• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in OR

geordy7051

imported post

I moved to Bend just a few months ago and am trying to find out whether I can OC or not. I am putting in for my concealed carry permit but if I don't need it then I won't get it. I am probly moving to Redmond in a few weeks but I do go to school at OSU-Cascades campus. I work with several LEO's (Army National Guard) and I will be asking them also.

norahc

imported post

Unfortunately, OR doesn't have a pre-emption law, so each locality can set it's own ordinances about OC. Certain municipalities (Portland comes to mind) have banned OC, and I'm sure there are more.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Warnings about Oregon:

First, I would recommend getting a CHL in the state of Oregon if you intend to open carry. You cannot carry any firearm in any college or school in the state of Oregon, openly or concealed, without a CHL. Violation is a felony. See ORS 166.370

geordy7051

imported post

dors that mean I CAN carry at school as long as I have the permit?

By the way, I talked to the Prinville Police chief and he said that open carry is leagle in deschutes county. I didn't ask about school though. He just kept telling me to get the concealed permit.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

dors that mean I CAN carry at school as long as I have the permit?

That is correct, read ORS 166.370.

It's legal at school, however schools tend to be bastards when it comes to carrying weapons of any kind in schools. I would not open carry in any college in this country except at a public college in Utah at the moment.

Gray2Hairs

imported post

My first venture out into the world OCing was today. My wife and I went shopping at a few stores and I was amazed that not a single person seemed to notice. Many thanks to Lonnie Wilson for providing such great information and assistance and helping me understand more about the law and my rights.

I intend to OC on a regular basis. 'Bout time I lost my virginity :p

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Gray2Hairs wrote:
My first venture out into the world OCing was today. My wife and I went shopping at a few stores and I was amazed that not a single person seemed to notice. Many thanks to Lonnie Wilson for providing such great information and assistance and helping me understand more about the law and my rights.

I intend to OC on a regular basis. 'Bout time I lost my virginity :p

Just like the real thing.Years of rumors, myths and stories and when you finally do it it's like "why did I wait for so long?!":banghead:

:lol:

LoveMyCountry

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
It's legal at school, however schools tend to be bastards when it comes to carrying weapons of any kind in schools.
What can the bastards do? :shock:

Jackal

imported post

I think that Oregon is alot looser than Washington on the school thing. In washington it is not specifically illeagle, but the school would have to have a clause in Washington's Administrative Code. It still isn't criminal, but it is a civil infraction, like a speeding ticket, meaning that it is a fine.

Oregon might be the same way, so worse case (leagally) you could be fined. The school is a private organization though so they can enact anything that they wish. Just like a resturant could put up a "no weapons" sign; you have to respect their wishes or you could get slammed for trespassing. The school could suspend or expel youand that would be perfectly acceptable because I'm sure that it is written in their charter or the student code of conduct.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Jackal wrote:
I think that Oregon is alot looser than Washington on the school thing. In washington it is not specifically illeagle, but the school would have to have a clause in Washington's Administrative Code. It still isn't criminal, but it is a civil infraction, like a speeding ticket, meaning that it is a fine.

Oregon might be the same way, so worse case (leagally) you could be fined. The school is a private organization though so they can enact anything that they wish. Just like a resturant could put up a "no weapons" sign; you have to respect their wishes or you could get slammed for trespassing. The school could suspend or expel youand that would be perfectly acceptable because I'm sure that it is written in their charter or the student code of conduct.
Oregon has preeemption for concealed carry (but not open carry). Does that change your analysis?

gregma

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Lonnie Wilson wrote:
It's legal at school, however schools tend to be bastards when it comes to carrying weapons of any kind in schools.
What can the bastards do? :shock:
They can institute a school "policy" forbidding handguns from the premises. Doesn't make it illegal, but if they catch you they can do two things...

#1 - Ask you to leave. If you do not, then you are trespassing and you can be arrested.

#2 - Ban you from ever returning to the campus. Again, if you return you are trespassing and you can be arrested.

Thanks!
Greg

gregma

imported post

Jackal wrote:
Just like a resturant could put up a "no weapons" sign; you have to respect their wishes or you could get slammed for trespassing.
One thing. You can not be arrested for trespassing solely for breaking one of their "rules". First they must ask you to leave the premises. If you refuse, then you are trespassing.

Also, unless they "ban" you, or give you notice that if you ever return you will be charged with trespassing, you can go back at a later date and still carry. If they "catch" you again, you are still not commiting a trespass.

Thanks!
Greg

Jackal

imported post

Well I wasn't saying that you would istantly be arrested or anything. Of course they would have to ask you to leave and you would have to refuse.

I don't think that the preemption changes anything. The WA preemption is good though. I still think OR is looser because I don't think that you guys have fines in the administrative code for school weapons violations. I could be wrong though, but I'm just posing the point to be checked into. I know I checked into it for WA because I go to school here and it would be worth checking for OR too.