• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

22 for mom

357luvr

imported post

This doesn't pertain to OCing so feel free to delete this post. I hope you don't though because I really need your advice.

Here's the situation; My mom has only shot a gun twice in her life. Once was years ago when she wanted to scare away a stray dog or something. Then the other day she wanted to shoot my new Sig229 .40 caliber. She's always hated guns and cringed at the thought of even touching one so I was VERRRY suprised when she asked. I quickly agreed and loaded up the gun for her with one round in the mag. She shot that one and asked for another. WOW!! The first shot didn't even hit the paper but when she shot the second one, she was only about 8" off. This was from about 7 yards. I congratulated her on a job well done (for her it was) and constructively showed her a few things she did wrong. Anyway, I've decided to get her a 22 but I'm lost as to what to get her. I don't even know if I should get a revolver or a semi-auto. I've got a ruger 10/22 on the way so if she decides she wants to shoot a rifle, that's what I'll let her shoot. But I think she's more attracted to pistols and was wondering what you all think I should get her. It needs to be accurate first and foremost since she'll need all the help she can get with this. It also needs to be simple to take down and clean since I'll at least try to get her to do this as well. The other things that are important are recoil, weight, and noise it makes. I don't have a lot of money right now so it also needs to be fairly cheap. This doesn't make a lot of difference to me but it also has to be a 'nice' lookinggun. I'm afraid the baretta neos is a little to akward looking for her so that's probably not an option. I'll get her opinion on it soon if you all think that would be (one of) the best choices. Please give me a variety of choices both for revolvers and autos on what you all think would be the best choice.

One other thing, I haven't taught a new shooter how to shoot in quite some time. I feel that this will give me a good opportunity to refresh myself on the basics. Please give me a run down of the things I need to teach her both about safety and proper shooting techniques. I was the rifle captain of my high school's JROTC program so the safety part I've pretty much got down. However I may forget to tell her something that is now second nature to myself. As far as the shooting techniques, rifle techniques are what I've always taught and need a refresher course on what to say.

Thanks for all your help with this. Again, since this is an open carry discussion forum, I'll understand if you, the moderators, decide to delete this post. But everyone's gotta start somewhere and what better place to start than the questions I've asked here. Thanks again.

VAopencarry

imported post

Walther P22. It shoots well, is nice looking, same style as the larger caliber Walther's. Take down is easy but putting it back together isn't quite as easy. You have to use a 'guide rod' to keep the recoil spring from bending when reassembling. It takes a few tries to get the hang of it. FWIW, I love my little P22 but it's the only .22 handgun I have owned.

Maybe send her some pics of revovlers and semi's and see what style she thinks is 'prettier' and explain a little about the differences and see what she thinks about them.

Good Luck!

357luvr

imported post

Does the walther dislike certain ammo? I've got 5,000 rounds of PMC 22lr on the way and would prefer something that will handle the PMC ammo without a problem.

As far as the walther is concerned, is it worth the extra money to get the compensated version? My mom handled the the .40 caliber without too much problem and a 22 is a huge step down and I really am totally strapped for cash. I had never considered the walther but I like the idea of getting one. That's mainly because it leaves the option of getting a TAC 65 silencer open. I've always wanted a silenced weapon and if I decide to get the walther, all I'll need is a threaded barrel and the silencer itself.

VAopencarry

imported post

When it was new the slide didn't fully cycle a fews times, using standard velocity ammo. I started using CCI mini mag High Velocity and Velocitor ammo and have not had a problem. I suspect standard rounds would probably work now that it's broken in.

I don't think they have a compensated version. However, it wouldn't be needed anyway. It comes with 3.4" barrel or the Target 5". They are not cheap. Maybe you can find a used .22. When I was shopping for a .22 I thought they were all too pricey for what they are.

http://www.waltheramerica.com/firearms/p22.cfm

357luvr

imported post

I just called my local gun store and they have a usedwalther P22 with both barrels (the 3.4" and the 5") for $325. I'm going to take my mom up there today and see how it feels in her hands. I'll get her to try out a few other guns and most likely make a purchase today. Please post your opinions as soon as you can.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Why after all this time is your mom suddenly interested in guns? Could it possibly be because she doesn't feel safe and wants a gun for protection? If that is the case, then a .22 may not be the best gun for you to get her. I'd pry a little bit and see what she would like it for. I got my mom a stainless .357, but she keeps it loaded with .38s. She lives alone out on a quiet country road, and I worry a little less about her knowing that she has a handgun to protect herself with.

357luvr

imported post

I think the reason why she's interested in guns all of a sudden is because she wants to be able to do something with me. We've never had much in common and I think she's just looking for something that we can do together. I went ahead and bought the P22. It's fun enough for me and accurate/low recoil enough for her. She hasn't gotten a chance to shoot it yet but she liked the way it felt at the gun store. I could've gotten a little SA revolver for her for like half the price of what I paid for the walther but I wouldn't have liked it. She stressed that she didn't want me to buy a gun just for her so that's why I got the P22. Now all I need isa few quick tips on how to teach her to shoot both safely and accurately.

VAopencarry

imported post

It's a fun little gun.

As far as teaching her goes, just cover the basics and maybe add a little more each time you go to the range. I taught my kids(14&19)this summer. Of course I drilled safety into their heads. Then just covered sight alignment, sight picture, clear tip of the front site, firm grip, trigger pull. I did this before going to the range.

357luvr

imported post

It is a fun little gun. I gotta admit, even though I'm not a 22 fan, I like it. She shot it once (just into the ground) and she seemed to like it as well. She was actually talking about how anxious she was to set up a target her next day off which tickled the hoohah out of me. I can't wait for her to shoot it again and get her full opinion of it. The only thing I dislike about it is that it's pretty darn loud for a 22.

gunnersmatevls

imported post

ive got a P22 Target, 22s are a lot cheaper than 45 ammo, and i love it. No problems with the gun, and lots of fun to shoot, the barrrels wheight does help.

357luvr

imported post

Okay so after putting about 500 rounds through the gun, both I and my mom have noticed something. Most of the time, the trigger pull is normal. However every once in a while the trigger pull will be normal up to the last 1/16" and at that time you have to pull about twice as hard to get the gun to go off. :cuss:I've all but decided to sell it back to the gunstore I bought it from and buy a ruger of some sorts. I've never owned a ruger 22 and was just looking for some opinions of them. I would buy a Pheonix Arms HP22 but they're very picky about the ammo they will eat and will break if you shoot high velocity ammo out of them. I've got about 5000 rounds of PMC High-Velocityammo and I want a gun that will eat them without problem. Are ruger's picky about eating certain types of ammo? Are ruger's reliable and/or accurate? Can you suggest a certain model? How much does ruger's cost? I suspect that I'll only get about $200 for the walther P22 that I have which has both the short and long barrel (paid $325) and I was hoping to be able to get something for about $300.

Thanks.

SFDoc

imported post

Try eitherthe Ruger Single or Super Six or the Heritage Rough Rider,both areSA revolversfires both 22 LR and 22 mag. Boughtmy Rugerin the70s and I've fired just about every brand that is out there without a problem.I just boughttheHeritage and fired about a thousand rounds before cleaning it and it shot with no problem.. I don't know what the Ruger sells for now, the Heritage is around $200 +/- new.Both are very easy to take downfor cleaning and by being revolvers, they are very forgiving when not properly cleaned (unlike many semi-autos). Both are very accurate, fun guns to shoot and well made (IMHO).

357luvr

imported post

Well I've all but sold my P22 to my uncle. As far as my next .22, I recently purchased a Glock 27 and I plan to get an Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit for the glock. Either that or buy back a New England Firearms .22 revolver that I sold to a friend of mine. I just don't know if he's willing to sell it though. My mom really likes the feel of my Glock so I'll probabaly get the AA conversion kit.