• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carried

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

This was originally posted here http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752&highlight=sears

But I thought you all might get a kick out of it if I cut and pastedit here.

My weedeater broke several months ago, and I have a high bank of grass that I cannot mow for fear of flipping my riding mower. My beautiful wife has been after me for some time to purchase another weedeater. I knew that Sears[/b] was running a sale because I had seen the weedeaters when I purchased some automotive tools the previous weekend (while carrying concealed).

This was the Sears[/b] at Shannon Mall in Union City. I know for a fact that they do not allow open carry in this mall. Standard procedure is to call the police, dog the customer until the police arrive, then approach with the police and ask the person to put the firearm in the vehicle in a parking lot with a pretty high rate of vehicle break-ins, or leave. Any refusal would of course get you arrested.

I was wearing my .45 in a Bianchi Black Widow tan leather holster. I walked into Sears[/b] and began looking at the weedeaters, pleased to notice that the sale was still on. A sales associate approached, saw the gun (very obviously stared at it) - "Sir, may I help . . . " his voice trailed off as he began taking steps away from me, walking backward toward a corner where he could walk around it and disappear. His eyes remained locked on the firearm.

I smiled, acted naturally as if I was not carrying, and said, "Sure, I would like to know what this one," I pointed to the one I was looking at, "will not do that the more expensive models will do."

He was telling me as I asked the question that he had some other customers to help and was nervously pointing around the corner, still staring at the gun.

Now, having shopped in this location many times, I knew there was less than ten feet of floor space around this particular corner and it was unlikely to hold a plethora of customers that I could neither see nor hear. Nor was a sales associate very likely to approach me and ask me if I needed assistance while he was helping invisible customers around the corner, only to immediately announce that he would not help me if I did, in fact, need assistance.

icon_biggrin.gif

I put on my biggest grin and politely said, "Sure," while nodding.

I figured he was going to look for a telephone.

He took one more step backward. At this point his wide, staring eyes had moved from the gun to my smiling face. His demeanor changed immediately, and he stepped toward me and readily answered my question with a detailed explanation of the differences between models.

I had a couple more questions, which he answered knowledgeably and politely, and I purchased a weedeater.

Once his demeanor changed, he became the most polite and helpful employee I have ever encountered at that particular store.

The other "customers" never appeared, nor were they mentioned again by him or me. (I was half waiting for some irritated customers to appear, wondering why this man wasn't helping them for fifteen minutes or so).

He never looked at the gun again, nor did he mention it.

Maja Jehiada Mafisa

imported post

Open carry

I dont get it. Is it that you all get a big kick out of seeing the reaction of some people? Is it an ego thing? Look at me I am carring a gun.

What is the deal? I for myself conceal so nobody knows not even my wife most of the time.:?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Maja Jehiada Mafisa wrote:
Open carry

I dont get it. Is it that you all get a big kick out of seeing the reaction of some people? Is it an ego thing? Look at me I am carring a gun.

What is the deal? I for myself conceal so nobody knows not even my wife most of the time.:?

Welcome to OCDO!

Hunt up a few threads on the subject of "why?"

Mostly you'll findOC'ers are primarily interested in the political or social activism side of things. That is to say they OC so people can see that a citizen can be armed and death and destruction don't automatically occur.

Othersjust liketo exercise the freedom. OnethatI know personally refuses to register with the gov't or get permission by way of a CCW permit, so OC is his only option.

A few orient on the concept that a criminal will leave you alone if he sees you're armed. (We've a few encounters that bear this out.)

Any way you slice it, they're all working on promoting 2A rights. Its great to actually be able to DO something every day besides send money to the NRA, et al. Myself, I can't stand just watching other people act with my money, and maybe send a few letters to the editor, just vote, or fax my Reps and Senators. Every single day I deliberately go out and DO something about it.

Myself, I've made quite a few people aware and apparently comfortable. One young woman told me she was going to download the CCW application later that afternoon. She wasn't even aware of "shall issue," until seeing my OC'd firearm, decided to ask meabout it.

I've had far more positive encounters than negative. I'm convinced the supposed terror of The People over guns is media-hype. I'm sure there are plenty who do, but I don't think it is nearly as pervasive as we've thought.

Welcome to OCDO. We've some wise ones here. And some who are (cough, ahem) still working on it. Learn what you can. Feel free to contribute your own wisdom.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Please forgive the less than cordial replies of my bretheren. Sometimes they're a little quick to argue. :)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Open carry

Uhh then why are you on this forum? You realize this website is called OPENCARRY.ORG, right? The reason he told this story is so others can relate with their own stories. It's called conversation...ya know, being social? It's what you do on a forum. Anyway it's pretty sad that you don't let your wife know that you're carrying. I always let my g/f and/or family know if I'm armed while we're out. They like to be aware of their surroundings, and know what their options are if they have to react. Your wife must be utterly oblivious, huh?

Anyway back to the ORIGINAL POST (aka Malum's story). You said you were well aware of the mall's no gun policy, and you openly carried there anyway, right? Were you looking for a reaction or just ignoring their policy? Keep in mind I'm not trying to accuse you of being malicious, but I'm having a hard time understand why you did what you did. It IS good to hear that the employee warmed up to you. A smile can go a long way.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think the biggest lesson in the original post is that a friendly attitude and a smile go a long ways towards relieving nervousness.

FogRider

imported post

Open carry

It's not about ego, but I do want everyone to know I have a gun. Criminals have a chance to re-evaluate their decision to attack me, and other people get a chance to get a little education on gun rights. I have nothing to hide, and that includes my gun.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Open carry

Oh, my. Here we go again:uhoh:( as I'm duckin for cover while all the "friendly" :lol:replies to this post )