• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone know the status of the VCDL Action Item concerning the 2006 Republican Roundup?

TEX1N

imported post

Dose anyone know the status of the Republican Roundup with concern to it being held at the anti-gun Innsbrook Pavilion?

A little history:
In the VCDL alert on August 7th, Philip covered the issue of the 2006 Republican Roundup being held at the very anti-gun Innsbrook Pavilion on October 14th. It had been held there last year, which is when this first became an issue. Philip asked everyone to e-mail Congressman Eric Cantor (R-VA-7th District), because he is the sponsor for the event since it’s in his district. He also said that the VCDL might picket the event if nothing is done between now and then to fix the situation.
On this issue I e-mailed Sen Allen, Rep Cantor, Rep Wolf (my representative), VA Sen Potts (my VA senator), and VA Del Lingamfelter (my VA delegate). I have not heard back from ANY of them.

My main question is: does anyone know what the status is on this event? Is the VCDL still planning on picketing? Has anyone else heard back from Cantor concerning this problem?

If anyone would like a copy of the VCDL Alert for 8/7/2006, PM me and I will forward it to you (it is not posted on the VCDL website).

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I have been wondering the same thing. Thanks for following up on this.

Incidentally, I have open carriedat Innsbrookwhile walking my dog (along with a friend who also was open carrying) several times. I live only a couple miles away. I have never seen any postings or signs indicating that the private property owners forbid this, and I have read the signs on the trails.If asked to leave, I would certainly do so immediately. There are several nice lakes and walking trails surrounding the lakes. I have only open carried there during non-business hours (during business hours I would think it much more likely someone would take issue) because I work M-F 7:00 - 4:00 p.m.

TEX1N

imported post

On Thursday I talked to Philip Van Cleave (the VCDL President) about this. He told me that he isstill trying to figure out who knew what about Innsbrook Pavilion being anti-gun.

Philip said that he wanted to give the people in charge a fair chance to fix the problem. He was also not sure thatRep Cantor even found out about the previous years problems. Because of this we (the VCDL) will probably not picket this year.

However, now everyone who's anyone knows about the problems with Innsbrook Pavilion. So there is NO EXCUSE for next year!

XD Owner

imported post

On October 9, VCDL Action Alert said:

1. Don't bother attending the Republican Roundup in Richmond on Saturday

I have learned that Representative Eric Cantor's people, under pressure from VCDL, contacted anti-freedom Innsbrook Pavilion to see if Innsbrook would waive their 'no guns' policy for the Republican Roundup this weekend.

Innsbrook, clearly distrustful of those who rent or use their property, wouldn't waive it, not even for permit holders carrying concealed. (Great company, huh?)

Of course it didn't help that the request was coming at the last moment, long after the Cantor Campaign had paid for the use of the Pavilion.

VCDL was offered a booth at the Roundup, a nice gesture, but one that I flatly turned down. I could not in clear conscience ask VCDL volunteers to give up their basic human right of self-defense just to work a VCDL booth at some political event.

The Republicans are hiding behind their decision to hold the event at this anti-freedom location because the price and location are right (not to mention that they can serve alcohol there).

A quote from Gone With the Wind comes to mind, "Frankly, I don't give a damn."

Next year if the Republicans (the self proclaimed party of the 2nd Amendment) hold their Roundup at this anti-2nd Amendment, anti-freedom location, don't be surprised if I call on you to picket the event. I have already researched the area and know exactly where we can legally stand with our signs.

I am giving Eric Cantor the benefit of the doubt that he personally did not know of the anti-freedom policies of Innsbrook. The benefit of the doubt will be gone for future Roundups held at the Innsbrook Pavilion.

I want to thank Sheriff Wade of Henrico, who is a Republican, but who nonetheless was honorable enough to help me identify just where we could stand if we picket the location next year. He knows that VCDL does not want to violate any laws, including trespassing onto private property. Sheriff Wade was not happy about the thought of us picketing the event, but he was professional enough to not let his personal and political feelings get in the way of doing his job. It was Sheriff Wade who ultimately convinced the Cantor campaign to ask Innsbrook about waiving the 'no guns' policy.

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).
VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to
defending the human rights of all Virginians. The membership considers the
Right to Keep and Bear Arms to be an essential human right.

VCDL web page:
http://www.vcdl.org
IMPORTANT: It is our intention to honor all "remove" requests promptly.
To unsubscribe from this list, or change the email address where you receive messages, please go to
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?member_id=2825415&user_secret=f9d38ed0