Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: HOT: VCDL President to speak to Newport News City Council 12 SEP 06

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    If you can make this, please attend - even if you live in North Carolina!

    FROM VCDL ALERT [Philip van Cleave] TONIGHT:

    For those who can come to show support, the Newport News City Council
    meeting is tomorrow, Tuesday, September 12th.

    I will be representing VCDL and will address the NN City Council
    about the NN Police department's long fingerprinting delays for CHP
    applicants and also the 'no guns' signs in NN libraries.

    The meeting starts at 7:30 PM. I plan on being there around 7 PM
    with 'Guns Save Lives' badges for those who don't have one.

    Here is the location:

    2400 Washington Ave.
    Newport News, VA 23607

    City Council Chambers are behind the City Hall building.

    As is customary for VCDL, we will go to a local restaurant after the meeting.


  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    HOT NEWS STORY - maybe this controversey will help us kill fingerprinting

    Story omits the fact that only 26% of localities actual exercise their optional authority to fingerprint - not even Richmond, Fairfax County, or VA Beach fingerprint.

    http://tinyurl.com/gbk9f

    Gun rights group leaders to decry permit delays
    BY SETH FREEDLAND
    247-7840
    September 12, 2006
    NEWPORT NEWS -- Leaders from one of Virginia's largest gun rights groups plan to attend tonight's City Council meeting to condemn what they see as delays with concealed handgun permits in Newport News.

    Virginia law allows a maximum waiting period of 45 days after a person has applied for a gun. Some permits are issued as much as 30 days later than that, according to the Northern Virginia-based Virginia Citizens Defense League.

    At issue is a 2004 attorney general's opinion that makes applicants' paperwork incomplete without fingerprinting.

    The delays in Newport News aren't coming from those seeking guns but from the Newport News Police Department, which oversees fingerprinting, according to league President Philip Van Cleave, who wrote to city officials.

    League officials have heard that police have told gun applicants that the department lacks funding for someone to do the fingerprinting.

    The problem could be eased if the city accepted fingerprint cards from other police departments, Van Cleave said. The city has no law against that, said Len Ringler, an assistant city attorney.




  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Va Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    40

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    HOT NEWS STORY - maybe this controversey will help us kill fingerprinting

    Story omits the fact that only 26% of localities actual exercise their optional authority to fingerprint - not even Richmond, Fairfax County, or VA Beach fingerprint.

    http://tinyurl.com/gbk9f

    Gun rights group leaders to decry permit delays
    BY SETH FREEDLAND
    247-7840
    September 12, 2006
    NEWPORT NEWS -- Leaders from one of Virginia's largest gun rights groups plan to attend tonight's City Council meeting to condemn what they see as delays with concealed handgun permits in Newport News.

    Virginia law allows a maximum waiting period of 45 days after a person has applied for a gun. Some permits are issued as much as 30 days later than that, according to the Northern Virginia-based Virginia Citizens Defense League.

    At issue is a 2004 attorney general's opinion that makes applicants' paperwork incomplete without fingerprinting.

    The delays in Newport News aren't coming from those seeking guns but from the Newport News Police Department, which oversees fingerprinting, according to league President Philip Van Cleave, who wrote to city officials.

    League officials have heard that police have told gun applicants that the department lacks funding for someone to do the fingerprinting.

    The problem could be eased if the city accepted fingerprint cards from other police departments, Van Cleave said. The city has no law against that, said Len Ringler, an assistant city attorney.



    Is it just me, or does the term " guns" constantly get misused in the article? The writer makes it a little confusing, when he is talking about CHP's, and keeps referring people having to wiat longer periods to get Guns.

    Sorry I wanted to be there , but had to work.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    842

    Post imported post

    cdunlop, I agree with you; the article was written very poorly.It makes it sounds like people are having trouble getting a permit to own a handgun, not carry one concealed. Thankfully in VA you don't need any sort of permit to buy a gun.

  5. #5
    Regular Member possumboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dumfries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,090

    Post imported post

    TEX1N wrote:
    cdunlop, I agree with you; the article was written very poorly.It makes it sounds like people are having trouble getting a permit to own a handgun, not carry one concealed. Thankfully in VA you don't need any sort of permit to buy a gun.
    Yes, in VA we just have the requirement to buy One Gun a Month. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA, ,
    Posts
    689

    Post imported post

    ...and if you have a CHP, it is my understanding, that the One-Gun-A-Month is waived.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Smithfield, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    DoubleR wrote:
    ...and if you have a CHP, it is my understanding, that the One-Gun-A-Month is waived.
    Correct you are . Although, it should be pointed out that it's One-Handgun-A-Month (CHP exempted), we can buy as many rifles/shotguns as we darned well please .

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burke/Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    998

    Post imported post

    I really can't believe that reporters and editors can be that far off on their fact checking.

    And NRA_Bear, welcome to OCDO!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mebane, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    342

    Post imported post

    Any update on what happened at the meeting, how many folks came to support Mr. Van Cleave, etc.? I had to work, so I was unable to attend.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    23

    Post imported post

    i was there and the meeting went great. the pres and local coordinator of vcdl both spoke. at one point there was a retard councillman claiming to support the 2nd amendment but saying things like, "why do you need a gun in a library?". the local guy(forgot his name) simply said that there is no requirement to demonstrate need and that its a right, not a priveledge.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •