in a robbery outside another bar about half an hour before he was shot. That robbery victim's driver's license and credit card were found on Zenor.
While Conter was not arrested, investigators' findings about the shooting will be given to the Marion County prosecutor's office, Bailey said.

combatcarry

imported post

I always carry whenever I'm in a bar (this is in Utah, and Nevada). It is entirely legal in these two states. I never drink a drop (I'm not a drinker), but sometimes end up at a bar to listen to the bands, eat dinner, etc..

Other states should look at Nevada and Utah as examples. I have never heard of a single problem with a person drinking and carrying. I'm sure the media would be all over the story if it were ever to be an issue.

longwatch

imported post

None of the stories I have seen mention anything about alcohol in the system of the shooter. Seems to be a non factor in the circumstances.

VAopencarry

imported post

Well he did call the police so that is in his favor. He may have just panicked and split then realized he should call the police. Or he was drunk and was afraid of the legal consequences either from the shooting or a possible DUI for him. Either way I am glad to see the bad guy got what was deserved.

VApatriot

imported post

A little off the point, but this shows the lack of stopping power that the 9mm offers. The BG was shot FIVE times, and still didn't die until he was at the hospital. My personal feeling is that I would like to have to fire as few rounds as possible in a life and death situation, the fewer rounds in the air the better. I think it would be much better to pack a .45, so the the thug goes down with one or two shots.

Just my one-fiftieth of a dollar.

ProguninTN

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
A little off the point, but this shows the lack of stopping power that the 9mm offers. The BG was shot FIVE times, and still didn't die until he was at the hospital. My personal feeling is that I would like to have to fire as few rounds as possible in a life and death situation, the fewer rounds in the air the better. I think it would be much better to pack a .45, so the the thug goes down with one or two shots.

5 shots, but I wonder if any were COM or head ? I would think 9mm in those areas would have some effect. Perhaps I should try again, but I couldn't hit anything last time I shot a .45 ACP. Until then I'll use9mm and .357 Magnum.

ProguninTN

longwatch

imported post

Hard to judge without any facts as to the effectiveness of the 9mm in this case. Maybe the shooter was using FMJ ammunition or missed vital areas and anyhow the attacker didn't go anywhere after he was hit. Seems like he was shot enough to stop him and kill him eventually. Handguns are wimpy, just about anything out of a handgun is not a guaranteed stopper.

nick89302

imported post

9mm vs. 45ACP

I work in EMS. The attacker may very well have been DRT, but if EMS chooses to work it, then he may not have been "declared" dead until his arrival at the hospital, even if he was pulseless and apneic upon EMS making the scene.

Then again, he may have lived. However, we don't know what he was shot with and where. Making a decision on whether to carry a 9mm or 45ACP based on this single report would be foolish.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

nick89302 wrote:
9mm vs. 45ACP

I work in EMS. The attacker may very well have been DRT, but if EMS chooses to work it, then he may not have been "declared" dead until his arrival at the hospital, even if he was pulseless and apneic upon EMS making the scene.

Then again, he may have lived. However, we don't know what he was shot with and where. Making a decision on whether to carry a 9mm or 45ACP based on this single report would be foolish.
+1

Here's a very informative "conversation" with someone "in the know"................

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/550103904/m/5471026821/p/1

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Last week here in Vegas A man was shot once in the stomach with a 9mm and died at the scene.

Its shot placement, not size of the ammo that matters.

VApatriot wrote:

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Its shot placement, not size of the ammo that matters.
Absolutely correct. Even a .22 will stop a bear (or criminal) with the right shot placement. In any case, even a smaller caliber weapon is better than no weapon when you need one.