• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Edged weapons

jimwyant

imported post

In the context of a back-up a primary weapon, or perhaps as an alternate when one is required to disarm, are there any suggestions out there as to quality defensive knives, available training, etc.?

ProguninTN

imported post

I have carried knives from Puma, Smith & Wesson, and Benchmade. The knives actually come in handy. I have not needed them as weapons, but have used them for utility purposes many times.

ProguninTN

reefteach

imported post

I'll seldom be seen w/o 2 methods of defense. Pepper spray is reliable and non lethal, as well as a Surefire light. Tazer type devices are available, butI don't have experience w/ them. Knife is easy to stick in the pocket and I always find it handy opening stuff and cutting things.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think you are asking for a religious war on the order of 9mm vs .45 with this one. I believe knife training is worthwhile but watch out for so called knife fighting experts. There are probably very few experts in the world who have been in actual defensive and legal knife fights. That said the techniques that I subscribe to are from the USMC LINE and MCMAP training and what I've picked up from other martial arts training. There is probably better stuff out there but its simple and its what I know. I am intrigued by some of the Kerambit techniques, they seem to offer ways to use that kind of knife in a less lethal way. A Krav Maga studio would be a good way to get spun up on the basics or look for some videos. A couple of books I like are Cold Steel by John Styers and The Complete Book of Knife Fighting by William L. Cassidy.
Also check out www.themartialist.com and http://www.hockscqc.com/articledownloads/tacticalfolder.pdf
As for steel, I like Spyderco's Endura and Benchmades Griptillian. One of these days I'd like to OC my KA-BAR but thats a little different topic.

ArmedAmerican

imported post

I have been carrying a Spyderco Chinnok II for a few weeks now. I am very impressed with it. When I can't carry a firearm, it beats nothing. Training is important if carrying a knife.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I've read in some places it pays to carry an expensive knife. The reason being with a cheap knife the cop will charge you, with and expensive knife the cop will 'confiscate' it and let you off with a warning. This assumes knife carry isn't legal.

possumboy

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I've read in some places it pays to carry an expensive knife. The reason being with a cheap knife the cop will charge you, with and expensive knife the cop will 'confiscate' it and let you off with a warning. This assumes knife carry isn't legal.

I have been taking FMA (Filipino Martial Art) for years. There has been many conversation about the quality of weapons - and quantity.

It is generally accepted that the cheaper the better. I will admit many of my trainers useknives in combat situations. It is a weapon. If you use a knife to defend yourself, do not expect to recover it. In knife fighting, it is expected that if you have another knife on you, leave the one that you just used in the body and move on. No blood to cause slipping, not dulled from bone, and you do not have to wretch it free.

There is a training site in NoVA that is run by a ex-Navy Seal. He has been feature for knife fighting in many "defense" magazines. My favoritesaying from him is it is best to bring a gun to a knife fight - as long as you are the one with the gun. The training also includes hand to hand and ground fighting. I've been training since I lived in MD and didn't have basic human rights.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I don't carry cheap knives, but I don't carry $500 custom knives either. I have quite a few folders in the $70-150 range and always carry one that's sharp, clean (not full of lint and gunk) and that I've handled enough to be very comfortable using. Mostly knives from Spyderco and Cold Steel. (A Cold Steel Voyager with tanto point as I write.) I also carry a more utility oriented knife such as a good Swiss Army model for opening boxes, envelopes, etc. Truly I use the scissors, magnifying glass and small blade more than anything else.

My Spyderco Civilian is a remarkable knife, but a bit specialized.

Regarding pepper spray, I was required to take a CCW class for my MN CCW license and the instructor advised against carrying a "less than lethal" weapon, e.g. pepper spray. The reason was if you shoot a person and you have a less lethal weapon available a prosecutor may try to make it look like you used more force than you needed to stop a threat. I'm not sure I agree entirely with that, but I understand the point and it's worth some thought. Knives are different, of course, because they're lethal when used correctly.

Goliath

imported post

I like the Mule by KaBar. Is a great folder, very sharp and tough. It is also priced right.I am a dealer for KaBar and Cold Steel, so maybe my view is schewed. I have always carried a knife of some sort or other since I was about 8 and my dad bought me my first Barlow knife. I see some very nice knives in the $300 plus range and can't for the life of me find a good reason to carry one on me every day.

Goliath

Guncrazy

imported post

I used to carry a Cold Steel Gunsite II folder, with a 5" blade, tanto point, partially serrated. However, I moved to Tennessee, where carrying a blade over 4" long is illegal.

Now, I carry a Ka-Bar TDI-- 3 11/16" blade, tanto point, partially serrated. The blade is fixed and angled, and draws from its sheath much as a gun would.

I actually like the TDI better than any of the folders I've carried, since I wouldn't need to "work" it once it was drawn.

Attachments

• tdi.JPG
    tdi.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 288

fatalhubris

imported post

The tdi’s are nice knives all around. I have one of the original’s my self. My only complaints about it are the sheath sucks and in a reverse grip it feels a little hinkey.

The sheath is an easy fix just get a hold of the guys at survivalsheth.com. They also do some nice carry rigs if you favor a shoulder rig set up.

I have looked at the newermodels and all in all they are a lot better productthan the original in all respects.

Pardon me while I do a little soap box ranting for a moment. What’s with all the blade length limitations? Seriously it baffles me why legislators think that because a knife is over a given length it is in more need of legislation. Get freaking real folks what’s next I cant carry my Kimber because it shoots 45 cal.? If this were a restriction on a firearm caliber it would read that I can only carry a 22. In the :cuss:city limits? What kind of mentally deficient thinking is this? This is yet another fine example of banning the implement and not the crime. Ok whew I am done. Sorry had to throw that one out there. Have fun with it fellas.

Wooley

imported post

Cold Steel makes great knives. I've had a couple and liked them. Benchmades are good too and if you want to spend the money find a Strider knife. Kinda pricey, but awesome knifes.

Sure-Fire lights with a crenelated bezel (E2D,6Pd) are good dual purpose backups.

If you want to use a knife as a back up you have to be committed and know its going to be very messy and very personal.If its knife on knife you should also expect to be cut, but know where you can get it with minimal damage and try to use those parts as a blocker.

A knife is actually a great psychological deterent as many people are more fearful of being cut than shot, even though the likelyhood oflife threatening damage is much moreprevalent with a firearm.

tarzan1888

imported post

I do a lot of work in the field and when I do I have, as a backup and as a tool a Rambo III knife. Like the one in the photo. Mine did not come on a plaque and it came with a scabbard.

It is 1/4 inch surgical stainless steel and keeps and excellent edge on its 12 inch blade. It works great in dense forrest's and jungles for saplings and vines.

It is razor sharp and I have the scars on my legs to prove what it can do when it meets flesh.

After I had been carrying it for a couple of years I cracked the handle. I made a replacement out of an old hickory pick handle and it is extremely hard and durable. I also made it fit my hand better than the original.

Attachments

• dad's knife.jpg
    dad's knife.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 207

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

This is what I carry, all though I have a black blade..

image.php

It's a Microtech Scarab Tactical Double-Edged, automatic out-the-front knife.