• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

self defense situation

VAopencarry

imported post

hmmm, not sure what to make of that. Who the hell in Canada carry's? Then he steals their camera. The guy with the gun could be in a lot of trouble in a hurry. But since he posted the video I guess the troublemakers didn't call the law. I am skeptical to it's legitimacy.

VApatriot

imported post

That was really odd. It does seem almost too odd to be real. That commentary was quite disturbing, and the actions taken by the BMW driver weren't the smartest. If it was real, the best thing to do would have been to drive to a police station or at least a highly populated area first. Driving to a secluded dead-end was not a good idea.

razorblade

imported post

It was shot "too perfect" for it to be real. It just so happened the guy with the camera felt it important to film the hick searching in the pickup for the bat, and to catch both him and BMW guy perfectly in the same frame. Somewhat calm voices, no yelling. Also, when BMW guy whips the gun out, the guy with the camera was still able to maintain his wits to film cleary, STEADY, video. Every scene was filmed for a reason, from the following, to digging in the pickup for the bat, to the confrontation, to when the girl is shown walking up to steal the camera. And why stop with just a camera, why not take wallets too? It would be pretty hard explaining to the police WHY they got robbed. Nah, I'm willing to bet my money this was staged. But I do like it :)

sandy

imported post

It was staged. There is a URL in the video. Go there, and read the discussion. They never intended for anyone to think it was real, they just wanted a laugh for posting a cool video.

It is a cool video, and worth watching just for the fun of it. But it is not a real example of defensive gun use.

--Sandy (WA)

sandy

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Methinks this was nothing but a 'dramatization'.

A few points to critique-

1) While some idiot criminals will videotape themselves commiting a crime, its usually the teen vandal types playing at "Jackass", emulating incredibly bad behavior, and documenting it to show their friends. Im not sure that same reason would apply here- Theres no apparent benefit in videotaping their alleged harrassment, other than how stupid it is to chase people down on a public road.

2) There really never appeared to be sufficient cause for the 'rednecks' to take offense to- and their commentary never goes beyond empty criticizm. Neither seemed actually 'angry'.

3) The video is repeatedly cut as opposed to a single take. It may have been done after taping to save on bandwidth- but there are some other problems.

4) Like the Louisville Slugger seeming to anticipate the armed man by raising his hands over his head like a bank hostage.

5) Like the armed man directing his female partner to take the camera-- which places her between his pistol and the dopey camera operator. I question the likelihood that anyone would hand over their property to pass up a chance to place a hostage between them and a gun.

6) Like the woman continuing to tape as they drive away.

7) And no one has a cell phone?

It just doesnt have that ring of truth. IRL, road rage is seething blind anger, punctuated by shaking fists in the air, screaming, meanacing, aggresive and threatening behavior. The confrontation timetable is extremely short, like a tea kettle ready to boil over,... the enraged often do not have the cognitive abilities to even observe that their victim is even armed, let alone anticipate resistance from them.

darrel_h

imported post

ok, so i maybe i jumped the gun (no pun intended) on this one. you all make some very good points and i probably have to agree with you, in hindsight. all in all though, a pretty good video, even if it is fake. i enjoyed it.