• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HOT: VCDL President to speak to Newport News City Council 12 SEP 06

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

If you can make this, please attend - even if you live in North Carolina!

FROM VCDL ALERT [Philip van Cleave] TONIGHT:

For those who can come to show support, the Newport News City Council
meeting is tomorrow, Tuesday, September 12th.

I will be representing VCDL and will address the NN City Council
about the NN Police department's long fingerprinting delays for CHP
applicants and also the 'no guns' signs in NN libraries.

The meeting starts at 7:30 PM. I plan on being there around 7 PM
with 'Guns Save Lives' badges for those who don't have one.

Here is the location:

2400 Washington Ave.
Newport News, VA 23607

City Council Chambers are behind the City Hall building.

As is customary for VCDL, we will go to a local restaurant after the meeting.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

HOT NEWS STORY - maybe this controversey will help us kill fingerprinting

Story omits the fact that only 26% of localities actual exercise their optional authority to fingerprint - not even Richmond, Fairfax County, or VA Beach fingerprint.

http://tinyurl.com/gbk9f

Gun rights group leaders to decry permit delays
BY SETH FREEDLAND
247-7840
September 12, 2006
NEWPORT NEWS -- Leaders from one of Virginia's largest gun rights groups plan to attend tonight's City Council meeting to condemn what they see as delays with concealed handgun permits in Newport News.

Virginia law allows a maximum waiting period of 45 days after a person has applied for a gun. Some permits are issued as much as 30 days later than that, according to the Northern Virginia-based Virginia Citizens Defense League.

At issue is a 2004 attorney general's opinion that makes applicants' paperwork incomplete without fingerprinting.

The delays in Newport News aren't coming from those seeking guns but from the Newport News Police Department, which oversees fingerprinting, according to league President Philip Van Cleave, who wrote to city officials.

League officials have heard that police have told gun applicants that the department lacks funding for someone to do the fingerprinting.

The problem could be eased if the city accepted fingerprint cards from other police departments, Van Cleave said. The city has no law against that, said Len Ringler, an assistant city attorney.

cdunlop

imported post

Mike wrote:
HOT NEWS STORY - maybe this controversey will help us kill fingerprinting

Story omits the fact that only 26% of localities actual exercise their optional authority to fingerprint - not even Richmond, Fairfax County, or VA Beach fingerprint.

http://tinyurl.com/gbk9f

Gun rights group leaders to decry permit delays
BY SETH FREEDLAND
247-7840
September 12, 2006
NEWPORT NEWS -- Leaders from one of Virginia's largest gun rights groups plan to attend tonight's City Council meeting to condemn what they see as delays with concealed handgun permits in Newport News.

Virginia law allows a maximum waiting period of 45 days after a person has applied for a gun. Some permits are issued as much as 30 days later than that, according to the Northern Virginia-based Virginia Citizens Defense League.

At issue is a 2004 attorney general's opinion that makes applicants' paperwork incomplete without fingerprinting.

The delays in Newport News aren't coming from those seeking guns but from the Newport News Police Department, which oversees fingerprinting, according to league President Philip Van Cleave, who wrote to city officials.

League officials have heard that police have told gun applicants that the department lacks funding for someone to do the fingerprinting.

The problem could be eased if the city accepted fingerprint cards from other police departments, Van Cleave said. The city has no law against that, said Len Ringler, an assistant city attorney.

Is it just me, or does the term " guns" constantly get misused in the article? The writer makes it a little confusing, when he is talking about CHP's, and keeps referring people having to wiat longer periods to get Guns.

Sorry I wanted to be there , but had to work.

TEX1N

imported post

cdunlop, I agree with you; the article was written very poorly.It makes it sounds like people are having trouble getting a permit to own a handgun, not carry one concealed. Thankfully in VA you don't need any sort of permit to buy a gun.

possumboy

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
cdunlop, I agree with you; the article was written very poorly.It makes it sounds like people are having trouble getting a permit to own a handgun, not carry one concealed. Thankfully in VA you don't need any sort of permit to buy a gun.
Yes, in VA we just have the requirement to buy One Gun a Month. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

NRA_Bear

imported post

DoubleR wrote:
...and if you have a CHP, it is my understanding, that the One-Gun-A-Month is waived.
Correct you are :D. Although, it should be pointed out that it's One-Handgun-A-Month (CHP exempted), we can buy as many rifles/shotguns as we darned well please ;).

alexander hamilton

imported post

i was there and the meeting went great. the pres and local coordinator of vcdl both spoke. at one point there was a retard councillman claiming to support the 2nd amendment but saying things like, "why do you need a gun in a library?". the local guy(forgot his name) simply said that there is no requirement to demonstrate need and that its a right, not a priveledge.