• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thigh Holster

mercutio545

imported post

Whenever I'm driving for long periods of time, I wear my thigh rig. Hip holsters are such a pain when you're sitting down/driving/being somewhat active.

docwatson

kurtmax_0

imported post

I was thinking of picking up a thigh holster as well, for when I'm driving alot. My standard holster grinds against the seatbelt fastener the whole ride and drives me insane.

AbNo

imported post

If you can, just toss it in the front seat, or on the dash.

Mounting a holster is also an option. I've though about putting one right next to the t-case lever in my Cherokee.

02063979jsr3oj3.jpg

That's not mine, and not even the right year, but it's close enough...

Drill two small holes, put screws in there with web-belt in between, and you should be good to go! :celebrate

crtbc

imported post

I mainly carry when I am out in the desert, hiking, hunting (looking for herpetofauna not killing) and offroading so I chose a thigh holster since I do alot of driving with my 1911 and the thigh holster is great for me in those situations

Hadley

imported post

:) Hi all ! Working in armed security about 60 hours a week my right hip was starting to hurt. I figured out it was mostly from wearing a hip holster and driving a jeep cherokee on duty. The duty holsters ride out pretty far from the body and the constant pushing against the console was driving me nuts. So I recently bought a Safariland thigh rig for a good piece of change. It has made a great difference in my comfort. First couple of days take some getting used to but after that I dont notice it.

I find that I do get more wide eyed looks than usual with it on. It's amazing how many people ask me " is it real." Also the little gang banger wannabe's in monroe cty. and Mt. Poconpo PA. notice right away that I'm armed and usually knock it off once they see me. The drop rig also makes more room on my bat belt. Two sets of cuffs,baton,o.c., radio,cell phone, key keeper, doublemag case stingerflashlight , latex glove pouch and finally leatherman tool.

Particle

imported post

norahc, I'm guessing that you've watched the constitution class video thing? If not, you've done an excellent job of figuring out the proper context for all the various aspects such as rights, property, etc for yourself! Great to hear from such an informed person. Now if only we could force the general public into not being sheep.

Legba

imported post

I, for one, generally like the "tactical" thigh holsters for ease/speed of access. Especially nice when you're wearing a coat and don't have a permit... That said, I don't use mine a lot. The last time I did was working security at a biker party. Bad scene and I unloaded in anticipation of trouble. Sure enough, a drunk guy (friend of mine) grabbed my piece. I held up the magazine and said that I didn't think that the gun would do him much good by itself. He laughed and gave the gun back, but it might have been ugly otherwise. Anyway - the holsters themselves are OK.

-ljp

Legba

imported post

I bet even our man Henry T. has some "reckless youth" war stories.

-ljp

dng

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
Shoulda kept that one to yourself... now HankT's never gonna let you live it down.
Yeah, I'm afraid he'll be here soon to call you on that one. :)

Basic Guy

imported post

[align=left]I have had some thoughts on thigh holsters – some of which have been expressed here.

I like them for the accessibility and comfort when driving and also the ability to be OC with a long jacket. But of course there is the “Mall Ninja” effect I would prefer to avoid.

I also think one’s physical appearance definitely affects the perception others develop of you. I am in my late 40’s but as I am still with the reserves I keep a military haircut and stay physically fit (much better than Army PFT requirements). I get the feeling people peg me for LEO or something similar when I am OC’ing.

I also vary my gun and rig for the situation. If I expect to be in more urban/crowded environments I will often opt for a Single Action Army type handgun in an engraved, leather cross draw rig. On road trips I will go with a full sized Para Ord or HK USP in a cross draw holster.

I have been thinking that a thigh holster would be good for road trips as well.

I have also been thinking of another similar option – the 1912 cavalry holster made for the 1911 Colt. This is similar to the US GI holster issued from WWI through Vietnam for the 1911/1911-A1 pistol but it hangs down another 5 or 6 inches. It is leather with a full flap which makes it look more traditional and less tactical. For some reason I feel that leather holsters give a somewhat better impression as they don’t look cheap or ‘toy-like’. Just my opinion – comments are welcome.[/align]

Mjolnir

imported post

Legba wrote:
I, for one, generally like the "tactical" thigh holsters for ease/speed of access. Especially nice when you're wearing a coat and don't have a permit... That said, I don't use mine a lot. The last time I did was working security at a biker party. Bad scene and I unloaded in anticipation of trouble. Sure enough, a drunk guy (friend of mine) grabbed my piece. I held up the magazine and said that I didn't think that the gun would do him much good by itself. He laughed and gave the gun back, but it might have been ugly otherwise. Anyway - the holsters themselves are OK.

-ljp

You have got to be kidding me, you actually unloaded & removed your mag cuz you anticipated trouble :shock::banghead::banghead:

Then you allowed a drunken guy to get close enough to you to disarm you :what::uhoh::uhoh:

Sounds like a major training and mindset issue to me.

Mjolnir

imported post

Did you know that thigh holsters were orginally designed for the military to sit just a tad lower than the body armor opening up a space on the web gear & giving the trooper access to his PDW when wearing a ton of gear.

They are actually slower than belt holsters to draw & index on target from than belt holsters.

They can be a major PITA running (hence the better ones have a leg shroud and 2 straps) and when getting in and out of vehicles all day they tend to get hung up 9at least my 6004 alwyas did)

However, they "look" cool and "gun slinger" ish & are actually easer for a gun grabber to access & snag.

Mjolnir

imported post

Here's a picture of my drop rig. Note that it does not have the 2nd leg strap our leg shroud as it's one of the earliest 6004's sold & it was used and abused around the world & stood up to anything I asked of it.

IMG_1527.jpg

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

expvideo wrote:
How about as a fashion statement? Here's a look at the GQ page of the future

IMG00031-1.jpg

I agree with those who have said that thigh rigs were designed specifically for keeping the weapon below body armor and gear, and that they leave the weapon more susceptible to being taken. With that being said, I have to admit that the holster in that pic looks very appropriate, as though it's just another part of the outfit.

I am planning on getting a thigh holster eventually, and will be using it in situations where I am wearing a backpack, or a long/untucked shirt or jacket. I like the idea of wearing a coat in the winter, with a gun openly displayed below the coat, and aBUG under the coat. :)

kurtmax_0

imported post

Another advantage of a thigh holster would be if you were OCing with an untucked shirt, and don't have a ccw. That way it doesn't accidently get concealed.

Legba

imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
Legba wrote:

-ljp

You have got to be kidding me, you actually unloaded & removed your mag cuz you anticipated trouble :shock::banghead::banghead:

Then you allowed a drunken guy to get close enough to you to disarm you :what::uhoh::uhoh:

It was a biker party, with a couple of hundred people in attendance, so there was no avoiding people in proximity. The only "issue" would have been if I had left a loaded gun in a place (even on my person) in such a manner that someone might have snatched it. That didn't happen. I - correctly, you will note - anticipated that something like that might happen, and took appropriate preventative measures. As it happened, it was a failed effort at humor on the drunk guy's part, but it might have been otherwise. Hardly a "major training and mindset issue" at all. I had the magazine loaded and at ready at hand for my own use, while securing it from a "grabber" at the same time. I think I handled the situation as well as it could have been, under the circumstances.

I'd choose a different manner of carrying if I were in the same situation again. I had to work with the tools that were available at the time, and the available thigh rig was not ideal in this instance. I still like them for other uses - hunting, range, etc. In any case, this was nearly 20 years ago and there wasn't the real or apparent need for armed security that there is now. I was mostly guarding music gear backstage - valuable enough, but not something likely to have been the object of an armed assault.

-ljp

Eeyore

imported post

I bought an entry-level thigh rig when I was deployed to the sandbox. I wore my Beretta in it every day--walking, sitting, and riding. I bought a cheap one and was always having to fiddle with it. Here's my observations:

1. A thigh holster is subjected to a lot more motion than a belt holster. As you walk, the back-and-forth motion will impose forces on the mass of the holster/gun. Also, when you sit down, gravity will try to pull the weapon around to the back of your thigh. These two factorscreate several issues discussed below. And (this should be obvious) some kind of retention system is essential.

2. Spend the extra $$ to get the ones with a large molded platform and buckles that won't let the thigh straps loosen (Blackhawk, Safariland). The platform/straps are the only things keeping the gun on the side of your thigh where it belongs. Once they loosen, it's a serious pain--the holster and gun flap around while walking, and when you sit down your gun heads for the back. Avoid elastic thigh straps at all costs--they're useless.

3. Some rigs have two suspension straps (between the holster and your belt) forming a V or Y, which probably helps keep the rig where it belongs.

4. The shape of your thigh has a big impact on how well the rig fits. Heavier guys may find that their thighs are much wider at the top than the bottom.Gravity will pullthe thigh rig lower where it will become looser, and the flapping begins. Then you tighten the thigh straps to compensate. Then you sit down and it wads up your pant leg and rips all the hair off your thigh. Some people may find that tightening the thigh straps sufficiently to keep the weapon in place makes the whole thing too uncomfortable.

5. If you try to lessen the above problemsby putting a lot of tension on the suspension strap(s), your gun belt will tend to dig into your hip on the opposite side. As a skinny guy, this was my biggest gripe.

6. The butt of your weapon will constantly bang into chairs, car consoles, etc. when you sit down. See item #1.

7.A quick-disconnect on the hanger strap(s) is very nice to have, so you can remove the holster but not your entire belt. Remember, you'll have to undo the straps to "do your business."

Mjolnir

imported post

Legba wrote:
Mjolnir wrote:
Legba wrote:

-ljp

It was a biker party, with a couple of hundred people in attendance, so there was no avoiding people in proximity. The only "issue" would have been if I had left a loaded gun in a place (even on my person) in such a manner that someone might have snatched it. That didn't happen. I - correctly, you will note - anticipated that something like that might happen, and took appropriate preventative measures. As it happened, it was a failed effort at humor on the drunk guy's part, but it might have been otherwise. Hardly a "major training and mindset issue" at all. I had the magazine loaded and at ready at hand for my own use, while securing it from a "grabber" at the same time. I think I handled the situation as well as it could have been, under the circumstances.

I'd choose a different manner of carrying if I were in the same situation again. I had to work with the tools that were available at the time, and the available thigh rig was not ideal in this instance. I still like them for other uses - hunting, range, etc. In any case, this was nearly 20 years ago and there wasn't the real or apparent need for armed security that there is now. I was mostly guarding music gear backstage - valuable enough, but not something likely to have been the object of an armed assault.

-ljp
I am sorry you don't see it as a training issue, but anytime anybody takes a weapon away from you it's a major problem especially if you think you done right be unloading it thinking it will be taken away from you.

Why even cary a weapon if it's unloaded, ya don't have time to draw & load it if it's needed & that's a doccumented fact.

However, Barny Fife always carried an unloaded weapon.............................

Back in the early 80's I was providing armed security for a yearly HUGE drunken biker fest with several thousand bikers & I was armed with a loaded S&W 66 & yes there were drunken people everywhere and in close proximity to me, but nobody ever took my weapon away or even tried.

Mindset and tactics along with training are what allows ya to go home at the end of the day.

Have you ever thought about attendding any Front Sight, Thunder Ranch or Tactical Response courses or any of the other courses of this style. If not they are superb classes & well worth the money spent.