• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah CFP Class - October 1 - Woodbridge Virginia

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I prefer OC however, since OC is not always feasible and I know most folks like to have the widest area of coverage with their permits I figured I would post this information.....

Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP) Classes

Your Virginia permit is currently accepted in only 19 states.
The Utah CFP is currently accepted in 30 states.

If you desire to get your Utah permit you can email the instructor at 4utahpermits@gmail.com or call 703-229-1712 to register or to get additional information. Leave your name and phone number(s).

The cost of the course is $75.00.

There is a shooting requirement (32 of 40 shots (80%) or better at a man sized silhouette at 10 yards) with a .38 special and/or a 9mm (20 shots each or 40 from either) Students are encouraged to provide their own firearms and ammunition, however, rental guns and ammo can be provided at a minimal cost if needed.

For admission, unless prior arrangements are made, a valid home state permit must be presented on the day of the class. Classes are normally scheduled one Sunday of each month from 8AM until Noon at Shooters’ Paradise, Woodbridge, Virginia. All payments need to be made in cash to the instructor on the day of the class. Pre-registration is required. Walk-ins will not be permitted.

jimwyant

imported post

pourshot wrote:
There is a shooting requirement (32 of 40 shots (80%) or better at a man sized silhouette at 10 yards) with a .38 special and/or a 9mm (20 shots each or 40 from either).
Are these the only caliber choices for training/qualification? Is there a restriction on the permit itself that limits one to these calibers? I'll be out of the country on 01 OCT, but may be able to catch the November class.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The restriction - 38 special or 9mm ammo is based on the course curriculum that was approved by the BCI and cannot be deviated from without redoing the entire curriculum. It does not in any way impact the gun you can carry as that is not annotated on any of the paperwork or the permit itself.

Either or both of those calibers can be rented the day of the class for only $5 and ammo purchased for $10.

zoom6zoom

imported post

I took this class earlier this year - it's worth it. The Utah permit itself runs $59, requires passport type photo and fingerprints with app. I believe the renewal fee is only ten bucks.

smo

imported post

Mike wrote:
A UT permit is required to open carry a loaded handgun openly in UT.

Ture, however you may openly carry a unloaded handgun in Utah with no permit. Utah's definition of unloaded only means at least two actions away from firing. So, you may carry a semiauto with a loaded mag without a permit. If you want a loaded chamber, you do need the permit.

TEX1N

imported post

Mike wrote:
A UT permit is required to open carry a loaded handgun openly in UT.
Does it have to be a UT permit, or just a permit recognized by UT? PDO is down (again), so I was unable to check out exactly what the law is.